Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Keeping contact

(34 Posts)
ninathenana Mon 12-Nov-18 08:32:07

Some of you will know the story but surfice to say my DGC currently live with other GPs 300 miles away. DD and their father visit every other w/end and the plan is for this to change next year.
DD and their dad get upset and cross because 9 yr old dosen't reply to texts or answer his phone (hand me down, given so he can be in touch and has to be left at home) to either of them. Always some excuse "I didn't hear it" "I was busy" when they do manage contact he never has much to say. 7 y.o. texts them and me almost daily.
Is this your average 9 y.o. boy or as DD worries due to the family history and current situation ?
He is fine when they are together.

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Nov-18 12:49:09

there = their!

NotSpaghetti Mon 12-Nov-18 13:17:33

ninathenana
I know you said you won't comment here again and I sense how hurt you are but I am hoping you might come back to look.

I'm a big WhatsApp advocate for staying in touch. If he could have a "smart" phone with WhatsApp (or similar) for no charge at all they could send him little funny photos, messages, and other "thinking of you" things. They shouldn't really be expecting a response I feel but should just regularly reach out gently to him. Who knows, maybe he'll send something back now and again...
As others have said, life for everyone in the family at the moment must be tough, and at 9 you are old enough to know a lot and understand much less.
I hope there is a way forward for you and your family.
X

palliser65 Mon 12-Nov-18 13:53:20

He is 9!! 9!! lives in another dimension. My grandson is 8 and when i do the school run he hardly speaks and doesn't answer much. AND we adore one another. Please try not to pressureise this child. He's a little boy and completely unaware of effect of his actions on adults. I send funny cards to my grandhildren with a short note inside. You are all the grown-ups try some understanding and kindness.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 12-Nov-18 13:55:14

I spent all my childhood at home with my parents whom I loved and who I knew loved me, but that didn't stop me from answering questions like, "What happened at school today?" with "Nothing." when I was nine.

A nine year old is trying to realise that he doesn't need to tell the grown-ups everything, but is having trouble sorting out what questions he does need to answer.

Could his parents not arrange with the boy's GPs that they phone at a time convenient to the GPs and child and use face time, so their son can see them as well as talk to them?

luluaugust Mon 12-Nov-18 16:07:29

Sounds like a fairly typical 9 year old, it must be an old phone or he would probably be on it all the time. Many, many children are totally monosyllabic on the phone, however much they love the person on the other end. The parents must talk to the other Gps to see what can be worked out.

MissAdventure Mon 12-Nov-18 16:49:15

My grandsons dad used to be fuming when his phone calls and texts weren't answered.
He would ring my daughter, shouting "where is his phone?"
The reply, inevitably was "in his toy box with loads of other stuff he isn't interested in".

notanan2 Mon 12-Nov-18 17:51:22

At 9 one of mine had zero interest in letters sent to her or speaking to people on the phone or skype (unless they were her age) but liked spending time with adult family/friends in person.

The other one loved all sorts of correspindence, always. But was more introverted in person and didnt like when the house was full of visitors and often wanted to go home if we were visiting others.

Yea it is normal! His parents need to get that THEY ARE THE ADULTS. You don't have an equal 2 way relationship with your children they are not your mates, you keep "giving" and communicating with them even when they withdraw or pull away as they become teens or tweens.

He sounds normal, the parents do not!

notanan2 Mon 12-Nov-18 17:56:19

Also children respond very badly to being put on the spot.

As other posters have said, sending little messages that don't demand a reply go down much better and are more likely to get a response from a child of that age than questions etc.