Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What would your name be?

(125 Posts)
rizlett Sun 09-Dec-18 19:50:19

Following on from the legal name thread earlier - if your name could be anything you wanted - what would you choose - or do you like the one you have already?

Blue45Sapphire Tue 11-Dec-18 08:10:16

Gabrielle, yes, one of those three but not telling you which one! Absolutely hate it.

Purpledaffodil Tue 11-Dec-18 08:46:41

My grandmother was Sarah Jane. Would have loved it but DM said it was regarded as a servant’s name! Sadly I got Janice which like all the Susans here firmly dates me!
DD has just called her new baby after my mother, it’s a virtue name and I just love the name and the continuity of my GM choosing a name which her GGD also chose a hundred years later.

Rufus2 Tue 11-Dec-18 08:47:50

I'm Alan! Couldn't be easier?
Receptionist; "First Name?"
Me; "Alan."
Receptionist: "How do you spell it?"
Me; (knowing what's to come) "One l, 2as. They fall for it every time and write "Alaan" Oh well; it's a good conversation starter! tchgrin
Another name I could live with; "Obediah Slope" Has a classy touch about it! tchwink

Auntieflo Tue 11-Dec-18 08:50:49

My name has always been unusual, although now it is heard a bit more.
I was the only one at school, and for years never knew another.
Where I volunteer, there used to be one other, and we have a new lady with my name.
It's strange, I can happily share my name with some people, but hate it with others !
I wouldn't like to change it now, it's me and I am it.

Blinko Tue 11-Dec-18 08:57:37

My grandmother was called Sarah Eleanor. I think they're lovely names...

Sheilasue Tue 11-Dec-18 09:06:15

Never really liked my name, would rather my middle name
Susanne.

Grandma70s Tue 11-Dec-18 09:53:22

Blue45Sapphire -

I agree Rosalind and Rosamund are good names. I know a Rosamund, but she’s always called Roz, which completely spoils it. That’s the problem with names that are easy to shorten.

I’ve noticed that it’s usual to give babies abbreviated names now. Alfie, Harry, Freddie, Archie are all in the top ten or so most popular baby names for boys. I think Charlie’s there as well. Call a child by whatever nickname you like, but I think the official name should be a proper one.

It’s not new. I had an aunt who was christened Bessie in 1919. As soon as she could, she changed it to Elizabeth.

Purpledaffodil Tue 11-Dec-18 10:04:53

Grandma70s I had a class once with 4 Harrys: a Harrison a Henry and 2 Harrys. Do agree re giving short forms as actual name, they may sound cute on small children but don’t grow up well. At least the full name is more flexible.

Willynilly Tue 11-Dec-18 10:51:27

I have an unusual name, usually mispronounced and/or misspelled. My father was friendly with an actress shock hence my name. In the past I've never bothered to correct people when they get it wrong but in my 6th decade it's beginning to annoy me. Too late to change it though.

Lumarei Thu 13-Dec-18 09:07:39

My mother and father had the same surname (not related in case you wonder) so mother didn’t need to change hers. When I married I took my husband’s highly common surname. As soon as we divorced I changed my name back to my maiden name which I had sorely missed during my marriage.
My first names are both my grand mothers’ names and I feel warmly embedded in my families history. My first name is Italian and whilst it is rare here I have always liked it very much even though people always ask me how they should pronounce it. I just tell people that as long as they address me kindly and mean well they can pronounce my name however they like or call me whatever they like.
Other than that I do love the sound of Yulia, Yasmeen and Yudith.

glammanana Thu 13-Dec-18 09:25:57

I always used to think my parents wanted boys as they gave us 3 eldest girls the female version of boys names,what was that all about I always wondered.
My name was not considered popular in 1950 when I was born but is very popular now always seeming to come in the top 10 of girls names,even a princess being called the same name.
I have always wanted to be named Jennifer and rue the day I was talked out of calling my DD that name.

GabriellaG54 Sun 16-Dec-18 17:01:17

Blue45Sapphire
1st. ??

PageTurner Mon 17-Dec-18 04:05:59

I've always hated my first name. Think female cartoon character from the 40's. I wish I had my sisters name, Jeannine or my grandmothers, Petra. Could go by my middle name, Eleanor which I like.
I never changed my first name because I didn't want to hurt my mothers feelings. Now I think it's too late to be bothered.

absent Mon 17-Dec-18 04:15:08

When my daughter was born and I told my Mum the name we had chosen – and it took forever for Mr absent and me to agree to any name – she was horrified. She said, "That's an old woman's name", but I pointed out that old women were once babies. It is now one of the most popular names in the UK.

My name locks me into the 1950s – no one is called by that name now. My aunt suggested Henrietta after after my father or Petronella after his sister, my aunt. He wasn't bonkers about Henrietta because he thought it was too old fashioned and Petronella was, apparently, too theatrical – little did he know!

I have always disliked my name but it is a bit too late to change now.

MawBroon Mon 17-Dec-18 06:27:14

Myra, Maggie or Bodiccea
Do you mean “Boudicca/Boudica”” or “Boadicea” as we used to call her (Queen of the Iceni) ?

Dontaskme Mon 17-Dec-18 06:53:34

If people pronounced my name as it should be then I might like it more. The name I would have loved I gave to my DD

craftergran Mon 17-Dec-18 07:00:22

I'd have a liked to be called Penelope (never to be shortened) and a posh double barrelled surname. Oh and the lifestyle to go with it.

ginny Mon 17-Dec-18 07:44:50

I am quite happy with my name. I don’t mind the full or shortened version.
However, I’m not keen on my surname and wish I had kept my maiden name which is much nicer.

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Dec-18 13:45:56

Penelope Pit-Stop craftergran?

muffinthemoo Mon 17-Dec-18 14:21:23

I go by a nickname given at school to all friends/companions. It's nicer than my own (although similar) and was given by those dear to me so I'm happy with it.

My parents still use the name they picked, which regrettably was one of THE names of the eighties. There are thousands upon thousands of us. Something more unusual (like my nickname) would have been better.

Alexa Mon 17-Dec-18 15:23:12

I'd choose 'Mary Ann Gray'.

Grandma70s Mon 17-Dec-18 15:29:16

There’s a BBC correspondent called Laura Trevelyan. I think that’s a lovely name.

I like Cornish names like Morwenna and Demelza, but I think perhaps you have to be Cornish to get away with those.

cavewoman Mon 17-Dec-18 16:46:16

I loved Enid Blytons' Malory Towers books.
I would have given anything to have been Alicia,Felicity or Darrell. Or George from the Famous Five.

Grandma70s Mon 17-Dec-18 16:59:57

Darrell sounds like a boy, though.