Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is it curtains for you?

(36 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Thu 03-Jan-19 00:32:45

Curtains, blinds, shutters or nets, or any combination of those.
Will it be swags and tails, pencil pleats or drapes? Velvet, slub silk, chintz or plain cotton? Blackout or thermal lined? Rufflette tape or metal holes? Weighted or not? Roman, roller or Venetian blinds? Thermal or blackout? Patterned or plain? Right or left side control wand?
Lace, plain polyester, linen or voile nets? Real or faux wood shutters?
Phew!
Do you have several sets for each room or do you have just the one set and buy new when redecorating?
My parents had two sets for each room, one for Autumn/Winter and one Spring/ Summer.
I have shutters, plain neutral roller blinds and floor-length plain white cotton voiles which billow, 'movie like' in a light breeze. Your preference?

Teetime Thu 03-Jan-19 06:50:49

Blinds and curtains....mixture of venetians and roller blinds but I would love to renew them all. Mine are from the famour company that advertise on TV I have always used them. They are pricey but never seem to wear out or age.

kittylester Thu 03-Jan-19 07:18:10

We have some velux windows in the bedroom so have blinds on those windows and also the kitchen but all the other wjndows have custom made curtains. My mum had 2 sets of curtains but I can't be bothered.

My favourite curtains, currently, are heavy gold ones in the lounge.

bikergran Thu 03-Jan-19 07:25:25

Im going to have a go at making my own Roman blinds this year, you can buy 2 diff kinds of kit the cassette ones seem the best everything included except your material.Not cheap but..I like my blinds to block out as much light as poss you dont get this with roller blinds as always a gap at the side...watch this space smile

ninathenana Thu 03-Jan-19 07:34:36

We have venetian blinds in the kitchen and bathroom and curtains else where. They are all the eyelet type.
The cotton ones in the lounge/diner are purely aesthetic as we look out onto fields as do the bedrooms but the lined ones there are always closed at night to shut out the morning sun.

Marydoll Thu 03-Jan-19 08:11:53

We have modern, thin, silver venetian blinds in every room.
We bought them from a company online. They give detailed instructions on how to measure and they were so simple to fit.

The conservatory ones were from a well known company and we needed a mortgage to buy them! grin

I also have various styles of curtains in the living room and bedrooms. I never close them, they are just decorative.

Greyduster Thu 03-Jan-19 08:16:12

Curtains with vertical blinds in the living room; curtains in our bedroom; blackout blinds with curtains in the other bedrooms and roller blinds in the conservatory. We are planning to put a vertical blind, along with new curtains, in our bedroom this year. We don’t draw the living room curtains as they cover the radiator and block out the heat.

TerriBull Thu 03-Jan-19 08:20:22

We are having new Roman blinds being made by John Lewis for our 2nd floor bedroom windows, the sunlight has faded the existing curtains in several places so I'm hoping by replacing them, during the day these new blinds will be raised pretty high so that won't happen. I've got curtains on the front of the house that don't seem to be affected in the same way on the 1st and 2nd floors, I'd really like plantation blinds, but as we are about to recarpet the house they'll have to wait. Both my ground floor kitchen and dining room and first floor lounge are on the back of the house and they face down the gardens to the Thames so we don't have blinds in the kitchen and only some sheer voile curtains in the lounge because we have great views from those windows, just beyond our back fence is a huge Horse Chestnut tree in the grounds which is ever changing with the seasons, we get our best views of the river when the branches are bare, but I love it in all it's guises.

M0nica Thu 03-Jan-19 08:20:47

Depends on the room and the decorative style. The only general rule is that I hate complicated drapes and swags. Anyway I live in a 15th century farmhouse with low ceilings and some very small windows, so drapes and swags would be inappropriate.

sodapop Thu 03-Jan-19 08:54:16

Think we are the only people in our village with curtains. French people use their shutters instead. I find it oppressive when the shutters are closed. I prefer plain eyelet type curtains and renew them when I feel like a change.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 03-Jan-19 09:00:27

Venetian blinds in the front and sides of the house and curtains at the back.

The curtains are very heavy pencil pleat on stainless steel poles all have just been replaced due to redecorating and renovations.

