Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dare I....

(35 Posts)
Kateykrunch Tue 18-Dec-18 14:59:19

The hot water bottle thread has prompted this....we used to use an electric underblanket, but having spent 10 months liberally creamed (whole of chest) each night with E45 I am now reluctant to put the electric blanket on in case we go up in flames. E45 is highly flamable and our mattress will definitely have had the cream soak into it along with the residue of the cream, the mattress appears fine and we dont want to replace it just yet, but we are missing the warmth, am I overthinking it?

Theoddbird Fri 21-Dec-18 22:08:04

Thank you for the explanations. I understand now. There are so many gentle moisturiser on the market to use. Surely one like Simple would work or Aveena (think that is how it is spelt). I wish you all well xxx

Kateykrunch Fri 21-Dec-18 15:31:37

Thanks all, I am sorted, ordered new bedding (cosy brushed cotton and a fleece throw) and a couple of microwave snuggly things, yawn...........zzzzzzzzzzzz

4allweknow Thu 20-Dec-18 22:38:51

Could you wear a cheap baggy tee shirt on top. That should take a lot of the grease up. BtW I can't use E45 as brings me out in a red blotchy rash. Used it for moisturising. Put up with it for ages until GP suggested it was the lanolin in the cream. Apparently common problem. Prescribed Aveeno as has oats instead of lanolin in it. Works a treat for me

JanaNana Thu 20-Dec-18 22:06:13

Theoddbird.
I used it because of breast cancer surgery and radiotherapy. You have to use a suitable moisturiser three times a day when having RT and for some time afterwards. The hospital recommends E45 but it is a personal choice, they give you a guideline of suitable products to use. I find E45 quite greasy so only use it straight after showering. Simple rich moisturiser from Superdrug is more effective I find, and better, lasts for 12 hours after one application. It does give a warning on the back of the E45 container of the associated risks concerning fire. ( Some people use E45 for extremely dry skin conditions and may have to use it more frequently than others).

Kateykrunch Thu 20-Dec-18 16:23:34

Oh, thankyou Auntieflo, all the best x

Auntieflo Thu 20-Dec-18 16:22:20

KK even.

Auntieflo Thu 20-Dec-18 16:22:06

X posts KI, and thanks for your recent support to me. Happy Christmas.

Auntieflo Thu 20-Dec-18 16:21:22

Theoddbird. I think it may be some of us have had breast surgery and during and after radiotherapy treatment, lots of moisturising is advised. Hence the GN’s slipping around in bed tchsmile

Kateykrunch Thu 20-Dec-18 16:20:20

Theoddbird......unfortunately I have to use E45 or similar due to the after effects of recent cancer surgery, treatment and radiotherapy. I am fed up with Eau de E45, but needs must.
Gp’s are now obliged to mention the flamability of these products when given on prescription amd there are now warnings printed on the labels.
I suppose I could power a small car with the petroleum infiltrate lol!

GabriellaG54 Thu 20-Dec-18 16:13:52

Cheap double mattress protectors are £6.00 in Primark, pillow protectors are £4.50 per pair.
Wide elasticated straps across corners. I replace mine every 6 months and give the 'old' ones to a women's refuge or the Sally Army...after I wash them, of course.
If you cream your chest, why don't you lie on your back to stop the stuff going everywhere. You must put a heck of a lot on as I presume you wear pjs so it must be seeping through those too. Is it necessary to use so much?

Wilma65 Thu 20-Dec-18 15:58:36

Have you tried the microwaveable water bottles to warm the bed up before you get into it?

Theoddbird Thu 20-Dec-18 15:27:40

Am I missing something here? Can someone tell me why people are covering themselves with E45 cream....

Ironmaiden Thu 20-Dec-18 13:58:15

kirkubbin2000 It is very cold if you don’t have or use central heating. I remember a time I couldn’t get into bed without an electric blanket when I stayed with my father. Luckily I didn’t use petroleum products.

JanaNana Thu 20-Dec-18 13:40:23

I use E45 in the morning after showering, and Simple Rich Moisturiser at night time (this is safe and fragrance free.) I had to use it regularly after radiotherapy and am still using it a few months later. The Simple Moisturiser feels less greasy than E45, needs less of it and soaks straight in.
I would,nt risk it, it not worth taking the chance. Maybe get a new topper, also make sure it has,nt seeped into your duvet as well.

kircubbin2000 Thu 20-Dec-18 13:03:55

It's not that cold in UK specially if you share a bed. Wear an old sweater if you must.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 20-Dec-18 12:44:17

KateykrunchTo enable you to enjoy using your electric blanket, or you intend standing in front of an open fire after using your cream which would be dangerous ,then contact the manufacturers of your blanket and also the manufacturers of the cream, for their advice. Who is 'we' ?how do they feel about a ban on an electric blanket OR why not separate beds.? Then cocoon yourself in layers of what ever that will keep you warm while 'we' is snug with their own means of obtaining warmth.

wot Thu 20-Dec-18 12:44:04

I have been using various moisturisers all my life as i am a dry old bird! Ive got an eiectric under blanket which i sometimes leave on all night. I haven't combusted yet!

annodomini Thu 20-Dec-18 12:17:59

Instead of an electric blanket, I bought a 'teddy' fleece underblanket which is lightly padded on the reverse side as the fleece might be too warm in summer. I also wear bed socks in almost all weathers.

PeggyEm Thu 20-Dec-18 12:10:20

Can you not put the cream on in the morning when you get up?

Edithb Thu 20-Dec-18 11:22:45

Has it ever happened though?

nahsma Thu 20-Dec-18 10:47:00

I had the impression from the linked article that the problem arises from naked flames or cigarette embers, so assuming you don't smoke in bed, or have an open fire in your bedroom, then the electric blanket shouldn't be a problem. Surely it doesn't reach a temperature which induces spontaneous combustion? I'm now wondering if that character in Bleak House was using an early version of E45?

Kateykrunch Thu 20-Dec-18 10:30:51

Notgoneyet.......ooooo, they do look cosy, will take a look, thanks.
Newnanny......thanks for your idea, interesting, but I’m not a faffer (no patience) lol.
Jusnoneed.....think brushed cotton (flannelette isnt it?) is the way to go, looked online but everyone is moaning about the fluff getting everywhere, its bad enough here already with sock fluff!........ooooooo there’s a subject for another thread x

notgoneyet Thu 20-Dec-18 10:20:06

I've got an electric duvet Kateykrunch. That may work for you, as you have it inside a duvet cover. You can alter the temperature from 1 to 6, and staying on for either 1 or 9 hours. I quite often leave it on a low heat all night. And I daresay if you were worried about the cream, you could put two duvet covers on it? www.ebay.co.uk/p/Dreamland-Sleepwell-Heated-Duvet-Double-Dual-Control-16329/1776336244

newnanny Thu 20-Dec-18 10:07:44

mattress

newnanny Thu 20-Dec-18 10:07:24

Could you buy a new matress topper and place a clean blanket over the topper then the electric under blanket to wrm bed for half an hour before you get in to it. Then slip off blanket and electric blanket to sleep. Trying to problem solve here but realise it is a faff.