Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Granddaughter Christmas present ideas

(40 Posts)
Crissie Thu 27-Sep-18 23:36:50

Hi Everyone
My granddaughter will be 21 months old at Christmas. The family live in Portugal so I don’t see much of her apart from FaceTime and videos. She is very bright, mobile and musical. She is being brought up to be bilingual. They live by the sea and she lives an outdoor life. I’m looking for advice on Christmas gifts for her. I know this is early but I need to buy and post. Please help!

Magrithea Fri 05-Oct-18 13:07:04

I think at 21 months you need to ask her parents what she needs/what they would like her to have.

As she grows up then consult them (I do for our two DGC at 4 and 6 years) and when a teenager then give her what she asks for (within reason!) or transfer money or give vouchers

Crissie Thu 04-Oct-18 20:42:03

Thank you!

Sheis1948 Wed 03-Oct-18 19:48:22

Big colorful educational books! smile

Luckylegs9 Tue 02-Oct-18 06:49:03

Ask the parents, for several suggestions, then choose one.

Esspee Sun 30-Sep-18 17:50:12

My grandchildren are 5000 miles away and I always give my son money and let him decide what is needed/wanted. I always make it clear that it doesn't have to be anything tangible but he always finds a perfect gift to wrap up and something else like piano lessons or dance lessons that they want.
I have no idea what children today need/want so feel this is the ideal solution.

lilypollen Sun 30-Sep-18 17:26:24

If you are a craft person, what about a book and make a character from it? I did that with the Hungry Caterpillar for my grandson when he was 2.

Daisyboots Sat 29-Sep-18 17:40:31

My advice would be to ask her parents as anything to do with young children is quite expensive here in Portugal compared to the UK

kathyd Sat 29-Sep-18 15:59:08

I buy everything on Amazon and have it delivered directly to their address. I have about twenty addresses on my account all over the world. Sometimes I look for something on Amazon uk and then go to the 'local' site to order it, but that depends on the exchange rate and whether or not the seller will send abroad. It usually works out cheaper than buying here and posting.
It has the added advantage that the parents will have to do the gift wrapping!

Starlady Sat 29-Sep-18 15:58:48

I think there are a lot of great ideas here! But I agree that it's best to ask the parents first. If GD already has the item, they don't want her to have it for whatever reason, or they're very specific about the type of the item they prefer (like "only fairy-tales or no fairy-tales), your gift won't get used.

lighty Sat 29-Sep-18 14:54:55

Book Depository website will send books worldwide free of postage

BlueBelle Sat 29-Sep-18 14:03:16

You have to ask the parents first, otherwise it’s pointless, you may like The Tiger that came to Tea but if she’s alteady got its going to be a useless present or if you send a cuddly toy and she loves cars it’s money wasted and a disappointed child and parents

justwokeup Sat 29-Sep-18 13:58:38

Also meant to say 'ask her parents' about the gift! hmm

Hm999 Sat 29-Sep-18 13:57:31

Have just discovered Tomy Aquadoodle

justwokeup Sat 29-Sep-18 13:55:57

I thought I'd posted this so apologies if it appears twice!
I use the power of credit cards and buy something online from a shop near to them. Then delivery is cheap, if not free, and the local shops benefit. You can often choose the delivery date too. There may be a transaction fee from your bank, although some credit cards don't charge them, but it's still a fraction of the cost of postage. Some shops will gift wrap too, although she's a bit young for that, and any queries can be sorted out by email. Not a big fan of Amazon itself, due to the tax avoidance issues, but I agree that gift lists, packaging and international delivery are excellent. Some UK shops also deliver abroad for only slightly higher postage rates. One of my AC orders online from one UK department store and gets delivery 'down under' for UK postage rates. It's worth checking them out. Still, best suggestion here, if you can, is to go to see them.

seemercloud Sat 29-Sep-18 13:51:37

Duplo -( baby lego) - always popular with my littlies

HildaW Sat 29-Sep-18 13:34:55

Probably Gabriella but I'm a fan of real time shopping where you can to touch stuff and real book shops in particular.....and if possible not use that company if possible.

Ronnie Sat 29-Sep-18 13:30:07

My two Grandsons are in Oz, they do not want for toys as their Australian side of the family are generous and as has been said postage is horrendous. I send the odd book I think they would like as they are 3 and 5 years & my son is very good with reading to them, so I get feedback from them during our FT calls. I’d love to read to them but the time difference makes it impossible. We don’t get to spend much money & time with them, no ice cream time, no outings, no little surprises. But we try to make the most of our FT calls even though they are usually romping around play fighting, we know all about Thomas the Tank Engine & Transformers! it makes us laugh & we are exhausted watching them. We do have a ‘fund’ we regularly put money into so in the long term they won’t miss out and this is absolutely fine with my DIL & DS.

GabriellaG Sat 29-Sep-18 12:26:32

HildaW
Amazon is far cheaper and has a much wider choice.

sodapop Sat 29-Sep-18 12:16:00

Yes the Amazon wish list is a great idea. I use this as well. You could send money for the parents to decide what to buy or save then just a small personal gift from you. Books, DVDs etc are always popular. I steer clear of soft toys as they always have too many.

vickymeldrew Sat 29-Sep-18 12:08:02

With grandchildren abroad the postage would be horrendous. As others have said, far better to use Amazon who deliver to Portugal. Ask the parents to set up a Wish List so you know exactly what DGC would like. You can have it gift wrapped for a modest amount as well. Common problem nowadays with mobile families !

123kitty Sat 29-Sep-18 11:27:48

Spend the money on a flight to visit her and the family.

mabon1 Sat 29-Sep-18 11:23:12

Ask the parents and send them money to buy whatever.

Silverlining47 Sat 29-Sep-18 11:10:46

It's hard when you live abroad with postage costs and being out of touch with current likes/dislikes!
Last year we asked DS and DiL to buy gifts for the GC from us. It transpired that so did the other grandparents (2 other sets....divorced parents!) and various aunts! Both parents spent a whole day wrapping all the presents from all of us! Plus having to decide and order or buy so many extra presents too. A lot of extra work for working parents.
I'm sure the children just enjoyed opening everything but it doesn't feel right. I have, in the past, ordered directly from Amazon who will gift wrap and deliver if you can get a 'wish list' early enough!

pinkjj27 Sat 29-Sep-18 11:04:36

I always asked my daughters but I can say that of all the things I have given my grandkids it’s the special keepsakes that remind them of me they have treasured a locket that was hung on the wall until my granddaughter wanted to wear it and never took it off she added my picture to it. A framed picture of me and my late husband their beloved grumps. A jewellery box I made, I collected shells and stones on the beach with them then pained them and personalised them I noticed the 10 year old took it to her exams with her for luck. I always give money or something they want but it’s the personal keepsakes they love and keep.

David1968 Sat 29-Sep-18 11:03:33

A soft toy puppet can be a welcome gift. (Check age suitability on label.) I've given a few, over the years, and they have always become a favourite toy. There are some lovely ones available online. And many which are suitable from birth. Very easy to post, too.