Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone planning to exercise today?

(99 Posts)
Riverwalk Fri 30-Nov-18 08:07:37

I'm feeling very slobby - done no walking for the past two days.

Need to get lazy bum into gear, get dressed and out the door! Planning to do a 90 minute walk, clear the cobwebs and burn off a few calories. smile

Just have another coffee first cafe

Lilyflower Sat 01-Dec-18 07:03:41

I still do my post natal, tummy exercises as soon as I get up - and very tedious they are. Still, they have worked and I have a flat tummy at the age of 62.

During the morning I make my housework:- vacuuming, ironing , dusting and so on part of my exercise regime and often rack up 5000 steps or so on my Fitbit.

Later, come rain or shine, I will go out for an hour’s walk and possibly for a further stroll after that. I retired early from teaching with stress and find that both exercise and being out in nature are a mental massage.

Yesterday my Fitbit said I had done 20,000 steps and I felt great. In these days of mental health problems I think the benefits of physical exercise on the mind should be more widely known.

GreenGran78 Sat 01-Dec-18 11:38:55

Until last year I was very active. Now osteoarthritis has kicked in on my right hip and knee. It's so frustrating to suddenly find normal activities quite painful. I am trying to keep moving as much as possible. I go to a stretch and balance class, and one for tai chi, and our U3A has indoor kurling in the winter, and bowls in the summer.
But - at home - I find it easy to procrastinate and sit about, instead of exercising - even though it's a case of 'use it, or lose it.' I should have a daily routine of exercises, but it's so boring.
I just count my blessings that I have reached 79 before having problems. Quite a few of my younger friends have suffered for years, and had joint replacements, so I try not to complain.

Riverwalk Sat 12-Jan-19 12:02:09

I was up and out at 08.00 and did a 90 minute brisk walk - planned on 2 hours but was on my own and got bored!

I'm off to Peter Jones later but don't count trotting around the shops as exercise.

Tomorrow is another day grin

DoraMarr Sat 12-Jan-19 12:44:23

Riverwalk enjoy your walk around Peter Jones-of course shopping is exercise!
I'm going to Tai Chi this afternoon.

Cabbie21 Sat 12-Jan-19 12:52:25

Today I have hoovered and dusted upstairs, and washed kitchen and bathroom floors on my hands and knees for my exercise so far.

Farmor15 Sat 12-Jan-19 12:59:15

I’m going out to saw some firewood. It will keep me warm twice (think about it). I like exercise that achieves something ?.

Greyduster Sat 12-Jan-19 13:07:16

No. I am going to sit in a chair and read a book in perfect silence this afternoon, having sent the menfolk off to footie. In mitigation, we did have a five mile walk on Tuesday, and this morning, having failed to get a space in the car park, we ended up quarter of a mile from the park where GS was running, so that was a bit of a stroll! It will have to do today. I am mindful that I need to get off my backside a bit more though. Slacking a bit since Christmas.

cavewoman Sat 12-Jan-19 13:17:24

No chance. Laying on sofa with elevated leg due to a grade 2 hamstring injury. Exercise is not good for you grin

KatyK Sat 12-Jan-19 13:33:34

I've done about 30 minutes walking to the shops and back today. Like Greyduster my men (man) folks has gone to the match so it's a relaxing afternoon for me.

EllanVannin Sat 12-Jan-19 13:36:48

Taking it easy this last twelve months has been a life-saver for me after looking after my next door neighbours at all hours of the night and day.
I was beginning to feel quite unwell with never knowing when they'd knock, so when they finally went into nursing/residential homes a year ago I was able to sit back------though it took time to realise that I was no longer " needed " I also had to learn to relax.
I'd been doing it for nearly five years and now I'll never feel guilty at doing nothing.
( they were the same age as myself ! )

Willynilly Sat 12-Jan-19 14:45:38

Dog walk and a spin class today. I probably over exercise sometimes but have been diagnosed with osteoporosis so I'm trying to aid bone health.

M0nica Sat 12-Jan-19 15:50:14

Went for a walk as usual.

JackyB Sat 12-Jan-19 16:43:35

After reading this thread I need a lie down.

Riverwalk Wed 16-Jan-19 12:50:58

This morning I incorporated College Green into my walk - I like to have a topical theme going! Hope I don't see myself on the lunchtime news shock

I saw Tom Newton Dunn, political editor of The Sun, he's very tall and handsome! smile

Izabella Thu 17-Jan-19 11:05:12

I am off for my swim in an hour. I work hard in the pool and ensure I swim hard enough to be slightly out of breath. Possibly a jacuzzi afterwards to sooth the aching legs from yesterdays weights session. I shall then be 'dropped off' at the PO and library and walk home.

MawBroon Thu 17-Jan-19 11:10:57

Riverwalk grin
No beefcake around here alas, I think I’ll pass on the exercise!

Jane10 Thu 17-Jan-19 11:28:03

Well I went to my first Aquafit class today after 2 years off due to knee replacements. Blimey. I'd wondered where the flab had accrued while I sat about recovering. Well I ken noo! (Scottish alert). I seem to have a large bobbling thing attached to my lower back. I never had one before. I was a flat bottomed shapeless person. Now I think I could give that ridiculous Kardashian person a run for her money.
It was good exercise though. I do recommend Aquafit.

chelseababy Thu 17-Jan-19 12:24:05

I've done a 2 mile walk in the comfort of my kitchen! I downloaded a free app to my phone. Takes about 30 minutes and I try to do one of the walks every other day. Fitbit classes it as aerobic activity!

Gonegirl Thu 17-Jan-19 12:36:22

I used to walk miles, cycle, (kitchen)dance, the lot. Then, two years ago, I hit 75 and suddenly it became such hard work. It was like dropping off the side of a cliff, it happened so suddenly. I still try, but there is only so much energy to go round.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Jan-19 12:38:08

So envy your College Green walk Riverwalk.

DoraMarr Thu 17-Jan-19 12:53:53

I’ve just walked around the park, but after half an hour I suddenly felt very tired, so I came home. I suppose this is the dreaded RT fatigue they warn you about. Still, half an hour is better than nothing.

felice Thu 17-Jan-19 13:58:45

Does physio count, if so I have done my bit for today. Enjoyed it to.

JoyBloggs Thu 17-Jan-19 14:10:41

Hmm... sitting here happily sipping tea and perusing GN. But Pilates starts at 3 so I have to remove my cosy clothes, don the outfit and drag myself out of the house into the cold in 40 mins. Or I could just make another cup of tea and vigorously exercise my jaws on the final crumbs of Christmas cake. Decisions, decisions...