Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Knives and nooses?

(51 Posts)
Riverwalk Mon 22-Oct-18 12:23:27

The Sunday Times quoted one unnamed Tory MP as saying: “The moment is coming when the knife gets heated, stuck in her front and twisted. She’ll be dead soon.”

Another said May was now entering “the killing zone”, and a third remarked: “Assassination is in the air.” In the Mail on Sunday, another quote was that May should “bring her own noose” to a meeting of backbench Tories.

Is this not extraordinary and dangerous language for an MP?

gmelon Mon 22-Oct-18 12:26:16

How horrid. What awful terminology and intent. The days of a quick mind ready with witty barbs are obviously over.

eazybee Mon 22-Oct-18 12:28:08

Well, I am all for descriptive language and the use of metaphors, but it is rather unpleasant imagery.

muffinthemoo Mon 22-Oct-18 12:28:47

I find this despicable, less than two years after the murder of Jo Cox.

suzied Mon 22-Oct-18 12:31:18

Hopefully this will create a backlash and these vile extremists will loose any support they may have had.

Greenfinch Mon 22-Oct-18 12:40:50

What a miserable lot they are and dangerous as well. They should be named and shamed. Dreadful !

POGS Mon 22-Oct-18 12:43:45

It's bloody pathetic for any adult to scribe such nastyness and there has been a discussion on this on Politics Live today and it has been covered on the news.

Tory MPs have said at least the whip should be removed or maybe kicked out of the party.

It is sadly not particular a single party issue as we know from the McDonnell /McVey episode and it is about time this bile is stopped and how can it not be the case MP's should not lead the way .

It aligns with the Cox Report into bullying and sexual harassment within Parliament and to my mind Speaker Bercow should at least stand down too.

Politics has become toxic and Social Media is enabling this sort of thing which doesn't help.

Bikerhiker Mon 22-Oct-18 13:03:09

How utterly disgusting that these sorts of thoughts should even be in their heads.
Knife crime? Suicide? Presume they have no idea how it feels to be affected by these.
These people are running the country?

Luckygirl Mon 22-Oct-18 13:11:10

Pitiful - these are our statespersons.

Bellanonna Mon 22-Oct-18 13:17:35

That Tory MP should be named. What vile language.

tanith Mon 22-Oct-18 13:27:29

Whoever they should own it and be suitably punished .

popsis71 Mon 22-Oct-18 13:31:06

I too find this utterly reprehensible. Social media, not withstanding it's good side, does give the opportunity to those that are so inclined to write the most toxic stuff under the cloak of anonymity. This in it's turn is affecting public discourse. House rules and moderation such as we have on here are a good for ensuring some decorum.

Nandalot Mon 22-Oct-18 13:39:19

Absolutely disgusting. The first image is graphic and violent. I agree the whole imagery used in these exchanges is uncalled for and seems to reflect the aggression that this whole sorry mess has brought about.

lemongrove Mon 22-Oct-18 13:54:41

Horrible isn’t it, and juvenile as well, they certainly need naming and shaming.
Politics ( all parties) have taken a turn for the worse with their language recently.

lemongrove Mon 22-Oct-18 13:57:00

Maybe they play too many internet games.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 22-Oct-18 14:05:28

Politics in this country is at an all time low!!

We pay these people's salaries, if they are named and shamed let's hope that their constituents de-select them.

Nicenanny3 Mon 22-Oct-18 14:12:19

How do you know if it is even true you could say anything you like under the guise of an unnamed source. Fake news.

Riverwalk Mon 22-Oct-18 15:18:37

I'd like to think our elected representatives wouldn't use such language - unfortunately Nicenanny I doubt it's fake news.

I expect we'll find out soon who the culprits are.

Jalima1108 Mon 22-Oct-18 15:23:06

Pitiful - these are our statespersons.
Supposedly.

They should be named and shamed - I would not want such a person representing me in Parliament.

Jalima1108 Mon 22-Oct-18 15:24:38

If, of course, what the Sunday Times reports is true.

It and its sister paper is frequently disparaged on here for allegedly spreading fake propaganda.

wildswan16 Mon 22-Oct-18 16:14:03

I'm not a particular fan of Nicola Sturgeon but on her twitter feed she quite rightly says "language like this debases politics".

sodapop Mon 22-Oct-18 16:26:25

I agree Wildswan, Good comment from Nicola Sturgeon.
Seems like politicians just want to shock now, the 'suicide vest' comment was another one

Mapleleaf Tue 23-Oct-18 08:47:20

Vile comments indeed. These individuals should be ashamed of themselves. It's a great concern to me that these people represent us. Whether you agree or disagree with how the whole sorry affair of Brexit is being handled, the language used should be respectful, and arguments put forward in an adult fashion. We do not want our politicians acting like badly behaved juveniles. What an example - shame on them.

Mapleleaf Tue 23-Oct-18 08:49:14

I'd like to add, how "brave" of them - so brave in fact, that they remain anonymous!! ??

Coconut Tue 23-Oct-18 10:19:02

Personally I am just sick to death of the lot of them, self serving, dishonest, overgrown ego maniacs allegedly running our country, but not actually addressing anything to change our country for the better .... god or someone help us all ( and I’m actually an atheist !!)