Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Retirement Gift Ideas

(31 Posts)
clementine Wed 19-Sep-18 19:31:51

Hi everyone , one of my best friend's has retired and I wanted to buy her a personal gift as I have also retired but quite a while ago so wasn't able to contribute to the main gift , and anyway I would still want to buy her something myself .

Problem is , she never wears makeup , perfume I think , but that's a very personal thing, and has no hobbies or interests that I could buy something for . Her life revolves round caring for her six grandchildren and she places herself very low down the list of priorities so I would really like to treat her to something special. I know she would hate any kind of beauty treatment and is inclined to give things she's been bought to her daughters .

I am leaning towards jewellery , I teamed up with another friend and we bought her a watch for her 60th which she loved , so I know that jewellery might be a safe bet. Just wondered if there was anything else that anyone could perhaps suggest. Many thanks .

Lancslass1 Sat 22-Sep-18 13:29:03

I'm with JessK.
Afternoon tea at a nice hotel.
If you wanted to spend more you could take some flowers with you
I wouldn't buy jewellery -too personal and you might buy something you think she will love but she doesn't.

Another idea is to buy her an orchid.
I have dendrobium orchids that are years old but keep flowering.
I buy them online.
Excellent value.

HellsBells Sat 22-Sep-18 14:52:47

My daughter has a company called Dont Buy Her Flowers - which you can google and has gift ideas which would be suitable for retirement

BRedhead59 Sat 22-Sep-18 16:28:39

River pearls - they are interesting and unusual

Lilyflower Sun 23-Sep-18 06:16:16

National Trust subscription if there are nearby properties?

Sheis1948 Wed 10-Oct-18 17:56:58

Does she love roses? I recently purchased a Gold rose for my friend's mom and she really liked it. It's surely a unique gift. smile She will always remember you as this rose can be displayed and can serve as a memorabilia. If this won't work, I believe they also have plated rose jewelries. I found it on this link: www.anniversarygiftsbyyear.org/

I hope this helps! Good luck. smile