Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

DGS HAIRCUT

(46 Posts)
Brunette10 Sat 22-Sep-18 11:24:01

Hi our little DGS is just over the age of 2 and has had several visits to the barbers. Each time we dread, I say we I mean my DD and myself. She doesn't like going on her own. He is not amused and one of the times DH and myself took him he was just perfect. The next time at the same barbers with DH again it was awful, screamed the place down and left without haircut. DD is coming today and said 'we need to go to barbers'. Not sure how to make this process a good experience for him. Any ideas? Thank you. smile

Mamar2 Tue 02-Oct-18 12:15:47

All 3 of my GSs have long hair. They range from 2.5- 7.5yrs. Oldest wants his hair cutting shorter now like his 'mates' at school. I really hope his mummy puts her foot down at the short back & sides look. I can't imagine him now being without his long blonde hair.

I often wonder if they weren't facing the mirror to see someone coming at you with scissors. Must be scary for little ones.

Brunette10 Wed 26-Sep-18 19:14:53

Glad to say DGS got his hair trimmed today. Mummy took him into a shop we had previously taken him. He played with some toys the shop had and was fed a little treat and managed through sone tears to get a small trim. He still looks my little topper.

Aepgirl Tue 25-Sep-18 10:54:36

Could you go to a barbers or hairdressers that has special children's chairs and things to distract him? I think I would avoid going for a while as there is obviously something that is upsetting him and the hair of a 2-year-old cannot be that long. As long as the hair over his eyes is kept short (by you or his mum) that is OK.

justwokeup Tue 25-Sep-18 01:30:17

DD was frightened at the hairdressers so we asked the mobile hairdresser to call around and we all had our hair cut in one go! She was still nervous the first time but no tears and before long she was telling the hairdresser what style she wanted!

Hm999 Mon 24-Sep-18 22:38:47

Hairdresser in own home sounds the simplest solution.

Brunette10 Mon 24-Sep-18 19:23:17

{smile}

jenni123 Mon 24-Sep-18 18:09:52

at first glance I read your post headline as DOGS HAIRCUT and proceeded to read your post and was confused, I really should take the time to read things properly.

PECS Mon 24-Sep-18 17:50:12

I really dislike very short hair on any male unless they are balding. Not sure why I have this irrational and random attitude! DGS1 has thick unruly hair with a double crown and DD1 keeps his hair much shorter than I would if I was his mum, to keep it vaguely tidy. He is still, of course, an adorable child, despite his short locks!

BlueBelle Mon 24-Sep-18 17:10:07

Me too I love to see little lads with longish hair don’t like to see the low low cuts on small chaps plently of time when the6 are for it to be cut

Mapleleaf Mon 24-Sep-18 17:00:22

I never knew that, trisher. I knew about little boys being dressed the same way as little girls, but not the reason why.

trisher Mon 24-Sep-18 16:09:58

And of course no one cut a boy's hair until they were "breeched" - taken out of dresses and put into trousers-around the age of 5. The idea coming I believe because the mortality rate for boys was higher than that for girls, and the long hair and dress made their gender less obvious, and was thought to offer them protection.

Theoddbird Mon 24-Sep-18 15:44:28

Let his hair grow. Fashionable pony tail high on back of head like many sports guys wear it. My 2 1/2 grandson loves it. Looks lovely as he has very curly blond hair...oh and very masculine. His older brother wants a pony tail at his neck now. Why people think boys have to have a short back and sides I do not know Was something started in the 1st world war I think...long hair was normal before that My father had beautiful long blond curls when he was a lad.

Happysexagenarian Mon 24-Sep-18 15:10:49

DS1's first visit to hairdressers at age 2 1/2 was a disaster, he kicked, screamed and knocked over a stand of hair products! I just didn't bother again. I quite like tousled longer hair on little boys and when they did need a bit of a trim I did it myself while they watched TV. When eldest son was about eight he asked if he could go to the hairdressers one day and the younger ones went along too. Problem solved! I still cut DH hair.

Rosina Mon 24-Sep-18 14:49:05

My DS hated the barbers; he would get so upset, and so I tried sending him with OH. Evidently he almost passed out (DS, not OH) He grew out of this fear pretty quickly fortunately, but it is a lot more common than I first thought.

Willow500 Mon 24-Sep-18 14:40:46

Lupatria I can remember screaming and crying when my mum tried to brush my hair with all the 'cotters' (knots) in it! Her solution was to have all my hair cut off and she kept it short until I was able to deal with it myself sad

Lupatria Mon 24-Sep-18 14:33:06

my grandaughter has this problem. she cries and screams when she has to have her hair brushed.
she's been diagnosed on the autistic spectrum and, apparently hair brushing and cutting is a really painful experience for many of the children on the spectrum.

GabriellaG Mon 24-Sep-18 13:49:29

2 years old needing several visits to the barbers? My my...his hair must grow at an alarming rate.

trisher Mon 24-Sep-18 13:00:29

Mine has been having his hair trimmed with mum and his big sister since before he was 2. I think he is just used to going along. Must confess I let my DSs have quite long hair when they were younger and when DGS first had his cut I was the one who had to fight back the tears.

JanaNana Mon 24-Sep-18 12:47:32

I am reminded of something my MiL told me many years ago. When the youngest of her three sons was around 2/ 3 she used to take him to have his haircut at the local ladies hairdressers for a trim before she thought it necessary to take him to the barbers with his older brothers. The first time she took him he refused to go inside and screamed in fear. After she calmed him down and spoke to him it turned out that he had seen all the models heads in the salon window with various wigs on and thought they were real people and his own head was going to appear next to them!

ReadyMeals Mon 24-Sep-18 12:36:17

How about those hair clipper things and put it on longest setting, do it at home no skill needed. He may be scared of the barber's scissors near his face, especially if he has been warned of the danger of scissors to stop him playing with them.

Silverlining47 Mon 24-Sep-18 12:27:55

It never occured to me to take my children to a hairdresser or barber when they were under about 6 as we lived far out in the countryside and I always cut their hair myself.
I hate to see little boys with overly sylish haircuts like mini pop stars.

Willow500 Mon 24-Sep-18 12:10:51

My DIL is a hairdresser so it's not been a problem with their two sons. The youngest started playing hairdressers at nursery so they set up a little mirror and someone took toy hairdryers and rollers in which has been a huge success. Could you do something like that with him to get him used to the idea?

cornergran Mon 24-Sep-18 11:44:39

Ours sits and watches a favourite cartoon on Dad's mobile sometimes, other times he just sits and stares at the hairdresser in the mirror. If looks could kill grin

DIL17 Mon 24-Sep-18 11:42:10

Can he not take a book with him to look through as they may help calm him to a point where the stylist can at least attempt a cut?

anitamp1 Mon 24-Sep-18 11:33:19

I've seen advertised a few hairdressers who have introduced little cars for the little ones to sit in whilst getting haircuts. Good idea.