Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dyslexia

(27 Posts)
kathsue Thu 10-Jan-19 17:20:27

I've thought for a long time that my DGS might be slightly dyslexic. I did talk to his school about it but they kept fobbing me off.
Now he is at a local college and his tutor said he had some dyslexic tendencies and would he take a test. I thought That's great. Now he'll get some help.
They did a test today and the result was that his marks were at a high enough level that he's not eligible for extra help, a scribe or extra time BUT she said his spelling definitely shows dyslexic traits. They won't do the full dyslexic test because it costs around £300.
My problem is what to do next. Do I get him tested privately or just let it go?
Does anyone have any experience or advice please.

Coolgran65 Mon 14-Jan-19 16:10:36

My dd was diagnosed dyslexic when at uni.

Turned out there was a reason why when at school/6 form why her English was so poor but it wasn't picked up because apart from that she was an A student. This actually should have been a red flag, that there was such a disparity.
At uni after the first year, she approached the department that dealt with student welface and they arranged a test. She knew herself that there was a problem. The written work was getting Cs. Uni organized it and there was a very obvious positive result. She also was provided with her own computer so as not to have to queue in the libraries. (This was many years ago). Was also given a time allowance for exams.

At 6th Form she had been getting marks in the 90s but just not for English. And a couple of times had marks of 100% for the science subjects. This was without any allowance for the undiagnosed dyslexia.

At uni she slightly changed her course and because of the timing had to actually repeat a year but she felt it was worth it to be able to do a course that required less of the written essay work.

Uni was very supportive and also arranged attendance at a weekly half day course for academics who had such difficulties. This course taught ways to cope with dyslexia, tricks of the trade.... a different way to learn certain aspects.
And none of this cost her a penny.