Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Cat & dog

(36 Posts)
Nannymags27 Tue 18-Dec-18 21:26:48

We’ve got an 18 year old cat which is fit & active (for an old moggie!). Husband has always wanted a dog and I’m ok with that, too. But we’re not getting one....because we don’t want to upset the cat! Hub is 70 so it’s getting a bit “now or never”. I think the dog would do him good by getting him out of the house. It’s a bit of a dilemma. What do you think?

Audrie57 Thu 20-Dec-18 10:26:30

I think on the whole, I would agree, get a dogs home,pref a young dog, but past the puppy stage. I would also say that anmals are not v cheap to keep if something goes wrong. My son got one earlier in the year, and it cost £268 I fell off my chair, I got one years ago and it was £25, then its the lead the collar, bed blanket, food, and if sometyhing goes wrong the vet bills for injections, my son has joined one them vet groups that pay the vet bills, injections and the like, and then if you go on holiday or away , who is going to look after the dog. As much as I love my son, he knows, I couldn't look after his, it would take me for a walk, and he gets a 90 minute walk in the morning, before the d .i .l goes to work, and then my son takes him for a walk in late afternoon for around 2 hours before he goes to work, so there is that aspect. So these days, its not just the case of we will get a dog its meeting the needs of the dog to. Food and water, treats and toys. So a lot to think about, really. I have also found that when we had a cat, the dog, was wary at first, but then found the cat in the dog bed with the dog, I think they learn to get on with each other. Lots to think about, a smaller breed, might be more suitable, for yourselves, take your time in choosing, more than ones dogs home. and you are able to take them for a walk a try before you buy. Dont forget to get him microchipped that is now law, but once its in then its done, no more cost involved. I hope that you get a dog but just just take on board what the costs can be, a dog is for life, and it will be your best friend, greet you when you come home, alert you if someone hanging around, try to protect you. My dog moved into the residential home where I was a manager, and he was loved by all, so much so I made the decision to leave him there when I left. as every one loved him, he loved to be stroked, and would sit by people. So if you get one, take your time and enjoy him or her but just take on what folk are saying, who have been there, done it, and come out the other side. Good luck, please tell us all about your friend, if you decide to go a head.

glammanana Thu 20-Dec-18 11:56:55

Years ago when we fostered dogs short term (some stayed years) we where asked to monitor the dogs reaction with cats and children so they could be re -homed accordingly we never really heard of a problem when our charges went to live with a cat.
I would imagine most re-homing centres still do the same so I would go ahead and get your dog,maybe a small Jack Russell would suit your OH as they are very loyal little dogs but bare in mind they do tend to live to ripe old ages my Barney was 17 when we lost him.

Craftycat Thu 20-Dec-18 13:01:13

We had 6 cats ( not young) & inflicted 2 young dogs on them. It took about a week for them to stop spitting but a cat will always be the boss.
They finished up best of friends but cats were always in charge.
Dogs know their place!

MissAdventure Thu 20-Dec-18 13:08:21

I know someone whose dog makes their cats life an absolute misery.
The cat can't even rest or sleep indoors, and dare not ever stay off the work surface, as its the only place the dog can't reach. The poor old cat has practically moved out, looking all matted and tattered, as it seems to be sleeping rough.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 20-Dec-18 14:25:37

By now I am sure you know what your cat feels about dogs! Some detest them and will make life very difficult for you and the dog if you inflict one on them, others like dogs and after sulking for anything up to a month will start looking after a puppy, when you are not looking.

Frankly, you can't expect the cat to live very much longer, so wait and get a kitten and a puppy together once your old loved cat dies.

Pythagorus Thu 20-Dec-18 18:40:48

My dog is 12. I wouldn’t bring another dog or cat in now. He doesn’t need the stress. He would be jealous and he is fairly territorial. But we are all different. You will no doubt decide what you want to do and do it regardless of what others advise ... as we all do!

Shelagh6 Thu 20-Dec-18 23:18:02

Don’t hesitate - your other half will get some exercise and love it too. I wish I could have one.

H1954 Fri 21-Dec-18 00:17:14

Just been reading these posts with a interest and a thought occurred to me; is there anyone you know living quite local who has a dog but works in the daytime thus leaving dog home alone? Might you consider "dog sitting" , it would surely surely the owner, be company for the dog and get OH out for some excercise too.

MissAdventure Fri 21-Dec-18 00:20:25

Good point.
Your husband could volunteer at a shelter or something, or for the cinnamon trust.
He may find a lovely dog to fetch home and see how the cat takes to it. smile

agnurse Fri 21-Dec-18 01:23:14

H1954

A great idea and a good way to ease into it. Our mechanic looks after his daughter's small dog during the day. He calls it Rent-A-Dog grin