Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Was this a Gran thing, or a Welsh Gran thing?

(27 Posts)
phoenix Fri 21-Dec-18 20:15:21

Evening all, and the usual good wishes!

Mr P and I have been reflecting. (Bit of background, second marriage, been together since 2001.)

However we both had Welsh grandmothers, who were an important part in our lives.

We both remember them having the "front room" home to the china cabinet, the 3 piece suite, the anniversary clock, ,a no go zone, only used when the Welsh relatives came to visit.

How I remember those visits! Aunt Clarice would say "You know her next door? Well...." and after that it would all be in Welsh!

However, it was also used as a depository for Christmas goodies!

Matchmakers, boxes of Turkish Delight, Twiglets (when they used to be long!) Newberry Fruits, those orange and lemon slices that no one ever seemed to eat.

As children, we would peep through the door only to be told " don't touch that, it's for Christmadr! "

By Boxing Day Afternoon, it was a case of "Isn't anyone going to eat any of this?"

So, Gran thing, or a Welsh Gran thing?

PS Note for anyone concerned, this post is not intended to be sexist, ageist or racist in any way whatsoever.

So there.

ninathenana Sat 22-Dec-18 15:40:28

My West Country born grannie had a kitchen, scullery and two front rooms. The kitchen was where her and grandad spent their time watching TV, eating meals, and where we sat when visiting. The scullery leading off it was where she cooked and washed up.
The front room to one side of the hall had the "posh* three piece, cabinet etc. I don't ever remember going in there. The room on the other side of the hall I assume was a formal dining room. The door was permanently shut tchsmile