Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

offering to help with a credit card bill

(104 Posts)
Nannarose Tue 22-Jan-19 08:10:48

I would like your opinions. At my son's yesterday, looking at some paperwork he had asked my opinion on, I saw, inadvertently, some notes he had made for his wife about their finances. They are paying off a £5k credit card bill.
I am in a position to offer to pay this off, and then they could pay me back. They know this (discussion about my finances last year) so must have decided not to approach me.
Between them they have a full-time well paid job and a part-time medium paid job. I know of no reason for them to be in this sort of debt. They are not extravagant, but I have had the impression over some years that my DiL is not a good manager of money.
I suspect they haven't come to me, because they know that I have always cut my coat according to my cloth, and saved, which is why I was able to give them a house deposit and have some savings of my own now. They would know my main feeling is disappointment.

The only way I can think of offering is to admit that I saw the paper. I could say, truthfully, 'oh, I didn't read it, but as I picked it up from the floor, I saw reference to a credit card debt, you know I would like to help with that'. But I do know it would embarrass them - and possibly cause an upset as I think that was rather daffy DiL who left it lying around.

So do, I do that, and save them the cost of servicing the debt, or do I keep quiet?

50ShadesofGreyMatter Wed 23-Jan-19 03:59:02

Further to my previous post, you say you have already gifted them a house deposit, I think you could actually hinder their growing up if you step in here.

JacquiG Wed 23-Jan-19 15:10:07

Keep quiet.
5k is not an awful lot of money these days if on a good salary. (Are they). And it could well be pride like it is with my daughter. Perhaps be a little more generous with birthday gifts and adhoc presents of money during the next few months, if it can be afforded.
Keep an eye out for struggling, and lots of good ideas above about 0% cards.

Blinko Wed 23-Jan-19 15:14:13

Basically, I'd say it's not your problem and they seem perfectly capable of dealing with it.