Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why do you use Gransnet?

(160 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 17-Aug-18 12:21:11

We'd really like to improve Gransnet and to do so we want to understand why you use it? If you'd prefer to name change for this you're very welcome to in My Gransnet.
Is it for information? Chat? Interest in other people's lives? Giving or receiving advice? Connecting to other people? Do you log in because you're bored/need a distraction and want to while away some time? Or do you come looking for something specific?
Do you use it in place of reading a book/watching TV/having a snack/looking at Facebook?
Do you visit at certain times of the day? First thing in the morning? At night? If there was something we could that would encourage you to use it more or differently, what is that thing?
No need to answer absolutely all of these obviously but anything you can tell us would be really helpful. Thank you! smile

Grandma2213 Sun 07-Oct-18 01:39:23

For those of us who spend a lot of time alone it is 'contact' with someone out there. It is also great for those of us who are 'owls' or 'larks' when there is usually no one else around. In times when you need to share stress or problems there is always support from someone with similar experiences. It gives some perspective on issues where there are a range of opinions and makes you think 'outside the box'. Yes there is some acid but you don't have to respond, after all.
I have also met some lovely people on 'meet ups'. At our time of life it can be difficult to meet new people in the flesh, though on this site it can still be virtual if you wish!
Yes I like Gransnet. You can log in regularly or give it a break It does not matter as you are in control.

etheltbags1 Sun 07-Oct-18 19:33:05

I fist started on gnet about 4 years ago and to be honest I loved winding people up . However after a cancer diagnosis and the tremendous support from g netters, I now take care to listen and support others, this has taught me compassion in my everyday life. I also know I can rant about various problems and someone will listen. Love to you all
T

Grandma2213 Mon 08-Oct-18 01:30:43

etheltbags1 smile flowers

Cared21 Tue 09-Oct-18 10:08:11

I like to follow certain threads, mainly news and politics. I've never posted but one day I might. At the moment I enjoy following the debates.

sazz1 Sat 13-Oct-18 15:06:44

I love it as it is but agree that a like button would be a good addition to the discussions

Sielha Sun 14-Oct-18 00:50:10

I can offload without anyone being hurt. Pretty much all of the responses are supportive and I like to add my own support to those in need when I feel I have something to offer.

kittylester Wed 17-Oct-18 15:50:00

Lovely post Ethel!

Jalima1108 Wed 17-Oct-18 16:12:16

ethel smile

Any time you want a rant or need some wise words wink we're here!

Jalima1108 Wed 17-Oct-18 16:13:38

I love it as it is but agree that a like button would be a good addition to the discussions
hmm not sure, it could make you feel a bit despondent if no-one liked your posts