EllanVannin Thu 03-Jan-19 09:13:06

Nothing looks grander than a pair of William Morris " Strawberry Thief " patterned curtains. I had those when I lived in the old Victorian house. Chairs covered using William Morris material too.
French voiles too looked stunning on a large expanse of windows ( floor to ceiling ).

Now in my smaller place it's Sanderson heavy/lined curtains on the patio windows with voiles..

kittylester Thu 03-Jan-19 10:36:06

Do many of you use what used to be called ' nets'.

I don't like them, preferring a clear view of the world outside!

henetha Thu 03-Jan-19 10:44:55

Curtains mainly, plus two rooms with vertical blinds (as well as the curtains!). Roller blind in kitchen. And net curtains where needed. I'm paranoid about people not being able to look in.

MiniMoon Thu 03-Jan-19 10:47:47

Mostly curtains, but I have blinds on the velux windows in two bedrooms, and a blind on the kitchen window.

KatyK Thu 03-Jan-19 10:57:17

All blinds here. I find curtains a nuisance. Blinds can be hoovered or wiped. You can replace the strips if they get a bit tatty.

Brunette10 Thu 03-Jan-19 11:16:00

Apart form kitchen and utility room where I have roller blinds all my other rooms are made to measure eyelet curtains. So easy to close if needs be and hang beautifully. I used to have swags and tails pelmets etc and loved them but have moved forward a bit since then. They are also so easy to hang/replace if you change your curtains regularly.

FlexibleFriend Thu 03-Jan-19 11:49:18

I don't have any curtains but have a mixture of white wood venetian blinds, vertical blinds, roman blinds and white wood shutters.

grandMattie Thu 03-Jan-19 12:39:21

I have curtains; loathe blinds especially Venetian. I do have nets, but only in the "public" parts of the house as I'm not keen on them either...

Grammaretto Thu 03-Jan-19 13:54:42

Our velvet curtains were washed in the washing machine in august and they fell into shreds.
I believe they were over 100yrs old and had been red at one time.
We haven't had curtains since as I'm keen to get shutters. I had one quote but the joiner has gone quiet..
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has shutters and likes them.
Will we need curtains as well? The room can get very cold.

Joelise Thu 03-Jan-19 13:57:07

EllanVannin I do agree with you , in previous houses have had many pairs of curtains in William Morris designs , also had WM wallpapers . Can’t abide nets though ! We have roller blinds now , apart from the sitting room , and our bedroom, from Laura Ashley .

Alexa Thu 03-Jan-19 14:05:54

Window dressing is a very interesting practical and aesthetic problem. Security is an increasing consideration. Privacy is another. The feeling of security that normal domestic inside shutters give is worth considering perhaps especially for those terraced houses with front doors that open directly on to the street, although at present they are quite expensive.
How to clean, wash and keep clean window dressings depends upon which room . For instance a window directly above the kitchen sink I think needs accessible and easily washed curtains .

Lynne59 Thu 03-Jan-19 14:56:47

I've got vertical blinds in the lounge, with curtains too (they are always kept open, so they're just for show I suppose).

Dining room, kitchen, spare bedroom(computer room) and landing all have Venetian blinds. The 2 bedrooms have got curtains with black-out linings. There's a roller blind in the kitchen.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 03-Jan-19 15:38:19

With exception to the frosted glass windows in the downstairs toilet and utility room I have timber venetians for windows in the rest of my house.
These can be pulled up to window frame height if I want to fully open the windows, be in control of how much to open and close depending on time of day if you want extra light, shut out strong sunlight or need a bit of privacy and can be adjusted so I can see out but no one can see in. I have a window cleaner so I would not want to be 'on view' to any one peering through the windows These blinds add to warmth in winter keep rooms cool in summer !!! and the only attention they need is a special piece of equipment designed to clean the slats with out trapping your fingers. The best part is liberation from the laundering or dry cleaning needed for textiles .

Twin2 Thu 03-Jan-19 19:28:17

Following long discussion with OH - I wanted floor length curtains in lounge to match curtains at French doors. As radiator under front window OH said would loose too much heat - Compromise roller blind and floor length mock curtains !!