Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What cheers you up?

(63 Posts)
petitpois Thu 30-Aug-18 17:22:41

I've had a long, frustrating day of form-filling, misunderstandings and bureaucracy. And walking so my feet are aching. Now I'm at home, planning on running a hot bath, and I've picked up one of those takeaway Thai meals from Waitrose. Planning on snuggling on the sofa and watching a movie. What cheers you up after a long day?

Anniebach Sat 01-Sep-18 08:55:37

My granddaughters face timing me.

GNet, eases my isolation.

The good morning thread on GNet, would be awful not being able to say or read ‘good morning’

inishowen Sat 01-Sep-18 09:01:39

When I open facebook and see photos of my grandchildren I'm instantly cheered. I also love to sit down at 7pm with a glass of chilled wine while dear husband makes the dinner. Then it's an evening of watching tv and relaxing.

Craftycat Sat 01-Sep-18 09:05:49

A nice G&T.
A sunbed on the garden with a good book.
Both together is bliss.

Saggi Sat 01-Sep-18 09:16:11

Cleaned the fridge out yesterday.... went down to make my usual cuppa about 6.00 ...opened the door to fridge and it was GLEAMING back at me.... luvvy jubbly!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 01-Sep-18 09:42:52

Simple things like a nice cup of tea in a favourite cup and saucer. Feet up on the sofa with a good book. Looking at a new flower in the garden.

Juggernaut Sat 01-Sep-18 09:52:50

Opening the bedroom curtains and seeing the beach/sea.
Sitting, with my first coffee of the day, always in my favourite china mug, watching dogs running on the beach.
Seeing DGS eating everything on his plate, and asking if there's any more veg!
Playing anything by the Beach Boys and dancing around the kitchen!!!

Minerva Sat 01-Sep-18 10:06:16

Gardening or a successful bit of DIY banishes the blues every time.
Yesterday I mended a wooden under bed storage thing which someone had stood in and damaged the corner and it’s castor. Having repaired the damaged wood I mended the castor with a small cotton reel which I sawed in half and drilled holes in and wired together from either side of the spindle.
You may all cheer now! The worst thing about not being part of a couple is having no-one to say “well done”. My offspring think I’m mad. Why not throw it away along with its undamaged pair and buy a new set? but I will always mend if I can work out a way to do it and it’s very cheering when I can.

Jangran99 Sat 01-Sep-18 10:15:24

Going to my Community Choir for a good old sing!
Sometimes I'm worn out and reluctant to get dressed up,but I always return full of beans ( and endorphins!)

Hm999 Sat 01-Sep-18 10:17:48

Little granddaughter reaching up for a cuddle.
Walking dog on beach first thing.

Teetime Sat 01-Sep-18 10:17:57

petitpois I see you ask specifically 'what cheers you up after a long day? I'm a simple soul - a bucket of Malbec, dark chocolate, a good film and a cuddle.

henetha Sat 01-Sep-18 10:29:41

Lots of the above. - A walk on the moors, flowers in the garden, getting messages from my family, a good film.
Also, a friendly smile and 'hello' from a passing stranger can cheer up my whole day.

henetha Sat 01-Sep-18 10:32:19

Oh yes, specifically after a long day.. A cup of tea and a good book, or good film to watch. With my feet up on the sofa.

GabriellaG Sat 01-Sep-18 10:33:10

Phone calls from my sons. I always get so emotional as I miss them very much but they tell me not to be daft...in a nice way.
Daughters are always clattering dishes when they ring or doing shopping and the background noise is so annoying. I'm going to the IoWight tomorrow with a Meetup photography group, Sunday lunch roastchicken in a nice restaurant and putting our best photos online after we get home.
I hope all GNers can find something cheeful to smile about this weekend.
sunshinegrin

4allweknow Sat 01-Sep-18 10:36:05

Having GC to stay, even for just a night.
Spontaneously being treated to a meal out (doesn't have to be grand) meaning I do t have to cook.
Not hearing any dogs barking in my area - bliss!

sarahellenwhitney Sat 01-Sep-18 11:24:17

Sad and I should really get a life but a large extra shot Costa Latte to go with one of their delicious pastries and sit in my car in the supermarket car park after doing my shopping watching the world go by.
Not completely useless! I was able to on one occasion help a young mother who was in tears when her' little helper 'dropped a box of eggs.

CazB Sat 01-Sep-18 11:32:42

Being with good friends.
A good book.
Having my hair done.
A G&T.
A long dog walk through the woods.
My GS's grin.

MissAdventure Sat 01-Sep-18 11:47:46

Putting on my slippers, and a lovely cup of home coffee.
A decent programme on the tv, and being able to walk by the sea.
My oldest grandson coming to visit..

sarahellenwhitney Sat 01-Sep-18 12:28:52

DanniRae.A dinner cooked for you ,a whisky?, diet coke ?and a packet crisps? Why the 'diet' coke ?The whisky and most certainly the crisps themselves defeats your object if you are on a special programme / diet let alone the sugars and fats what the dinner itself contains unless it's based on 'rabbit' food. Live a little throw out your diet coke.

Tillybelle Sat 01-Sep-18 12:38:32

Definitely my little dogs! Whether they are licking me, or dancing with glee because I have returned from, say, shopping, or curled up asleep on me, or running and skipping round each other in the garden. I couldn't live without them actually.

Maggiemaybe Sat 01-Sep-18 12:44:29

hmm

Maggiemaybe Sat 01-Sep-18 12:45:39

The hmm wasn’t for you or your dogs, Tillybelle. smile

loopyloo Sat 01-Sep-18 12:53:19

Ordering 6 lavender plants.

mimiro Sat 01-Sep-18 13:05:04

8 yr old granddaughter storming in with her 3 dogs,racoon and baby sister to play with my dog.kisses from all. and a nice picnic planned
many other things but this is todays.

Happysexagenarian Sat 01-Sep-18 13:59:29

My DH's smiling face - and better still snuggling up on the sofa with him and a glass of wine.

Auntieflo Sat 01-Sep-18 14:26:24

This morning, it was seeing our lovely new neighbour with her three month old twins, and their boxer puppy. ( I did get a lovely handwash from the puppy, I say puppy, she is 18 months old, but boxers never grow up, do they?). And, I did thoroughly wash my hands before going shopping. ?