Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do you avoid palm oil?

(32 Posts)
LyndaW Wed 14-Nov-18 15:51:49

Following on from the shocking Iceland ad and all the other news about it, I'm feeling like I should do more to stop buying things containing palm oil. Or at the very least buy things containing sustainable palm oil. But checking the labels the last few days, it's in so many of the things I buy. How do you manage to avoid it?

rockgran Thu 15-Nov-18 15:21:58

I'm confused too.
Some of these charts are quite old and I think improvements have been made.

According to Aldi on facebook this week -
"All palm oil used in our own-label food products has come from sustainable RSPO-certified sources since 2015. This position is being extended to non-food products by the end of 2018. - Aldi UK Facebook Team"

Alexa Thu 15-Nov-18 16:09:10

I shampoo my hair too frequently. When I was a girl I washed my hair once a fortnight and I had long strong glossy hair.

NfkDumpling Fri 16-Nov-18 07:25:27

I just checked out two or three shampoos on the Lush site. They don’t list palm oil. I think it helps to avoid liquid soaps altogether.

Does anyone know if Ecover uses palm oil?

Anja Fri 16-Nov-18 08:01:02

Sustainable palm oil is a myth. Many of these certifications are bought not earned.

Sparklefizz Fri 16-Nov-18 08:23:25

NanaElla Thanks for posting the link to the ethical consumer website - full of helpful info.

NfkDumpling Fri 16-Nov-18 08:30:23

I thought sustainable palm oil just means the replanting of fields that have already been chopped down. It’s just not on virgin land newly reclaimed from the forest.