Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas on a budget

(70 Posts)
etheltbags1 Sun 25-Nov-18 14:31:35

Has anyone got any ideas about how to really scrimp this year. I just cant manage to buy decent presents. Ive tried watching every tv programme about scrimping and gone on every website to get ideas. Im knitting for dhd but cant knit very fast so cant knit more. Does anyone know where the bargains are. I cant shop online as i use my credit card and im to scared to get into debt. There must be someone like me looking for a bargain. I need to sell my piano but no one wants one. Also i need ideas how to just live on a tiny budget until xmas. Any gift ideas welcome preferably under 10 quid.

SpringyChicken Sun 25-Nov-18 23:50:58

Most of my friends wear scarves (not the thick woolly variety, the thin floaty ones) and as you will know, they can be found in charity shops at bargain prices.
Bone china mugs? Sainsbury's sell some very nice ones for around a fiver.
M and S have loads of toiletries on offer at the moment, some half price, some 3 for 2.

Grammaretto Mon 26-Nov-18 07:57:32

Window shopping yesterday I noticed M&S had fancy jugs planted up with muscari bulbs. Now there's an idea I'll be copying but with charity shop jugs.
Otherwise I was very disappointed in the stock everywhere.

newnanny Mon 26-Nov-18 10:15:04

Had you thought of baking some cookies and giving as gifts? When I worked we used to do a secret Santa and one person baked and did this every year. We all desperately wanted her to be our Santa so we got her delicious cookies. Wrap them up in cellophane wrap and put a ribbon tied in a bow. You only need about 8 in each gift with chocolate chip etc.

newnanny Mon 26-Nov-18 10:19:12

In Morrison's they had some beautiful red cyclamens for only £1.50 each and poinsettias too. Paint the flowerpot red and place in cellophane and scrunch up over the top of plant and tie with a ribbon on top. It would look far more expensive than it is.

There are lots of sweets around for less than £5

newnanny Mon 26-Nov-18 10:24:47

Sodapop years ago when my babies were small we received babysitting vouchers from my younger sister who was a student at the time and we loved them as we rarely went out as it costed too much for meal out and to pay a babysitter so voucher was perfect. You could give a voucher to bake a cake, pet sit when others on holiday or even wash a car. Fab gifts.

newnanny Mon 26-Nov-18 10:32:49

I have told my children not to get me expensive presents but instead a bunch of flowers would be lovely and as 3 children one bunch at Xmas one in Jan and one in Feb and lovely to look forward to and this will help them spread the cost of Xmas a bit. I struggle to find places to put things anyway and really if I want something very much I just buy it for a little gift for myself. A photo frame also makes a lovely gift.

harrigran Mon 26-Nov-18 10:33:03

Boots gift range includes buy two items and get third free, I often buy stocking fillers like this.
In our family only the children get gifts, Christmas lunch out and tea provided by us is a break from the kitchen for the family.

David1968 Mon 26-Nov-18 10:33:14

This year I've come to an understanding with friends that we'll no longer exchange Christmas gifts, but will donate what we can to charity instead. With family, other than "bigger" gifts for our two DGC, we've an understanding that gifts purchased from charity shop are brilliant! (I love newnanny's idea of "family vouchers" - great, if you live near to one another.)

annodomini Mon 26-Nov-18 10:39:27

I've told the adults in my family not to buy me presents but to give a donation to a cause that is very dear to my heart. I will be doing likewise rather than give them presents. They have all agreed to this.

marpau Mon 26-Nov-18 10:46:19

Ethel you can shop online using a debit card then you are not tempted to overspend

mabon1 Mon 26-Nov-18 11:07:31

Keep it in the family and tell them you can't afford anything much,kf they are half decent probably they wont mind at all, just be upfront.

Niobe Mon 26-Nov-18 11:35:53

I only buy gifts for my son, his wife , her parents and now for our grandson. There is only one friend who I buy a gift for and I have known her since school. Our Dil's parents get a little basket of edible treats that I put together myself rather than buy an overpriced hamper. This year we have set a £20 limit so about £100 total compared to the £500-£600 we would usually spend. The whole Xmas thing is getting out of hand driven by the big shops.
On the charity shop front I have often seen cut glass jars and bowls which would look fabulous washed and filled with colourful sweets from the pound shops.

