Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Keeping contact

(33 Posts)
Bibbity Mon 12-Nov-18 09:39:47

The story doesn’t change the fact that getting cross at him is the worst reaction.

M0nica Mon 12-Nov-18 09:37:20

Sounds like a typical 9 year old boy, too busy doing other things and resenting being constantly asked to reply by parents.

I fully understand his parents concerns and reasons, but he is too young to understand them.

PECS Mon 12-Nov-18 09:36:38

I am sorry did not see phone call just texts.

The child is probably confused, hurt and angry. I do not know why he is not able to live at home but whatever it is it has upset his life.

If his parents really want him to be a happy and content child they need to look at the situation from his perspective and empathise with his feelings. Poor kid. He just wants to be loved and cared for. Maybe he is testing his parents? Do you love me enough to forgive me if I do not answer your phone calls?

ninathenana Mon 12-Nov-18 09:36:07

Bibity no you don't know our story

Bibbity Mon 12-Nov-18 09:26:33

They have no right to get cross. Do they think a small child is going to want to communicate with someone who treats them like that?

They need to keep communication open, relaxed and reliable.

I don’t know your story but if the parents are not there day to day then it can be easy to be forgotten in the whirlwind of day to day life.
They need to stop thinking about themselves and start thinking about the child.

ninathenana Mon 12-Nov-18 08:59:41

PECS he dosen't need the ability to write or spell to answer a phone. DD and his dad wouldn't care about spelling anyway.

PECS Mon 12-Nov-18 08:52:03

Perhaps he finds writing/ spelling hard?

ninathenana Mon 12-Nov-18 08:32:07

Some of you will know the story but surfice to say my DGC currently live with other GPs 300 miles away. DD and their father visit every other w/end and the plan is for this to change next year.
DD and their dad get upset and cross because 9 yr old dosen't reply to texts or answer his phone (hand me down, given so he can be in touch and has to be left at home) to either of them. Always some excuse "I didn't hear it" "I was busy" when they do manage contact he never has much to say. 7 y.o. texts them and me almost daily.
Is this your average 9 y.o. boy or as DD worries due to the family history and current situation ?
He is fine when they are together.