Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

STOP CLAPPING!

(241 Posts)
Lyndiloo Wed 03-Oct-18 01:01:55

I heard on the news today that Manchester University Students Union has banned clapping, saying that it makes some students ANXIOUS !!! It asks that students do a 'Jazz-Hands' display instead.

I've never, in my life, heard anything so stupid!

ANXIOUS? Being a soldier at fifteen (as many boys were during the last two world wars), not having enough food or water, finding out that you've got some awful incurable disease, suffering from all the dreadful consequences of a tsunami - all these (and many more) are anxiety-ridden situations. But CLAPPING?

GET REAL!

(Though if I were surrounded by crowds of people all doing 'Jazz-Hands', I might feel a tad uncomfortable!)

icanhandthemback Wed 03-Oct-18 10:44:14

Maybe this is a step too far but I have a SIL with PTSD inherited from our excursions into Iraq. The saddest part of it, apart from him not being the person DD married, is that he is amongst a generation of our young people who have suffered this having been through Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. It is so easy to sit in front of our computers and be scornful but maybe these people should be considered. On top of that, the incidence of people diagnosed with ASD is becoming outrageously high and the anxiety is crippling. Yes, we do seem to have a snowflake generation but we have to look at how we got there. We also have a much more thoughtful generation about the impact of our actions and I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.

Shazmo24 Wed 03-Oct-18 10:44:38

The people were on BBC Breakfast this morning.

icanhandthemback Wed 03-Oct-18 10:45:16

I think there must be something in the water...I am starting to feel like a bleeding heart liberal lately which is something I never thought I'd be grin

LJP1 Wed 03-Oct-18 10:47:45

Remember the education policy which banned teaching tables in primary schools?
Pupils apparently absorb the knowledge 'by osmosis' if they use table squares!

Greatview Wed 03-Oct-18 10:48:19

The use of “jazz hands” - where students wave their hands in the air - is the British Sign Language expression for applause and is deemed a more inclusive gesture.

But not sure how it's going to work on "Sorry I haven't a Clue"

Margs Wed 03-Oct-18 10:50:33

Will anyone who is reduced to tears at the sound of clapping have to produce a note from their Mum to beg for their wee Snowflake to be excused listening to clapping, fire alarms, car alarms, beep-beeps as supermarket staff scan items at checkouts and (the best of the lot) tantrum throwing kiddies screaming the roof off in shops?

Jayelld Wed 03-Oct-18 10:51:08

My GS is high on the ASD spectrum but high functioning. He, ĺike a lot of people, both on the spectrum and off, doesn't like sudden loud noises. He does however attend a lot of theatre performances, his sister is a semi professional dancer, and clapping has no affect.
I am of the opinion that those people, ?snowflakes?, use their own fears disguised as concerns for others! (That's the polite version!!!!).

Ps, I loathe balloons and absolutely hate them popping. I always shreak when it happens, even in church!

Nanny41 Wed 03-Oct-18 10:53:08

Anxiety must be a terrible thing, but PLEASE, clapping has been going on for ever, whats brought this latest idiotic thing on, and as for Jazz-Hands what is that about! imagine an audience in a theatre Jazz-Hand waving, utterly ridiculous.Maybe people with anxiety should refrane from going to places where there will be clapping, why should blind people be punished.

Howcome Wed 03-Oct-18 11:01:34

I do feel out of step with the modern world - I am encouraged not to clap as it may startle some sensitive souls, but the developers next door can crash and bang all day including chain saws and pile drivers with the LA’s blessing. I tell you it’s driving me mad and I’m not sensitive. I had thought that if this is the world younger people want its nought to do with me, but my children and grandchildren tell me they are unhappy with how society is going too.... so I refuse to “jazz hands” or put up with trendy pc things now- it doesn’t stop things getting worse - but I’m no longer complicit.

