Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Knives and nooses?

(52 Posts)
Riverwalk Mon 22-Oct-18 12:23:27

The Sunday Times quoted one unnamed Tory MP as saying: “The moment is coming when the knife gets heated, stuck in her front and twisted. She’ll be dead soon.”

Another said May was now entering “the killing zone”, and a third remarked: “Assassination is in the air.” In the Mail on Sunday, another quote was that May should “bring her own noose” to a meeting of backbench Tories.

Is this not extraordinary and dangerous language for an MP?

Blinko Tue 23-Oct-18 10:35:06

It's the language of hate, pure and simple. These people should indeed be outed and booted out of office. Disgusting!

mabon1 Tue 23-Oct-18 10:38:21

As much as do not care much for Teresa May and the Conservative and Unionist Party, party she has a toxic job and does not deserve any of those disparaging remarks.

Chewbacca Tue 23-Oct-18 10:52:58

Imagine if any of those words were said about any other colleague/boss, in any other workplace, in the country and what the fallout would be. There would, quite rightly, be a full disciplinary hearing and people would be sacked. I can see no difference in whether the people who said these horrible things were MPs, or ordinary employees. Bullying, aggressive and threatening behaviour should be dealt with appropriately wherever it happens.

pheasant75 Tue 23-Oct-18 11:00:16

I have said this before "politicians have lost the plot" I have just received replies from 3 ministers, that says it all.
I think that civil servants reply in most cases and most MP.s don't know whats happening on their own patch .many have Directorships good pensions other houses paid for at taxpayers expense nice if you can get it
I see now that Clegg is to get millions for taking a job at FACEBOOK and Cameron got millions advance for his book ??? let see some real politicians work for those they were elected by

Granonthemove Tue 23-Oct-18 11:06:58

These extreme expressions of hate are just another part of the culture of bullying in the Houses of Parliament. It is 100 years since women were able to get to stand for parliament and you'd think it was yesterday from the way some of the men behave. Whatever we think of Brexit (I think it a disaster) this is our Prime Minister they are talking about. She deserves respect and looked relieved and emotional when she got some from Labour yesterday, from a woman of course.

AlieOxon Tue 23-Oct-18 11:08:26

This is hate crime.

Blinko Tue 23-Oct-18 11:23:14

I find I'm in agreement with Mabon1.

Jaxie Tue 23-Oct-18 11:24:02

Coconut: Exactly how I feel. I'm a half- assed Christian, so all I can do is pray for the bast---s!

CardiffJaguar Tue 23-Oct-18 11:53:32

When I came across this I thought it was another example of Australian politics. Sadly not so but it seems we are following the worst aspects of downunder politics.

tigger Tue 23-Oct-18 12:02:15

I don't recall this type of language being used against male Prime Ministers i.e. Margaret Thatcher was abused in this way but rather more subtly. On the other hand she has managed to alienate many of her party members from both camps.

icanhandthemback Tue 23-Oct-18 12:22:55

Well said Coconut.

Patticake123 Tue 23-Oct-18 13:44:32

Pretty typical of the Tory party, they behave like savages to their leaders. I would never vote for this party but I do feel saddened by the way Theresa May has been hung out to dry by the men. Whatever she does will displease half of her disfunctional colleagues, she is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Where are all the men that got the country into this dreadful mess? Oh yes. Waiting in the wings to take over once the hard grind has taken place.

Aepgirl Tue 23-Oct-18 14:24:27

This is surely bullying in the workplace, something that wouldn't be tolerated elsewhere. I can't understand why decent, well-meaning people would want to go into politics these days.

varian Tue 23-Oct-18 14:59:41

We may not know the name of this despicable foul-mouthed Tory, but we can be pretty sure which group within his party he is likely to belong to.

Rosina Tue 23-Oct-18 15:40:47

What a disgrace. Are there any politicians at the moment with anything like statesmanlike behaviour? This person should be named - and sacked at once for his/her outrageous, inflammatory, and quite frankly gruesome and sadistic language. I have never voted Labour but I do have a lot of time for Alan Johnson - he has always seemed to be a decent man who has stuck by his principles, and is well respected by all parties.

hulahoop Tue 23-Oct-18 15:46:59

I'm with you coconut they think they are beyond reproach it's time some of them were taken to task .

MaudLillian Tue 23-Oct-18 16:26:03

Yes, it's horrible and violent language, which does nothing to improve anyone's lives. I am also sick to death of the Tories - the thing I hate the most about them is the badger cull - scientifically ineffective, with badgers supposed to be a protected species, what a sick joke - so much for wildlife protection laws, they are useless - 60% of our wildlife is now on some kind of danger list and that is shocking. What sort of world is my little granddaughter going to inherit? One where there are no more elephants, rhinos and orang utans and the British countryside is just an urban wasteland?

grannypauline Wed 24-Oct-18 07:07:21

This was reported on the BBC and I was appalled! They MIGHT have been metaphorical but these threatening words aimed at a named person are illegal.

Threats to kill are illegal. Threats to do bodily harm are misdemeanours (also illegal). And they also constitute hate crime. Why are the police seemingly not investigating. Imagine if an Imam instead of an MP had uttered them!

I hate the Tories and Ms May too but mine is a political hate and I have no reason to wish them hurt or dead. I just want a general election so we can get rid of them (politically of course!)

hereshoping Wed 24-Oct-18 09:27:13

To be expected, almost all MPs are crooks and chancers.

paddyann Wed 24-Oct-18 12:47:49

Nicola Sturgeon has been threatened regularly by Britnat unionists .Its largely ignored by the media .I have no time for Mrs May or any toxic tory but I agree with Nicola this kind of language is a disgrace and should be dealt with ..now .

lemongrove Wed 24-Oct-18 15:53:09

Sooooo, grin all Tories are ‘toxic’ but none of the SNP are
paddyann what a strange view of human nature.
I forgot of course, that everything in Scotland is absolutely marvellous!

paddyann Wed 24-Oct-18 17:16:25

did I say that NONE of the SNP are *Lemongrove" though they do tend to be more compassionate and humane than the tory views that are widespread .Of course "British " nationalism is acceptable ??? Yet Scottish isn't .There it is again,that old empirical attitude.Read what I said again.I didn't mention the SNP !

lemongrove Wed 24-Oct-18 18:27:18

Since N Sturgeon is the leader of the SNP, and you frequently say how wonderful they are,and you are in favour of breaking away from the Union, I hardly think you meant anything else.British Nationalism? You are currently part of Britain are you not?!
Empirical attitude in what way exactly?

endre123 Thu 25-Oct-18 19:20:32

Media said yesterday those terrible comments came from Number 10. That is more shocking. Was it a message to the backbench MPs that No 10 will put leader before party? Because those threats reflect very badly on the Tory party.

The 1922 meeting later in the day went very docile compared with what was expected, no leadership challenge. These are shocking times politically, a small group of people running our Government and leading Britain into a very dark place.

Nandalot Thu 25-Oct-18 20:15:03

Is that what the media said? I thought they were reporting Andrew Brigden’s (prominent Brexiteer and very critical of Mrs. May) allegations that it was a ploy to garner sympathy for the pm and dampen opposition.