Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Great grandson terrified of flying.

(40 Posts)
Tartlet Tue 11-Sep-18 16:46:52

My daughter has asked whether I’d like to go on holiday next year with her and her youngest child. She is hoping that I’ll bring one of her grandchildren, my great grandson, with me.

I’d like to do that but GGS (8) has never flown before and has said he doesn’t want to go if it means going on a plane. He genuinely seems terrified at the prospect. His mum thinks the thought of the holiday will get him on to the plane but his dad thinks he’s likely to refuse to get on the plane at the last minute if we go ahead and book and assume that all will be well. So I’m in a quandary as to what to do.

My daughter wants to book soon to make sure of dates, hotel etc., but I’m worried about making any assumptions about whether GGS will be OK. We’ve been talking to him about flying for several weeks now trying to reassure him but he’s not having any of it.

What I wanted to ask was whether any if you have had similarly terrified children and if do, how you dealt with it. Any suggestions are welcome in case we haven’t thought of them. I have visions of being at the airport with a tearful child who’s refusing to get on the plane - which would be awful for everyone. He’s a sweet natured and biddable boy who’s just not very brave and the last thing I want to do is upset him and/or make his phobia worse.

mabon1 Wed 12-Sep-18 16:27:01

Don't book it. It would be psychologically damaging to drag him onto an aeroplane

PECS Wed 12-Sep-18 17:02:03

If it is,Spain that is not too difficult by boat & train. Ferry to Santader then train or across to France and train to Spain.

Jimbow15 Wed 12-Sep-18 17:07:00

It is not that unusual for a child to feel frightened to fly. I have worked and used Hypnosis and NLP combined on adults but only a few children.
Once children learn all about how the plane is built, fly and how safe it really is they can come around.
When I work with children who are afraid to fly we focus on every aspect of flying and the noise. Yes I do relax them and teach them to use NLP to see, feel and actually look forward to the plane journey.
Fear is all in the mind really and children are logical are accept facts more easily than Adults. They also like fun so we make fun in Hypnosis and NLP
Joseph. Child Psychotherapist.

icanhandthemback Wed 12-Sep-18 17:21:19

Perhaps he could have a go in a flying simulator to experience things in a safe environment first. It might well help assist to allay his fears. To be honest, the fear of the unknown is far worse than the reality so if there is a way of getting through this, it would be much better for him in the long run. He may not be a traveller but facing your fears is something he may have to do as an adult so it would be a good learning curve if it can be done in a sympathetic way.

Luckylegs9 Wed 12-Sep-18 17:23:36

I would find out what troubles him about flying, rather his parents should, if you can't calm him down I wouldn't make him go against his will, he will have a real phobia if they did that. It is wrong to just dismiss their concerns because they are a child, in a few years time when he sees friends and family flying off, he might decide to try it, if not there's other ways. If he was my grandchild, I would stay with him and have lovely days out or take him to the seaside by train, the rest of the family can have their holiday and everyone happy, couldn't see him upset.

Tartlet Wed 12-Sep-18 17:26:48

Blinko, I’ll research EFT, thank you.

Bijou, all he will say is that it’s ‘too high’. We’ve shown him old photos of his mum on planes with us in the past but no go.

Noname Wed 12-Sep-18 18:49:58

My elder DD was always really scared of flying and would grip my hand and cry for most of the flight when she was little. She ended up being a great traveller, visiting countries all over the world, often on her own ( now curbed due to becoming a mum!)
Not much help I know to the OP’s dilemma but I would say it might take time to overcome his fears.

Deedaa Wed 12-Sep-18 19:26:15

We never travelled abroad with our children (couldn't afford it) they didn't leave the country till they were in their late teens. They have both travelled extensively since and are none the worse for it. I'm sure the poor child will be perfectly happy having holidays here without the nightmare,of flying hanging over him.

Shizam Wed 12-Sep-18 20:18:15

Mine used to love visiting a regional airport when we were stay with friends. Watching the planes taking off and landing. If they have one, maybe try that a few times. Treat after at a restaurant. Then if you could find a cheap domestic day return flight where it doesn’t matter if he decides he doesn’t want to get on, for just him and a parent, that may be a better next step than booking a full blown holiday with lots of pressure on everyone. Travelling from airports is mega stressful these days. His first experiences need to be relaxed and calm. Are their any good children’s books that feature aeroplanes?

Craftycat Wed 12-Sep-18 22:59:28

There are many talking therapies to cure phobias which work really well for children.
It's worth looking into.
I was cured of fear of spiders in one 20 min session.

jaclovesdogs Thu 13-Sep-18 12:52:13

Children are resilient, therefore I would book the Holiday and even though he may be uptight at first he will soon calm down. Try to encourage him to play a few games to take his mind off if the plane taking off.

Deedaa Thu 13-Sep-18 23:41:36

Children aren't all resilient jaclovesdogs if this poor child has a horrible journey out he will have the nightmare of the the flight home hanging over him for the whole holiday. Why is it so important that he should be taken abroad?

Newquay Fri 14-Sep-18 04:14:44

Ooh crafty cat how did you do that? I hate spiders and it's that time of year again when the blighters are coming indoors.

Razzy Thu 22-Nov-18 23:45:19

If you do fly, let the crew know asap, it is also worth asking at the gate. Pilots are usually happy to have a chat and show kids the flight deck if it will help. It is often the case that kids have watched a scary plane video or heard something on the news. It is worth desensitiing by having some fun days out at smaller airports and maybe spotting different planes or airlines. Or visit a small local airfield.