Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What can I call my cafe?

(120 Posts)
pensionpat Thu 17-Jan-19 00:05:38

For a few years I have raised funds for our local First Responders. I have a friend who raises funds for Alzheimer’s. This year we are joining forces and taking over the run-down cafe in our indoor market. Is hasn’t been open for a few months and we shall transform the current grubby greasy spoon into a pretty tea room. We shall bake our cakes on the premises. And profits will be shared equally between our 2charities.

We are stuck about the name. I suggested 50-50, representing the share between both charities, but there is a local firm using that name. My friend has suggested Forget-me-not. This is a witty, appropriate name if the tea room were for Alzheimer’s solely. So we shall be having a frank discussion about that.

I don’t feel fully equipped to argue my case without an alternative name, so I appeal to Gransnet members to help me out.

I don’t want the word cafe in the title. This smacks of the poor reputation of the previous cafe.

All suggestions gladly received. Thank you.

Mamar2 Sat 19-Jan-19 01:07:30

I suspect it will always be the Market Caf'. A good oportunity for you to turn things around. I think you need to imagine people saying the name....'I'll meet you at the Market Caf' or 'I'll meet you at 'Tea for Two's. Mmm...see what I mean? Wishing you all the best.

Florabunda60 Sat 19-Jan-19 02:26:30

I would press to include the word "First" in the name. That would reflect First Responders and also at the same time allude to quality; can't get better than first prize - see my line of thinking?!
Very good luck with your project! Don't forget environmental hygiene regulations when re-doing the kitchen facilities though. Am rather envious of you and the project!

pollynana Sat 19-Jan-19 17:21:35

Just what I thought Florabunda 60 that’s why I thought of First Stop or another one could be First Cup. Great minds eh?

Nonnatimesfour Sat 19-Jan-19 19:41:42

I too like the suggestions of "Tea For Two" and "Sweet Charity". Good luck with your project, what a lovely gesture.

elfies Sat 19-Jan-19 19:48:17

Simply sweet

pensionpat Sat 19-Jan-19 23:39:30

Well Ruth and I have had our discussion. She accepted my reasons against Forget-me -not. I suggested Tea for Two and we finally agreed on Time For Tea. Quite painless. My DIL has donated a cream teapot with the words Time For Tea”. That will be placed prominently. Thank you again for your ideas and your interest. We are waiting for the outcome of a grant application. I shall give you all an update. Exciting times ahead!

paddyann Sat 19-Jan-19 23:51:38

Enjoy and good luck with your venture.Hope its a great success .

Eloethan Sat 19-Jan-19 23:53:33

Time for Tea - good choice I think.

Out of the other suggestions I like
Cuppa Char

I would have suggested Tea's Maid

BradfordLass72 Sun 20-Jan-19 00:30:18

What a lovely name! Well done and all the best with this amazing venture. flowers

Elrel Sun 20-Jan-19 01:13:11

Time for Tea - I like it, wishing your venture well!

NannyEm Sun 20-Jan-19 05:24:43

I love "Sweet Charity". It's very clever, sounds friendly and classy, and gets the message across. .

NotAGran55 Sun 20-Jan-19 07:48:32

A great choice of name ! Wishing you all the best with your venture. PLEASE keep us posted on the progress.

Auntieflo Sun 20-Jan-19 08:41:08

Pensionpat, so glad you have decided on a name, now the hard work begins. smile
Well done and congratulations .
Happy days

FarNorth Sun 20-Jan-19 16:33:55

Time for Tea - Great name!
All the best with getting it underway. brew cupcake

JUSTGEE Mon 21-Jan-19 16:17:41

I like previous mentioned
Give and Cake, that is cute and fun, and to the point.
Just my opinion.
I love your concept 100% too.

nanny2507 Mon 21-Jan-19 16:23:10

if you are going to allow women to breastfeed in your cafe you can call it "baps out" lol

Happiyogi Mon 21-Jan-19 18:06:01

Not wishing to be negative, but mightn't Tea for Two risk saddening customers who no longer have a friend or 'other half' to take tea with?

The Cake Place?

Nandalot Mon 21-Jan-19 18:13:01

Good luck with your venture.

Happiyogi Mon 21-Jan-19 19:49:00

I'm raising a cup to Time for Tea! Sounds perfect. Good luck with the venture.