Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Songs for an Alzheimer's group!

(55 Posts)
kittylester Wed 05-Sep-18 15:26:34

I help at a Memory Cafe where we always finish with singing.

The song sheets and CDs we have are a bit hard going and often we have people going faster than the track. So, the other volunteer and I decided that we would try and compile a list of songs for people of around our age that can be sung just using the word sheet.

What would you like to sing, with others. We have a couple of ex professional singers who are very good at keeping the tune going.

Ones that always go down well are Que Sera, This Old House, Michael Row Your Boat and most early Elvis.

All help gratefully received. (There's another - Help)

Allegretto Sun 09-Sep-18 17:14:54

The singers and their carers will have lots of ideas too. A group I helped with always finished with “Show me the way to go home” (normal speed first then speeded up version, sung with everybody up on their feet). It ended the session with a laugh and everybody loved the routine.

Farmnanjulie Sun 09-Sep-18 15:25:36

First and second world war songs ,were ones my dad who had dementia liked were.
Daisy, daisy give me your answer do.
It's a long way to Tipperary
Keep the home fires burning.
The Lambeth walk
White cliffs of Dover
When I'm cleaning windows
You find a great age range will know these.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 23:17:12

Lola
My Sweet Lord
You're so Vain
The Boys are back in Town
Bohemian Rhapsody
Jolene
Midnight Train to Georgia
Maggie May
Life on Mars
Teenage Kicks
Heart of Glass

Or perhaps they aren't his 'cup of tea'
Older residents may like those too

Yearoff Thu 06-Sep-18 23:08:34

My hubby has young onset dementia. He's still only 60. None of these song hold any special memories for him. My SIL and I play keyboard and sing once a week at the residential home he now lives in. The older residents love it but he always looks like he would like to murder us. He needs someone singing songs from the 70's. (None very easy to sing btw!).

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 19:38:15

and any other old codgers out there still fans of the Beach Boys??
Yes, I have a CD I play in the car!
'Wouldn't it be nice' to play it all day?

MiniMoon Thu 06-Sep-18 19:36:47

What about My boy Lollipop, my Dad loved that one, and Millie of course.

Kathjohn32 Thu 06-Sep-18 19:30:43

Any Beatles or Elvis songs would probably be good for people in their 70s.

Legs55 Thu 06-Sep-18 16:11:48

Plenty of good suggestions, I must admit I'm a great fan of WWI songs, memories of my Granddad who knew all the rude words & to lots of hymns tooblush, I'm only 63 & have a very active brain for now at least . Late 50s/60s & early 70s is my era of music. Lots to choose from.

cassandra264 Thu 06-Sep-18 13:21:36

Motown the Musical hasn't taken off for no reason... and any other old codgers out there still fans of the Beach Boys??

Rufus2 Thu 06-Sep-18 13:03:22

"Show me the way to go home" always gets me!

helenmabr Thu 06-Sep-18 12:27:56

A windmill in old Amsterdam - by Ronnie Hilton.
Walk tall by val Doonican
Paddy McGinties goat by val Doonican
Donald where’s your troosers !

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 11:18:41

You'll Never Walk Alone (Carousel and also Gerry and the Pacemakers)

I knew all the words of the songs from South Pacific when I was a teenager!

mrsmopp Thu 06-Sep-18 09:56:41

West Side Story has some great songs. Tonight Tonight; I just met a girl named Maria etc.

lesley4357 Thu 06-Sep-18 09:50:19

Early Beatles

David1968 Thu 06-Sep-18 09:28:57

A group I know of often sing "songs from the shows". Such as "The Sound of Music" and "South Pacific". These songs seem to be popular and people know the words, because so many of these songs were played on the radio. Worth a try?

Hm999 Thu 06-Sep-18 09:24:13

My dad used to sing me music hall songs, and I'm now passing them onto to my DGD. Daisy Daisy, My old man said follow the van etc. Leonard Sachs and The Good Old Days gave these songs a revival when some of us were in our teens and 20s.

mcem Thu 06-Sep-18 08:52:55

I was discussing this very thing with my DGD who works in a care home and is very involved with these activities.
I hoped that they weren't stuck in the WW1 and WW2 rut as my generation simply don't associate with these songs. She reassured me, saying that the Rat Pack is just about right for most . Sinatra and Dean Martin are very popular along with musicals like Oklahoma and South Pacific etc.

Blinko Thu 06-Sep-18 08:41:43

I Can See Clearly now, the rain has gone..
Rivers of Babylon,
Supercalifragelisticexpialidocious..
Swing Low Sweet Chariot,
This Little Light of Mine, I'm gonna let it shine...

knitnut Thu 06-Sep-18 08:33:54

funny - sorry I wasn't wearing glasses when typing.

knitnut Thu 06-Sep-18 08:32:41

I used to have a cd of well loved family hymns that I played for my mum. We would sing along to them. I took it in the car with us too when we went out for drives. Yes we did get some fummy looks when stopped at traffic lights, windows open and singing Jesus loves me this I know.
Thanks kittylester for reminding me of these happy memories of my mum.

MissAdventure Thu 06-Sep-18 08:17:48

High ho! Silver lining, everywhere you go now baby.. I see your sun is shining..

Humbertbear Thu 06-Sep-18 08:14:21

My mother is 97 and doesn’t have Alzheimer’s but she eschews all the social functions in her sheltered housing because she loathes the songs of the thirties and forties. Give her Queen, ABBA , the BeeGees and Barry Manilow. Unless the people in this group are over 85 war time songs will mean little to them.

TillyWhiz Thu 06-Sep-18 08:03:20

The 60s were definitely Elvis
Can't help faling in love
Return to Sender

And the Beatles
Yellow Submarine
I want to hold your hand
She loves you
Please Mr Postman
We can work it out
When I'm 64

and Cliff