Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Are you a shopper?

(71 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 19-Jan-19 14:58:21

I spent the morning at Westfield Shopping Mall, Shepherd's Bush, and now I need either a lie down or a glass of wine!

I hate bloody shopping but sometimes ya just have to have a bit of a blitz. All under one roof what could be better?

First mistake, getting on the flippin' bus - I could have walked there in about 45 minutes but the bus arrived so I hopped on - big mistake. I'd lost the will to live by the time I got there.

And then the sheer size of the place! It's not bad as far as these things go - they have nice eateries, which is how I usually judge an experience. smile

After I'd strode past Gucci, Versace and Louis whotsit to the cheaper places I wished I'd stayed at home - ended up with just another pair of Skechers and odds and ends from Boots! I could have got those 10 minutes from home.

I'm not a shopper grin

BlueSapphire Sun 20-Jan-19 10:12:43

I am definitely a shopper, I just love a good mooch around the shops, but having lost first BHS and then our M&S, there is not much to mooch around any more. So I tend to get on the bus and go to the nearest town with a big shopping mall and make a day of it, treating myself to lunch out.

sodapop Sun 20-Jan-19 10:24:49

I dislike big shopping malls, like MOnica I always find them overheated and unpleasant. I do like towns with independent shops although they are more expensive.
Here in France shopping as we know it is not possible apart from in big cities. There are very few shops in small towns and one rarely meets people out shopping apart from the Supermarket.

PECS Sun 20-Jan-19 10:39:49

I attempted to shop yesterday in town. I lasted about 10 minutes before pain mafe me give up. I did manage some birthday gifts for a friend and for my Sis in L smile so not all bad!

henetha Sun 20-Jan-19 10:42:02

I have grocery home delivery now because I find it difficult to carry much. But I enjoy an occasional mooch around clothes shops and department stores. I go to Exeter about once a month to fossick around the big shops there but as soon as my back starts playing up I either go home or go to the cinema, depending on what films are on.

Izabella Sun 20-Jan-19 11:34:08

It is totally beyond my comprehension why anyone would like shopping. I shop when I need something - food, shoes etc. The only other times I go near to town are for prescriptions or the PO.

Izabella Sun 20-Jan-19 11:34:20

or the library.

Missfoodlove Sun 20-Jan-19 11:45:34

I had a fabulous mooch around Hampstead yesterday, I love to wander when I don’t have to make a purchase nowhere near as much pleasure ifvI have a list

trisher Sun 20-Jan-19 11:58:04

I hate shopping malls, they are a version of hell somehow imported to the UK. I don't understand how anyone could possibly spend a day in one without having some sort of break down. All that stuff and all those shops selling all that tat, and not a breath of fresh air anywhere.
I don't like shopping in general. I like bookshops and charity shops but all the others could close and I wouldn't miss them. I am grateful for Asda where you can pick up the clothes you need along with your groceries and I recently found out that my local Morrisons do clothes as well now, so I might explore that. But shopping in general is pants!!

Teetime Sun 20-Jan-19 12:04:01

I do like shopping and prefer an undercover mall BUT they dont seem to have many shops that I shop in. I go to Birmingham or Cambridge about once every couple of months and have a nice lunch while I am there which takes up most of the time. I think I mainly shop on line. Although I try to buy local again we dont have any clothes shops that I like in this small town.

RosieLeah Sun 20-Jan-19 12:12:43

I thought I was unusual in disliking large shopping centres so it's reassuring that so many of you feel the same. One reason why I won't buy clothes from large shops is because I know that anything you buy is likely to have been tried on by at least one other person. I much prefer a street of small, individual shops but there are very few town centres like that any more.

NanTheWiser Sun 20-Jan-19 12:55:03

PECS and Terribull, I actually worked in Bentalls after leaving school. I was a lowly department junior, and did all the packing for our branches in Ealing, and Peterlee. Great fun at times, spotting the celebs of the day (back in the early sixties), and the Bentall family themselves, when they deigned to waft through the departments. I spent two years there, until finding an office job.
I still have a mooch every Friday, either Kingston or Sutton, but it seems a thankless task these days, as I find nothing to buy. A shame there are no nearby places that have nice independent shops round here.
The high street is surely going to the dogs...

MissAdventure Sun 20-Jan-19 12:57:43

I can't stand shopping centres either.
I find it really unsettling; the lighting, the muzak, all of it.
It makes me feel slightly queasy.

Katyj Sun 20-Jan-19 17:06:15

No I don't like it much.We live 10 minutes away from a major city, we went once last year, we've also got 2 big shopping malls 30 minute drive away, we went in November, we'd only been there about 30 minutes, when a fight broke out, and I came over peculiar and wanted to come home.Think hubby had a lucky escape he didn't seem to mind coming home smile

Telly Sun 20-Jan-19 18:11:10

I don't really enjoy shopping. Have been to Westfield a few times. First time took GC there they wanted to know was why the policemen were carrying machine guns! It was after a terrorist incident and there was a high visible presence at that time. Not a great start.

