Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas on a budget

(70 Posts)
etheltbags1 Sun 25-Nov-18 14:31:35

Has anyone got any ideas about how to really scrimp this year. I just cant manage to buy decent presents. Ive tried watching every tv programme about scrimping and gone on every website to get ideas. Im knitting for dhd but cant knit very fast so cant knit more. Does anyone know where the bargains are. I cant shop online as i use my credit card and im to scared to get into debt. There must be someone like me looking for a bargain. I need to sell my piano but no one wants one. Also i need ideas how to just live on a tiny budget until xmas. Any gift ideas welcome preferably under 10 quid.

oldbatty Wed 28-Nov-18 12:42:26

Do you post to wind people up or are you genuine please?

Stansgran Wed 28-Nov-18 12:56:47

I always hankerafter someone giving me the ingredients in jar for biscuits with the recipe. I think it's a lovely idea. Look on Pinterest for recipes. I'm including homemade lavender bags in my presents. I second the works for presents.i bought a complete set of books boxed for one grand child and a james Martin cookbook fro £3 from £25 for another. I saw things I would like ( a Jane Austen colouring book if anyone is feeling generous)grin
Perhaps give people iou s - a knitted hat and mits by new year, a load of weeding in the spring. Something like that.

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Nov-18 13:36:06

why do I never see things like that in M&S?

MawBroon Wed 28-Nov-18 14:17:09

Why are you banging on about that old batty ?
Etheltbags posed a very simple question and I’m sure there are others working on a restricted budget.

oldbatty Wed 28-Nov-18 14:19:23

petra Mon 26-Nov-18 21:02:57
etheltbags1
A while ago you freely admitted on GN that you posted wind up posts.
So is this one genuine or just a bit of fun for you.

MawBroon Wed 28-Nov-18 14:20:14

Give it a rest!

oldbatty Wed 28-Nov-18 14:20:55

Perhaps petra would like to enlighten us.

It was never my intention to upset the OP and of course many people are on a restricted budget.

MawBroon Wed 28-Nov-18 14:23:30

If you are quoting somebody old batty please make it clear.
The normal convention on GN is this (^ ^) or you could use “. “

RachellaGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 28-Nov-18 14:31:58

Hello All:

We've noticed that a few posts on this conversation are coming close to crossing the line. Could you please refrain from personal attacks as it would be a shame to close this discussion.

Thank you!

oldbatty Wed 28-Nov-18 14:39:47

I think " banging on about " and " Give it a rest" have crossed a line.

MawBroon Wed 28-Nov-18 14:42:43

I think as comments they were entirely justified in respect of Etheltbags’s feelings.

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Nov-18 14:49:06

I think this thread is very useful for anyone on a restricted budget so thank you for starting it etheltbags.

Christmas has become far too commercial and I hope that thoughtful gifts which may not cost very much will become the norm for many.

Wasn't there another thread about getting into debt at Christmas?
That is not what Christmas is all about.

newnanny Wed 28-Nov-18 16:33:30

The main thing to remember is it is the thought that counts. It is nice and somehow comforting to think someone baked you a few biscuits or planted you up some bulbs in a tea cup. Do not over spend and leave yourself short over the year and no loved once would want that for you.

newnanny Wed 28-Nov-18 16:35:12

There was a similar thread on Mumsnet and I was pleased to see how many sensible Mum's advocated not spending more than they could afford and not getting into debt for one day.

Pythagorus Wed 28-Nov-18 16:49:42

Every year I have a theme for gifts. Books one year, something to eat or drink another year, something for the kitchen .... and so on. When it was boom year, I went into my local Oxfam and their book section is full of new books donated by people who have never read them. They cost a couple of pounds, absolute bargains. There is something for everybody. One year I trawled the charity shops for really pretty bowls. I filled them with Quality Street or similar sweets and wrapped the whole lot in cellophane and tied it with Christmas ribbon. It’s such fun doing things like this. I also have a drawer of lovely things I bought in the Jan sale last year ....... for a couple of pounds each. They will be coming out at Christmas.

Sydney2012 Wed 28-Nov-18 16:52:25

When my husband and myself were going through difficult Financial Times I bought him a world map with a note saying I would give him the world if I could. It’s still his favourite gift and he uses it.

Lisagran Wed 28-Nov-18 16:55:05

Aw, Sydney2012 smile

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Nov-18 20:29:55

I do like the idea of a large teacup and saucer (charity shop) planted with some bulbs, perhaps tete-a-tete daffodils
If anyone is reading this thread ….. smile

annep Fri 30-Nov-18 08:40:26

Charity shops and cheaper shops as others have said. Not a problem. And on boxing day Boots usually do half price sale- for next year and birthdays.