Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone had experience of this?

(63 Posts)
teabagwoman Sun 12-Aug-18 08:14:27

My 4 year old DGD has never shown the slightest interest in drawing, colouring, painting or any other craft activity. At nursery, if they try to involve her in a craft activity, she says “no thank you” very politely and firmly and heads in the opposite direction. If there’s absolutely nothing else to do she will produce a few, very small squiggles with a pencil and that’s that. We’ve all tried to create plenty of opportunities but you can take a horse to water......... Has anyone else had experience of this? How did it turn out? Do I need to worry?l

Nannarose Mon 13-Aug-18 16:59:17

I am sure that nursery are keeping an eye on her. The concern is really about fine motor skills ( needed in a wide range of occupations, including neurosurgery!) but they can be encouraged in other ways, as lots of grans have suggested.

Jalima1108 Mon 13-Aug-18 17:02:50

and put together flat pack furniture.
Truly impressive, annodomini!

At nursery, if they try to involve her in a craft activity, she says “no thank you” very politely and firmly and heads in the opposite direction
I like this child, even though I've never met her!

Legs55 Mon 13-Aug-18 17:47:13

I was never much of a child for drawing & painting although I loved the "Magic Painting" books. As a teenager I hated sewing, never learnt to knit but in my late teens onwards I started to make my own clothes. DD was hopeless, even at College I had to make one of her projects as she was totally out of her depth, as an Adult she is now very creative.

DGS1 has balance problems (mild Dyspraxia), he swims very well, has just learnt to ride a bike. The key is in the way he's taught to do things, he loves reading & playing with figures, wonderful imagination.

I wouldn't worry too much if a 4 year old doesn't want to do drawing etc, the more you push, the more likely that she will dig her heels in & not do it. Don't put her off activities for life, try & find out what she likes doing. She sounds very determined, I was very like her as a child, she will find her own level & School will soon inform her Parents if there are concerns.

Eglantine21 Mon 13-Aug-18 18:07:33

Oh I just love flat pack furniture ! It’s one of my favourite occupations.

And no thank you to painting unless it’s redecorating a room. Or drawing unless it’s a garden or house plan.

We all have different ways of being creative.

teabagwoman Mon 13-Aug-18 18:20:05

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I have tried not to worry about this but I have great difficulty with fine motor activities and worry that she will have to cope with the same difficulties at school that I did. She does have excellent gross motor skills however and loves the gymnastics class that I take her to. You’ve made me realise that I may be doing more harm than good so, for the time being, Nana’s is going to be a craft free zone and we’ll see how things go. Thanks once again.

justwokeup Mon 13-Aug-18 19:15:40

It must be a bit sad for you too if you love an activity and your DGD doesn't. And the same for her of course. I think Eglantine's creative ideas are great. Your DGD will join in if she wants to. I loved craft and reading with my DC but DGC shows little interest in craft and runs to the other end of the room when I pick up a story book! But I read aloud 'to myself' and gradually DGC sidles past to look at the pictures, then later on I hear a little voice repeating the story perfectly! On the other hand, my DGC is already an expert in yoga, running, football and climbing. Perhaps you could join your DGD in some of the many suitable outdoor activities for her - activity toys in the garden, swimming, kids gym, dancing, drumming ... Have fun. grin

justwokeup Mon 13-Aug-18 19:24:13

Oops sorry, teabag missed your post while I was typing (and eating). blush

teabagwoman Mon 13-Aug-18 19:41:09

No problem Justwokeup and you've given me an idea. I used to do yoga and can perhaps get her to join me in a few moves. Good for rainy days. Mind you she may have to help me up off the floor afterwards!

Nannarose Tue 14-Aug-18 11:51:30

Gross motor skills can merge with fine motor skills. In some education philosophies, children 'draw' in the air, with a ribbon, or a glow light, then do large paintings before they do smaller things. I think in some yoga, you make patterns in the air, if not, then make up your own version!

Bridgeit Tue 14-Aug-18 16:05:25

Just occurred to me if you would have the same concerns if she didn’t like physical activities , dancing , for example.

Bridgeit Tue 14-Aug-18 16:06:49

Ohhps sorry already been suggested, I don’t think you need to be concerned

Boolya Tue 14-Aug-18 21:43:01

At age 3 my daughter could only manage to draw a pin man, our niece at age 3 could draw a person with all limbs and facial features. Our daughter went on to gain a 1st class honours degree in design and illustration and makes her living as a very successful graphic designer. The moral here is to be patient, some things take time!