Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Does this sound like alzheimers/dementia

(34 Posts)
Granny23 Tue 08-Jan-19 23:45:36

Sadly these are exactly the signs that I noticed in DH long before he got an official diagnosis.

MissAdventure Tue 08-Jan-19 23:42:31

I heard something the other day about loss of cognitive skills.
The doctor was saying that everyone forgets keys, and so on - its when people forget how to bake a cake, or do something else that they've always done that needs to be monitored.

Elderly people with dementia often put on too many clothes, or put them on in the wrong order.

Granny23 Tue 08-Jan-19 23:40:49

I am very sorry to hear that you have this worry. There are many types of Dementia and one in particular, Frontal Temporal Dementia, is characterised by early onset and also has a tendency to run in families. The Best source of good information is the Alzheimers Society's Website and their on-line Talking Point Forum.

mrsnonsmoker Tue 08-Jan-19 23:39:04

Thank you all so far. When I read about dementia etc the symptoms are meant to be far worse; I wondered if anyone living with a partner with dementia had noticed these small changes first or maybe they are not the "right" sort of changes to be barking up that particular tree!

MissAdventure Tue 08-Jan-19 23:36:10

It does sound like he needs a check up though.

Bellanonna Tue 08-Jan-19 23:36:01

Welcome to Gransnet Mrsnonsmoker. At least I think a welcome is appropriate as I haven’t come across your name before.
I don’t have any practical advice for you but I’m sure others will have. I must say, what you describe does sound rather odd if these traits of your husband’s are new ones. I hope you get some helpful replies.

MissAdventure Tue 08-Jan-19 23:33:33

Could it be his hearing?
I'm only saying that because people who are a 'bit deaf' often get quite defensive about it. blush

My mum often seemed like a sweet little confused lady, answering questions wrong, agreeing to things she never would have.
The point being that she was very deaf, but wouldn't admit it.

BradfordLass72 Tue 08-Jan-19 23:32:25

I was told a while ago, when caring for a friend, that only a professional can diagnose dementia (which is not always due to Alzheimers and can come on as early as mid-thirties) so I'd advise you to see your doctor.

mrsnonsmoker Tue 08-Jan-19 23:28:36

My husband is 62 retired 2 years ago. I suppose his "confusion" has crept up but it doesn't sound like classic alzheimers etc so dont know what to do. He is unable to plan or anticipate and if anything is not as it normally is, he gets very angry. So for example, if we are going on a journey he finds it impossible to look at a map or set the sat nav, or decide what might make planning easier. We are both very experienced drivers in a highly built up city area so if there's a traffic hold up I can say ok shall we go way x y or z and he just goes to pieces, he can't decide and then blames me.

He was meant to measure out of a dose of medicine for my daughter who is too unwell to measure her own, he was trying to give her 4 times the prescribed dose and his justification was that solids and liquid measurement - so milligrammes and millilitres - are completely interchangeable so you can give 10 milligrammes or 10 millilitres and it doesn't matter shock

Then yesterday we were listening to some music and it had a jazz trumpet playing over it, totally incongruent think baroque hymns with jazz trumpet and I mentioned it was unusual; he said "don't be stupid its a hand bell!!" and was really nasty miming ringing a hand bell in my face.

I could give dozens of examples like this; he can't do any planning at all, what do they call it, loss of executive function? He will often mishear or misunderstand and then cause all sorts of problems because he refuses to admit he is wrong.

Surely this sort of issue shouldn't come up early 60s? His father had dementia at this age but even so I didn't think that automatically meant he'd go the same way?