Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone planning to exercise today?

(99 Posts)
Riverwalk Fri 30-Nov-18 08:07:37

I'm feeling very slobby - done no walking for the past two days.

Need to get lazy bum into gear, get dressed and out the door! Planning to do a 90 minute walk, clear the cobwebs and burn off a few calories. smile

Just have another coffee first cafe

GabriellaG Fri 30-Nov-18 14:03:04

I cycle, ride and row.
This morning, it being blue skies and sunny in my part of SW Surrey, I decided to cycle along trails and the River Wey. Stopped for coffee with a friend in her narrowboat, which was moored along this stretch of water ( photo)
Fed some greedy ducks then continued the ride towards home.
All in all, about 22 miles.
That's my lot for the day. grin

GabriellaG Fri 30-Nov-18 14:05:14

Er...photo grin

Coconut Fri 30-Nov-18 14:09:24

I try to do a 40 min power walk 3 or 4 times a week and try not to make excuses not to go !??‍♀️?‍♂️

Blue45Sapphire Fri 30-Nov-18 14:26:05

I was just going to suggest the Walking for Health groups, NannyJan; I belong to two, and it gets me out of the house. There is at least one every day in the town where I live. I am a lot more active now since I lost DH, as in the last few years he found it very tiring to walk anywhere, so I didn't really bother. One of my walks is about an hour, and the other one we have a choice of a longer or shorter. We have a cup of tea after and it makes it a nice social occasion. It might be worth you trying these, Ellan.
I walked to the hairdressers and back this morning (all of 5 minutes each way!) and I'm about to set off to pick DGDs up from school, about 25 minutes there and back.

grannytotwins Fri 30-Nov-18 14:50:40

I did an hour of kickboxing today. I was 69 yesterday. Two years ago I was walking with sticks and using disability equipment. My daughter introduced me to kickboxing in March last year. I’m now a purple belt and should be black belt in October next year just a month before my 70th. I train three times a week. I’m so proud of myself as I’ve never done anything sporty in my life before, so you’ll have to excuse the boasting!

Lisagran Fri 30-Nov-18 14:59:50

Wow, grannytotwins! Impressive! Well done you.

GabriellaG Fri 30-Nov-18 15:03:23

Another 'Well done' from me. grannytotwins grin

Izabella Fri 30-Nov-18 15:06:52

Good on yer girl!!

Funnygran Fri 30-Nov-18 15:32:15

That's fantastic grannytotwins I'm feeling rather virtuous - and tired having notched up 15000 steps on a walking tour of Amsterdam! I never manage anything like that at home so quite something for me.

Cold Fri 30-Nov-18 15:44:39

I have been to the warm water pool and done 90 minutes of aqua aerobics

grandMattie Fri 30-Nov-18 15:57:13

Well done grannytotwins, and there I was feeling virtuous. DH and I do 30 minutes of T'ai Chi every morning and walk round our town - 45 minutes every morning. I loathe "exercise" but do it to keep supple and vertical!

Wishes Fri 30-Nov-18 16:54:57

I've been on a school trip to Dudley Zoo today pushing a wheelchair.
If anyone's visited this zoo they'll know it is extremely hilly! Think I've exercised most bits.

BBbevan Fri 30-Nov-18 16:55:08

Yes, walked around Ikea for 2 hrs, ?

Hm999 Fri 30-Nov-18 17:05:52

I walk the dog before breakfast, before my brain wakes up and tells me I don't want to go out.

sodapop Fri 30-Nov-18 17:13:26

I'm exhausted now just reading what all you fit GN posters have been doing.
Time for a G & T and watch the JK show -ha.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 30-Nov-18 17:17:28

Usual ten minutes on treadmill, normal walking pace. Then half hour of Tai Chi before hitting the shops in attempt to finish Christmas gift shopping.
Have to force myself onto the treadmill but always feel virtuous afterwards!

Diggingdoris Fri 30-Nov-18 18:11:54

Beautiful day here so it was a joy to walk dog for an hour this morning and half an hour this afternoon.
I have dog-less friends who often join me on dog walks, as I like the company and a good natter. They do walks to places they probably wouldn't walk to alone, so everyone is happy. If you need an excuse to walk, ask a dog owning neighbour if you can join them. They would probably enjoy the company.

GabriellaG Fri 30-Nov-18 18:12:28

Feelingmyage55
Oh yes.
Probably more than walking and on a par with a brisk jog. grin

Daisyboots Fri 30-Nov-18 19:14:29

Returned home to Portugal from England and normally with just walking through Gatwick and Porto airports would show over 7500 steps. But my left hip has been very painful for the last week so I arranged assistance at both ends. The result is I have only 1012 steps since I got up this morning. Still feeling pretty sorry for myself especially as I appear to have pulled muscles on the right side of my chest when my DS decided to pull me out of the chair last night trying to help. It hurts to breath deeply and couldnt sleep either. DH has no patience with it all although he benefitted from my assistance. I must say I met some very kind and helpful people at both ends today. I am feeling quite envious of all your energies today.

chelseababy Fri 30-Nov-18 19:23:39

I've just started the walk a mile routines on YouTube. All done in the comfort of your sitting room!

mumofmadboys Fri 30-Nov-18 19:26:24

We met some friends in the Eden Valley today and walked about five miles and then had lunch together

Sheilasue Fri 30-Nov-18 19:53:54

Just not long come back from Bluewater shopping mall in Kent. My dd and I have been Christmas shopping according to her Fitbit we have walked 10,000 steps.

crystaltipps Fri 30-Nov-18 19:58:45

Done a “big ball and bands” class, consisting of exercise using big exercise balls and resistance bands. Love it.

moggie57 Fri 30-Nov-18 21:58:56

sounds a bit like me. i walk to the bus stop. before that i walked my cat around the communal gardens(dont laugh)then i do my voluntary job at salvation army charity shop.2-5pm plenty of exercise there..then home for tea at about 6pm, nice cup of nestle's hot chocolate before bed..

Anja Fri 30-Nov-18 22:25:57

Not planning exercise. Will just walk dogs and then into town and back.