Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Erm, curtains, probably a silly question......

(14 Posts)
Nanabilly Sun 11-Nov-18 19:07:43

This is why I now but eyelet curtains . So much easier to put up and take down and no thread pulling.

Purpledaffodil Sun 11-Nov-18 16:07:25

Ah I see Phoenix. I misinterpreted “come down*. Good luck with your draperies.

kittylester Sun 11-Nov-18 16:00:40

I was going to suggest the middle seam idea phoenix, but never the I word!!!!

phoenix Sun 11-Nov-18 15:59:08

And "your" not "you"

Oh for an edit function!

phoenix Sun 11-Nov-18 15:56:52

"Dare" not "date"!!!!!!

phoenix Sun 11-Nov-18 15:55:17

Elegran wash you mouth out with soap, how very date you mention the "I" word shock

Purpledaffodil The poles stay, just need them taken down, new curtains put on them, then put back up!

Purpledaffodil Sun 11-Nov-18 15:41:45

Might be obvious, but you don’t need to get rid of the poles. You can buy rings with an eyelet on the bottom that the curtain hooks hook into. Shame you’re not closer Phoenix. I have just changed pleated curtains for eyelet ones and have redundant rings.

Elegran Sun 11-Nov-18 15:31:26

Are they made of two widths of fabric, joined in the middle? The seam where they join may be causing the unequal pleat.

Or as has been said before, maybe it is the way they have been folded that gives a sharp crease. That could be improved by ironing them.

phoenix Sun 11-Nov-18 15:22:20

GA that did make me smile! The poles will have to come down, as the existing curtains are eyelet, and these are "proper" ones.

I usually change from a spring/summer colour scheme, (a nice fresh green) to something more cosy for winter.

I bought these last year, and we never got round to changing them, so somewhat overdue!

grannyactivist Sun 11-Nov-18 15:15:48

Ah - I see where you went wrong. In this house all curtaining is done by the curtain expert aka 'The Wonderful Man' - I am sure that Mr. Phoenix will have the problem fixed in a jiffy. grin
Seriously, I am a curtain disaster zone. Our daughter gave us some curtains (gorgeous, nearly new, but didn't suit her new bedroom colours) months ago, but I was warned persuaded to leave them until TWM came back from his travels and could deal with them. It would have taken me at least a day to put them up, but he did it in a couple of hours yesterday with minimum fuss and bother - including fitting new curtain poles.

phoenix Sun 11-Nov-18 15:15:29

Ah, Willow, that might be where I'm going wrong!

Willow500 Sun 11-Nov-18 15:12:29

Did you tie one end of the thread and pull them up from the other end? That's how I do it and you can usually even them out that way. Or it could be a crease from the packaging which won't lie flat?

HillyN Sun 11-Nov-18 15:11:10

Just a thought- have the threads got caught in the stitching somewhere in the middle so they won't move?

phoenix Sun 11-Nov-18 15:03:58

Hello all, and sending the usual good wishes.

Now, I have just opened a new pack of curtains, pulled the threads at each end, but cannot seem to get rid of an unequal "pleat" in the middle blush I've fiddled about trying to get them even, but failed confused

What am I doing wrong?