Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas decorations.

(13 Posts)
Bopeep14 Mon 03-Dec-18 10:20:21

I have since I got older,hated putting up the Christmas decorations, I find it so tiring and painful (multiple health problems ), we have to get someone to help get it out of the attic which in itself is a chore. Yesterday I mentioned it to hubby that I wasn’t looking forward to putting the tree up, and he said don’t then. Would I be awful in not putting it up, we don’t have family over for Christmas, we go to our daughters Christmas Day night, used to go to eldest on Boxing Day but that’s not happening this year. I mentioned to hubby about buying a pop up tree but he said no. My daughter has offered to put it up for me but I would feel I had to help. What would you do?

tanith Mon 03-Dec-18 10:28:16

I wouldn’t doing it if I felt as you both do, what’s the point if it’s so bothersome and only for the benefit of you two. Different if you were entertaining over the holidays but as you aren’t do as you please.

FlexibleFriend Mon 03-Dec-18 10:49:37

It's up to you, you have no one to please but yourselves.
Some people go over the top but that's up to them, you really should do what you want to do.

Puddelchen Mon 03-Dec-18 11:23:40

I have a two foot high tree which stays decorated from one year to the next, just pop a bin liner over it and store it away in the back of a wardrobe in my case. Just a question of getting it out and putting it in place. Easy peasy.

Mapleleaf Mon 03-Dec-18 14:57:26

If you don't want to put up decorations and a tree, then don't. It has nothing to do with anyone else. It doesn't matter what they think. Your home, your choice.

Maggiemaybe Mon 03-Dec-18 15:04:18

It depends on what you want, Bopeep. Your husband obviously isn’t bothered, but are you? Would you miss not having them up? Does your husband have health problems too or could he see to the decorations or help your daughter put them up? Btw, how nice for you to have such a considerate daughter. smile

Franbern Mon 03-Dec-18 15:09:08

I stopped having a tree and decorations when I stopped having Christmas at my house. I go away each year, so really cannot see any point.

Stansgran Mon 03-Dec-18 16:13:16

I change mantelpiece candles to gold or silver ones and put pots of poor old mini poinsettias along the window ledges alternating with advent candles and I put bowls of Christmassy pot pourri around . DH loves a tree but it doesn't go u until christamas eve and as we'll be away I'm going to have to negotiate but I do find that we are festive enough before the tree goes up with all the cards and cooking smells. We didn't have Xmas trees until Prince Albert came on the scene.

Teetime Mon 03-Dec-18 16:16:49

I find the Christmas decorations very cheerful and they help lift the mood. If you dont find this and you wont miss them dont put them up - you could just have a poinsettia or a nice flower arrangement instead.

J52 Mon 03-Dec-18 16:21:08

Why not put a few silver/ gold twigs in a vase and hang some small bauble and lights on them.
Easily dismantled, but give a room a festive touch.

Feelingmyage55 Mon 03-Dec-18 16:34:05

Would you enjoy the tree/decorations once up? If yes, then why not allow your daughter the pleasure of doing it for you? You could go out while it is being done, come home and have a little “lights on” celebration with coffee and cake.

Willow500 Mon 03-Dec-18 16:35:08

I've just been to a friend's house for coffee this morning and her tree is beautiful - it is a pop up one which she literally just pulls up and it's complete with lights and baubles and covered in snow. One of the nicest easy trees I've seen.

Meanwhile I've been putting mine up since last Thursday grin

Willow500 Mon 03-Dec-18 16:37:18

Forgot to say if you don't want to decorate then don't but I always went round and did my parents in later years when Dad couldn't do it - Mum always loved Christmas and decorating for it. If your daughter wants to help I would let her.