Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Finger foods.

(23 Posts)
Deedaa Wed 14-Nov-18 20:21:54

I made lots of cheese straws from a baby cookery book. GS1 was able to help me with the mixing.He was very keen on broccoli which was easy to hold and not too messy.

Apricity Tue 13-Nov-18 21:46:51

I had a fold up high chair when my grandchildren were very little as it did confine them when eating. One thing I am quite strict about is that as soon as possible food is eaten sitting at the table, not wandering around or sitting on the sofa etc. If you don't want to purchase or borrow a high chair sitting him on the floor on a plastic tablecloth is probably easiest in the short term.

A plastic plate with an assortment of finger food is the best option for a child who doesn't like to be spoon fed but he must stay seated. If he moves off the plastic take the plate away. Veggies like carrots, capsicum, cucumber etc cut into strips, cut up fruit like peeled apples and banana pieces, dried apricots, sultanas, small pieces of omelette, cheese, sausages or chicken in bite size pieces, small sandwiches, toast strips provide a healthy varied menu. Water in a lidded sipper cup can be placed nearby.

Don't make a fuss about using spoons or forks as this makes meals a battlefield which is the last thing anyone wants. Some children just like feeding themselves, often very independent kids, when he's ready he'll start using spoons and and forks like "big people".

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Nov-18 20:19:12

Like these - wipe clean:
www.joleetablecloths.co.uk/oilcloth-tablecloths

www.dunelm.com/product/cosy-skandi-pvc-tablecloth-1000051267

other retailers available

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Nov-18 20:15:58

DD at that age was starting to feed herself and then would turn the bowl upside down on her head if I didn't catch her first.
She always had lovely hair!

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Nov-18 20:14:40

One of those oilskin cloths (well, I don't think they are oilskin nowadays).
You can buy as much as you need from a roll or as a tablecloth, online or from a shop.

At 11 months he should be starting to use a spoon himself as well.

Bopeep14 Tue 13-Nov-18 20:10:53

Just to clarify this is my 6th grandchild I have looked after from being 8 months old so have done this before, I have always given them a spoon whilst feeding them, putting him in the kitchen is not an option it’s not big enough. I just have not had to deal with a child that wouldn’t let me give them any food off a spoon before, so I can limit the mess they make. Thanks for the food suggestions.

BlueBelle Tue 13-Nov-18 18:44:16

All good suggestions definitely don’t curtail him feeding himself whether it’s with fingers or forks/spoon and definitely a shower curtain under the high chair and at the table that takes one side out of four sides

Coolgran65 Tue 13-Nov-18 18:40:50

He has a spoon and you have a spoon. Mine will not be fed. However, As my dgs tries to feed himself with a spoon I can slip in some food. Then let him have a go at the finger food himself. Another one here that used an old shower curtain albeit on a wooden floor.

Mamissimo Tue 13-Nov-18 18:40:14

It looks like your DD has followed ‘baby led weaning’ in which the child is offered a range of tastes and textures....but not necessarily a spoon or fork! This latest method of introducing food also includes not feeding them - they’re supposed to do it themselves. I would chat it over with DD to see what she would like you to do with regards to spoons etc....and go to a charity shop for shower curtains ?

NfkDumpling Tue 13-Nov-18 17:17:22

Use a baby spoon and fork set. Give him the spoon in one hand and the fork in the other. He won’t want to put them down and will copy you and use them. The food needs to be a little wet so it sticks to the spoon and fork. It will be messy.

EllanVannin Tue 13-Nov-18 17:12:36

Children usually prefer to feed themselves in fact they throw a paddy and start squirming if you try to feed them.
As someone suggested,feed him in the kitchen.

MiniMoon Tue 13-Nov-18 16:50:07

At twelve months my DD took the spoon from me and fed herself with no mess. She was a very independent child. From then on she fed herself at every meal.
As others have said, give him a spoon and he'll soon be feeding himself.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 13-Nov-18 14:16:25

As others have said, plastic cover on floor. Is he ready to use a fork? Sounds like an independent child and self feeding is to be encouraged. I would give him what you eat yourself, small pieces of chicken, cut up potato and cut up easy to eat veg ie green beans, broccoli, carrot etc. My DCs were using small forks at that stage.

Elegran Tue 13-Nov-18 13:50:06

Don't try to spoon-feed him, but put a spoon within his reach, and sit where he can see you eating your yoghurt with a spoon. He'll probably start by using it to bang onto the stuff spilt around him and spread it even further afield - lay even more old curtains around! He will eventually disover for himself that putting it in his mouth gets him a taste of yoghurt.

cornergran Tue 13-Nov-18 13:30:16

Our daughter in law provided brightly coloured plastic sheets to go under a finger feeding little ones chair. From the £1 shop she said. I sem to recall a lot of pasta, dry cereal, any vegetable that could be cut into a stick, toast, cheese, small pieces of meat, most fruits (care with grapes) and anything he looked interested in that we were eating. Even a small pot of yoghurt was consumed with fingers. Yes it was messy but it didn’t last long, extend the floor covering. The mess will pass smile.

kittylester Tue 13-Nov-18 13:07:24

Great minds kittye (as well as great names)

There are loads on amazon for very little! Or feed him in the kitchen.

Kittye Tue 13-Nov-18 12:58:04

I used plastic tablecloth for mine

humptydumpty Tue 13-Nov-18 11:28:00

I agree with the above - rather than changing what/how he eats, provide more floor cover - an old sheet maybe?

etheltbags1 Tue 13-Nov-18 11:22:12

Try using an old shower curtain as i did.

maryeliza54 Tue 13-Nov-18 11:19:58

Or curtain even

maryeliza54 Tue 13-Nov-18 11:19:36

A bigger curtsin

M0nica Tue 13-Nov-18 11:16:21

Pasta dishes, but without lots of sauce, vegetable sticks: carrots, cucumber, peppers, pieces of fruit.dried fruit. cheese, scrambled egg.

Bopeep14 Tue 13-Nov-18 11:04:33

I have been looking after my 11 month old grandchild now since August, unfortunately I have come across a problem that I haven’t encountered before with my other grandchildren, he won’t be spoon fed no matter how much I try. When he is at home his parents just let him eat his food himself because of this. I need some ideas as to what to give him that wont make to much mess as I have carpet in my dining room. I have tried putting an old curtain down but he still manages to get it on the carpet. Any ideas?