Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How can I stop the oven door closing on me??

(32 Posts)
Kateykrunch Sat 03-Nov-18 11:54:04

New cooker, old house, uneven everything, so I cant actually get the cooker to sit completely level, so if it looks nice and even the door just closes (obviously dangerous) and for the door to not close on me then the cooker looks ridiculous! Surely there must be something I can do to get it asthetically pleasing and safe, any ideas please. Currently needs 2 of us to get anything out of a hot oven!!

Kateykrunch Mon 12-Nov-18 19:25:22

Btw Sweetie, I considered your wedge idea, but the door gap between the oven casing and the open door is just really large and HOT!!

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Nov-18 19:26:34

are you OK KK?

Kateykrunch Mon 12-Nov-18 22:27:08

Jalima, lol, I’m good, thanks for asking, took your advise and eating out, so going no where near that oven again!!

Hilltopgran Tue 13-Nov-18 01:08:43

Our old cottage has uneven everything, floors and walls, I have drawing pins in the base wood in cupboard doors to keep them closed, not much use with an oven though, husband levels everything with small mats so I can never find one to put a hot drink on! I solved the oven dilema, I have a raised oven with a door that glides underneath when open, like the bake off, so much easier to clean with out bending and much safer for lifting out hot dishes.

Grandma2213 Tue 13-Nov-18 01:44:41

My oven door is the same. There is only one of me so I have the burn scars on my left arm to prove it. My old cooker sat on a wooden board to raise it up to the worktop level so no problem, but a new fitted kitchen means this one is on the floor, adjustable legs not withstanding! By the way cupboard doors are held shut with blu-tac. Don't think that would work on the oven door! grin

NotAGran55 Tue 13-Nov-18 06:14:25

I would make a door stop and keep it in the pan drawer next to my cooker .
A piece of 4x2 wood attached to a square of wood should do it . Like a wellie stick .