Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Premium Bonds

(32 Posts)
Lindylou23 Tue 04-Sep-18 08:58:08

I have some savings in an ISA and not getting much return. I am considering putting the money into Premium Bonds, I realise there is no interest but was wondering if the occasional win (hopefully) would compensate for this.
I would be interested in your thoughts.
I have a £1 bond my grandmother bought me when they were introduced never a win lol.

Tony2018 Tue 04-Sep-18 19:54:58

It’s only been for the past couple of years that you have been able to have a thousand a year interest tax free. The government could easily reduce the tax free amount or get rid of it altogether, in which case if you had transferred a substantial amount out of ISAs you’ll have lost the tax free wrapper.

Willow500 Tue 04-Sep-18 20:53:55

I had £1000 in for 2 years and never won anything - I pulled it out last year and invested it along with the rest into property. Hopefully that will gain more than the nil amount I won!

notanan2 Tue 04-Sep-18 21:12:45

You can go to the NS&I website and look at the last few months winners, not their names but it shows how much they had in bonds. The lower amounts (£100-£1000) don't feature as much which makes sense. Occasionally you see a small number with a big win but even the smaller wins usually go to people with > £5000 in.

harrigran Tue 04-Sep-18 23:07:13

I usually make between £500 and £800 a year on premium bonds which beats most of my bank accounts.
I would never spend money on the lottery so bought bonds instead.

MawBroon Wed 05-Sep-18 06:08:00

I was feeling very disappointed and left out of this conversation but have just woken up to an ns&i email telling me I have won another £50 smile
That makes £250 since any were first drawn in May. So if I can average £50 per month that’s £600 a year which is better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick as my grandpa used to say.
If interest rates are up by more than I have won by the end of 12 months I will reconsider, but for the moment I enjoy the little flutter and it’s safer than the 2.30 at Wincanton!

BlueBelle Wed 05-Sep-18 06:21:18

My mum bought my kids premium bonds when they were born 40/50 years ago Thevy ve never had a penny win on any of them not a bean