TerriBull Sun 20-Jan-19 19:00:54

PECS I did indeed go to "Benttools" when it was just a shop long before it became the Bentalls Centre, my friends and I, aged 12 or 13 discovered Kingston from our rather boring town a few miles away it was a utopia to us. Bentalls actually had some sort of soda fountain place that served Knickerbocker Glories if I remember rightly but it underwent an earlier transformation before it became the actual Bentalls Centre. We used to go into the hat department and try on all manner of floppy hats, well it was the 60's.

NantheWiser we also went to Sutton at times but it didn't quite cut it quite the way Kingston did. Unfortunately the only c'leb we ever saw in Kingston was Bob from "On The Buses" we were distinctly underwhelmed, sad not in Bentalls though but Chelsea Girl, remember that? it was on the high street and also a Saturday shopping mecca for us. Later on we discovered Biba in London and then Chelsea Girl paled into insignificance grin

BradfordLass72 Sun 20-Jan-19 19:25:07

Riverwalk your post made me laugh; you have such a wonderful turn of phrase!

I'm not a shopper and never have been, the concept of, 'retail therapy' is totally beyond me. I just cannot imagine anything remotely therapeutic about shopping.

I bless the day one of our supermarkets decided to offer an online facility.
I can make a shopping list of essentials over a week or 10 days, submit it and have them pack it into bags, then I am taken to the supermarket to pick it up at a date and time I specify. Wonderful - everyone else has done the hard work ! smile
On the rare occasion I need clothing, I get underwear from the $2 shop in the High Street and so far it's lasted much longer than the more expensive stuff I've bought elsewhere.

The only other shop I visit in is the greengrocers where I can choose fresh fruit and vegies.

lemongrove Sun 20-Jan-19 19:27:31

BradfordLass....am guessing you are not in Bradford then!

Purpledaffodil Sun 20-Jan-19 19:31:06

Ooh PECS, Terribull and Nanthewiser. Another Bentalls shopper here! DH also worked there in the late 60s when waiting to start teaching. He reckoned there were lots of elements of Are you being served? there. They used to have semi royal inspections by Mr Rowan ( Bentall) ?
Must admit I still like a mooch around the shops in Kingston. In fact am meeting another GN friend for a mooch and coffee next week?

lemongrove Sun 20-Jan-19 19:31:14

I used to enjoy shopping trips with DD’s or friends, and although I still do now and again, find it boring and tiring after an hour.
My ideal is having a meal out together, or tea and cake, then a short browse around the shops.
I prefer to try clothes on rather than order online though.

Purpledaffodil Sun 20-Jan-19 19:33:49

And I did spot a real celeb once in Kingston ....Twinkle! Think “Terry”! ?

NanTheWiser Sun 20-Jan-19 22:05:07

Ooh, quite a few Bentalls fans! Yes, it was a bit "Are you being served", at times.

I remember serving Doreen Keogh, who played Concepta Riley in Coronation Street - she bought a nice tartan skirt, which she was going to wear while doing a summer season somewhere. We also had the famous Mills family - John, his wife Mary and daughters Hayley and Juliet, browsing. I was really struck by the yellow (bleached) hair of Hayley.

There were also a couple of quite well-known cross-dressers, which was a bit awkward if they were trying on in the fitting rooms and needed assistance!

I sometimes managed to sneak off to the new coffee bar on the ground floor when my boyfriend visited on a Saturday afternoon at tea break, which was against the rules.

And there was the time we had a Scottish Week, when a diminutive bag-piper from the Black Watch paraded through the store, followed by fascinated shoppers, he was lovely, as was a very shy guy from Pringle who demonstrated making a sweater on a knitting machine.
Those were the days...

PECS Sun 20-Jan-19 22:09:18

purple Twinkle went to my school....

paddyann Mon 21-Jan-19 01:47:31

I like shopping but only for books ,cd's and nice wine .Its what I prefer to spend my money on,my OH however loves shopping and regualrly trails me round clothes shops and coerces me into buying clothes I neither need nor want,He doesn't do it our of badness ,he just likes buying me clothes .Sadly I take a lot of them back as he still thinks I'm 20 instead of 65 and I wouldn't feel comfortable outside the house in some of the things he tells me I'd look amazing in.
I like buying things for my AC and GC though even clothes and I love topping up my present cupboard all year round with things I know they'll like .I buy a lot online

KatyK Mon 21-Jan-19 11:08:20

I don't mind food shopping but I hate clothes shopping. I always come home in a bad mood! DH says I'm the only woman he knows who doesn't like buying clothes. I used to love it when I was young and slim but now I hate it. Nothing looks right and I have lost the plot in knowing what suits me.

trisher Mon 21-Jan-19 11:35:21

I shopped in Bentalls a couple of times with my late MIL when they lived in the south. That was a lifetime ago. Do you suppose everyone has visted the shop at some point?