Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you agree social care is ageist?

(6 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 10-Jan-19 17:56:00

* A care system that relies on young carers is not fit for purpose.* Indeed so.

M0nica Thu 10-Jan-19 15:02:59

younger people were more likely to want volunteers to help plug the gap in social care provision.

Why did no one ask these young people where these volunteers were to come from and would they volunteer to provide extra care.

Niobe Thu 10-Jan-19 11:23:40

We new several people whose attitude as ' I might not live to pension age so might as well enjoy the money now' . Unfortunately (? ) they did live to pension age and are suffering the consequences now. When you are young pensions seem so far away but time seems to accelerate as we get older.
Various governments have used pension pots as cash cows and this further discourages people from investing for their old age.

Nonnie Thu 10-Jan-19 10:47:05

When I was working the young people we employed wouldn't join the pension fund because they didn't want to think about the future. I was told that, because of the company contribution and the tax allowance it was equivalent to an extra 15% of salary but they didn't want to know. These were intelligent university graduates from all over Europe.

I think there are people who don't want to prepare for their old age, I know one who sold their pension at 55 so that the state could look after them. They felt that the extra pension wasn't worth having so took the money as soon as they could.

I don't have any answers, just observations. I am glad we went without and saved for our old age.

Anja Thu 10-Jan-19 10:23:49

This situation should never been allowed to reach crisis level. Successive governments have simply buried their heads in the sand. They knew what the population would be by the 21st century and plans should have been in place.

I suspect most of ‘our generation’ did not realise that their old age would not be funded. We thought that NI etc would be sufficient and besides when you are young you often don’t think ahead to getting old.

Had we realised I’m sure that those who could afford it would have accepted some kind of tax being put in place to cover this even if it did mean paying extra.

We find ourselves in this position entirely due to lack of forward planning by government- all of them. It’s possibly too late now to extract extra money from us except for the super wealthy few, who can probably fund their own care.

I don’t blame the younger generation for feeling bitter but they must not blame us either. I feel they do though because of this government’s mismanaging and cutting of social care budgets, so throwing the problem back onto an underfunded NHS. People are therefore fed the idea that old folks are bed-blocking nuisances.

The media are happy to take up that cry and further fuel this fire.

No solution to the current problem I’m sorry, but something needs to be put in place for future generations.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 10-Jan-19 09:43:31

As per this article out today: www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/10/social-care-ageist-nhs-plan-not-fix-generational-divide
And what can be done to resolve this generational divide? General thoughts on this issue?