Dogsjj Wed 03-Oct-18 11:09:38

Couldn't agree more. My husband was recently at a Exhibition of the clubs that are open to Students at Falmouth University (Freshers week) - and there was an quiet hour before it opened for shy people!!!

Theoddbird Wed 03-Oct-18 11:22:52

I must live a sheltered life as I have no idea what jazz hands are. Anyway the idea of not clapping because of anxiety is ridiculous. Goes off to Google jazz hands....

ajanela Wed 03-Oct-18 11:25:47

My GS on the spectrum was really pleased when his class clapped after he put on a magic show for them.

Craicon Wed 03-Oct-18 11:27:11

Eager new student union reps are always desperate to make a name for themselves at the beginning of their term of office. It’s just a silly publicity gimmick that’s obviously worked as it’s got so many of you frothing. wink

Lancslass1 Wed 03-Oct-18 11:37:30

It was 1st October two days ago not 1st April .
The students at Manchester University are 6months to early or late with their April Fools Day joke.

Lancslass1 Wed 03-Oct-18 11:38:00

Sorry -too early -

Abbeygran Wed 03-Oct-18 11:43:30

Ridiculous, stupid, idiotic. Whoever thought this was a goer needs to get a grip. Actually it’s hilarious that anyone even thought of it.

CarlyD7 Wed 03-Oct-18 11:43:45

I have a long term chronic condition, one of the symptoms of which is that loud noises are painful (can set off a migraine) so I have to take ear plugs out with me when I go to theatres or concerts, etc (which I seldom can do). Clapping around me can be excrutiatingly painful. So, what's the alternative? Sit at home and miss out on a normal life? Sorry, but I'm 60 years of age and not prepared to waste what I have left of my life hiding from a noisy world. Healthy people can adapt; disabled/ill people cannot. And anyone who genuinely wants to understand this (rather than just coming out with ignorant condemnation) might like to watch a YouTube video of a talk by Jennifer Brea (who suffers from myalgic encephalomyelitis) "What happens when you have a disease doctors can't diagnose" to see audiences jazz handing, not clapping. These intelligent, educated people had no problem doing this to help her

4allweknow Wed 03-Oct-18 11:50:16

Do appreciate there are those who would be affected by loud noise. As other comments say there are ways to cope with this. If noise is to be considered a problem/nuisance now does that mean there will be no singing allowed by audience at concerts, no music at funfair rides when they start off. Whistles blown at sports, bells/ horns on bikes. What do we do with babies - teach them to clap hands usually with great fun and enjoyment from baby and adult. Do we stop doing this so they never learn this soon to be shunned way of expression. World will be a sadder place if this idiotic approach is adopted by all.

Nonnie Wed 03-Oct-18 11:50:32

I agree with Craicon and whoever said jazz hands discriminate against the blind. You can find a problem anywhere if you look hard enough.

Not really this thread but does anyone else think it inappropriate to clap oneself? I see it all the time on TV but I always thought it was bad manners to applaud yourself.

stree Wed 03-Oct-18 11:54:17

What can we do if we are offended by snowflakes?

jevive73 Wed 03-Oct-18 12:01:13

The hot air dryers in toilets can create a noise loud enough to distress and people on the autistic spectrum. But jazz hands..no sorry. And what about blind members of the audience?

sandelf Wed 03-Oct-18 12:02:58

I on not on a 'side' about this. Just my comment - agree a bit 'snowflakey' - but this last year I have become hypersensitive to 'sensory input' - wear ear plugs and think carefully about when to shop, actively avoiding too soon Christmas hype etc. Perhaps its not so much 'them' being wimpy but our environment becoming more complex so more of us are finding we are at maximum load too often?

Sunflower48 Wed 03-Oct-18 12:05:43

What a fuss over nothing??

inishowen Wed 03-Oct-18 12:06:51

My husband often comments that if we ever had another war we would be doomed.

123kitty Wed 03-Oct-18 12:09:31

Learn to cope- life is noisy.