Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Stopping a domestic

(34 Posts)
NanKate Sat 08-Dec-18 21:54:13

DH has the annoying habit of asking if cooked food, such as roast chicken, is properly cooked. He usually carves and will say ‘does it look a bit pink to you’?

Tonight we had a Tesco Finest Chicken and Prawn Paella. I asked him to serve up the meal while I did something else. He then said ‘this prawn feels a bit tough’. I tried it and it tasted fine but chewy. I told him I had cooked the paella for the correct amount of time. I then went and found the cover to check that I had done everything properly. Then I noticed it said, stir half way through, which I hadn’t done. We then decided to give it another minute in the microwave and all was well.

I decided to broach the subject of the turkey at Xmas and suggested we bought some device to check the bird was cooked through as I didn’t want the usual old barney of is it or isn’t it cooked. I heard DH mumbling ‘I won’t say a word but I will eat the outside of the bird’. I almost poured the paella over his head ?

We have very few arguments but this is a perennial one. Your suggestions please.

EllanVannin Sun 09-Dec-18 17:25:18

I was going to say that kitty but I thought not in case nobody believed me hahahaa. " I can smell it's cooked ".

Lynne59 Sun 09-Dec-18 18:43:55

I'm the same as your husband - I wouldn't eat any meat that is pink. I only eat chicken and turkey, anyway, as I'm not keen on lamb, pork or beef.

I over-cook meat and fish. If something is meant to be in the oven for an hour, I cook it for another 15 minutes. I once had food poisoning, and I was so ill, I wouldn't ever want that again.

NanKate Sun 09-Dec-18 22:04:23

My DH will be pleased to know there are others that back him with all this cautiousness. I won’t go into his other foibles but I certainly wouldn’t swap him.

M0nica Sun 09-Dec-18 22:14:02

I don't think the facts of whether the meat is cooked or not has anything to do with it, I doubt all the digital thermometers in the world could convince this man that the meat is fully cooked

Send him to a counsellor, to discover the source of this obsession with whether the meat is fully cooked and then deal with it.

Maggiemaybe Sun 09-Dec-18 22:41:29

My grandmother used to say that if there wasn’t blood on the plate when beef was served, it was over-cooked. I agree. When we lived in Germany we ate mettbrotchen for lunch, raw peppered minced beef in crusty rolls. Delicious.

With chicken, I just check that the juices run clear when pierced with a skewer.

Maggiemaybe Sun 09-Dec-18 22:53:40

I’ve only had food poisoning once, and it was immediately after a mussels starter in a very nice restaurant. I had to push past the queue for the ladies’ with my hand clamped firmly over my mouth.

When I reappeared all pale and wan I found that the local society for the deaf were having their Christmas do there, and as I walked past most of them were graphically signing to each other exactly what I had been doing in the loo. grin

M0nica Mon 10-Dec-18 00:31:01

I must confess that since having a very bad attack of food poisoning many years ago, after eating what DF, myself and youngest sister agreed was quite the most delicious steak we had ever eaten, I cannot eat eat meat that is not fully cooked. But I can be rational about whether meat is cooked based on cooking time, temperature and examining it before eating it.

Coolgran65 Mon 10-Dec-18 02:18:03

if the legs are falling off the chicken it's ready. ?