Milly Mon 26-Nov-18 12:05:04

I agree with Beau, and this year have told friends that other friends have suggested tha we no longer give gifts as
we have all we need and no room for anymore but just send cards, and I hope whoever I'm speaking to at the time is not offended. This has worked !!

Also my family have decided on Secret Santa, which you can do via the internet, where you are each given one name and so each family member has one present and we are all more relaxed and not worrying where the money is coming from to buy something someone probably wont want. Although this only works if you are all meeting up tog. on Christmas Day. I hope this helps. (Secret Santa allows you to set an amount to spend nd also a Wish List )

Breda Mon 26-Nov-18 17:05:25

Many years ago my daughter-in-laws father gave me a pretty little cyclamen for Christmas. I still have it on my bathroom window ledge and it flowers each year. Sadly, the gentleman that gave it to me died some time ago but whenever I look at it I remember his kindness in thinking of me. I doubt that he paid much for this pretty little plant but it was his kindness that was so special. A long lasting plant can hold so many memories for years to come and they are pretty to look at.

Maybe a few pretty pot plants could be a solution for any adults that you would like to give a gift to.

123kitty Mon 26-Nov-18 20:08:54

Beautiful home made biscuits, wrapped in cellophane and tied with a ribbon- well that's what I'd be thrilled to receive.

GillT57 Mon 26-Nov-18 20:20:02

a lovely china cup and saucer, really cheap in charity shops, planted with tete a tete bulbs. Cellophane, and ribbon and it will look lovely!

hippie Mon 26-Nov-18 20:24:14

well - I have been brave and told nieces and nephews I'm giving presents a miss this year...…..if they're decent kids they'll understand - if not I'm sorry...…..

petra Mon 26-Nov-18 21:02:57

etheltbags1
A while ago you freely admitted on GN that you posted wind up posts.
So is this one genuine or just a bit of fun for you.

br0adwater Mon 26-Nov-18 21:15:10

You also asked how to live frugally so here's some ideas.
Walk instead of drive/bus
Drink only water
Shop for food at the end of the day when there are lots of bargains
Buy/ cook extra and freeze portions
Jacket potato, pasta bake, omelette, risotto with leftovers
Turn the heating down and go for a walk or visit the library
Don't heat rooms you aren't using
These might be things you do already of course ...

oldbatty Mon 26-Nov-18 21:18:48

*A while ago you freely admitted on GN that you posted wind up posts.
So is this one genuine or just a bit of fun for you*

Do we have a link to this please?

Jalima1108 Tue 27-Nov-18 16:28:42

I need to sell my piano but no one wants one.
Someone may want to buy it ethel, especially after the JL advert. The other alternative is perhaps to start teaching your DGD the piano yourself and buy her some easy music for her Christmas present?

Stick to the shops that sell branded goods at a discount - they may sell 'tat' as well but that can be avoided. I found some hand puppets in a £1 shop which had to be sewn but were easy for a 6 year old to do with a bit of help, then she could devise puppet shows.

If you're into knitting then perhaps some knitted soap pouches might make nice present for the adults - you could buy some really nice soaps to fill them. The soap is used in the knitted pouch and it works as an exfoliator too.
www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/soap-socks.

There will be other free knitting patterns for small items which would make nice presents.

Jalima1108 Tue 27-Nov-18 16:30:08

ps the hand puppets were £3.99 each in another handicraft shop.
Mind you, they're not always in stock, it's a bit hit and miss.

gerry86 Wed 28-Nov-18 08:53:01

Keep a look out for reduced goods, I was in M&S yesterday and they had nice china bowls with hyacinth bulbs in it reduced to £1.60. I would be happy to receive something like this. Also, as others have said some home baked goodies would be welcome, lots of people don't have time to make a nice cake for themselves.

Katek Wed 28-Nov-18 11:51:05

I’ve just blown in from doing some shopping ethel (storm Diana is ferocious here!) and also saw some very nice new gifts in Barnardos and Cancer Research shops. Lovely sparkly mittens with faux fur cuff for £2 and the matching hat was £4, notelet sets, chunky warm scarves etc. Local chemist also supports Sue Ryder and pharmacist makes lots of small craft items for sale. Little hessian sacks filled with chocs tied with string and a brown paper label, knitted Xmas stockings with chocs etc. Look around all these places - there really are bargains to be had.

etheltbags1 Wed 28-Nov-18 12:38:46

Thank you for all ideas. I see there is a tiger in eldon square near me. Will have a look