Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice on buying a riser recliner chair

(28 Posts)
GrandmaKT Mon 28-Jan-19 23:37:35

My father is approaching 90 and has various health issues. He has been told by the community nurse who visits to dress a wound on his leg, that he should really get a recliner chair. As he has difficulty standing it would have to be an electric riser-recliner.
As he has no funds himself, we, probably along with other family members, will need to buy this for him, so I have started looking.
Does anyone have any advice? I have seen reference to single motor and dual motor - what is the difference? He lives 150 miles away from us and is really not very mobile, so it would be difficult to take him out to try different models, but I am reticent to buy without him trying.
I thought someone on here may be able to advise?

jinda23 Sun 23-Oct-22 14:38:21

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

jinda23 Sun 23-Oct-22 14:37:11

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Franbern Sat 13-Mar-21 15:09:28

I have an electric recliner, with matching sofa. However, recently have had some problems standing up, so am looking into a recliner/riser, although will keep my existing chair for guests.

I paid quite a lot for this recliner in Dfs, happy with it except for the time, when I was in real problems as I had a stress fracture in my spine, asked my daughter to plug in my electric heating pad, and - only after she had left realised she had unplugged my chair and I was stuck with my legs up!!

so, yes, battery back up this time please. Also, want a dual battery one, so I can have legs up without the back being reclibned, etc. I have been slowly looking at adverts, but have found it difficult to find companies that will come to me with fabric samples and for them to take my measurements, so will wait until lockdown ends completely so I can get to some of the stores that stock these.

I need fabric that will tone in with my existing chair and sofa, have set aside the sum of a grand and will not go above that. I get annoyed with those adverts that offer 'two for the price of one', I only want one, - bet they do not give me 50% off because of that. I note a number also offer 'part exchange', but not sure if this means for a similar chair or will take a non-electric rocker chair as that part-exchange.

Will l et you know how i get on, although I think it will be several months for me to get this sorted.

grandson Fri 12-Mar-21 12:54:39

Sadgrandma

Please be very careful. My late sister contacted a company from an advert in a newspaper. The man came round and did the old trick of saying jt was a special offer but she had to sign up today! She ended up paying something like £3,800 (ten years ago). I knew nothing about it until after she died about three months later and I saw the invoice. Unfortunely, nobody wanted to buy it and even care homes wouldn't take it for free. Sadly, I think my nephew ended up taking it to the tip. I agree with other posts, ask Adult Social Services to do an assessment (although that might be a problem at present) and they may provide one. If nothing else they will be able to provide the name of a reputable supplier.

Now is not the time, when you could be easily deceived. At least because there are verified providers (like Amazon, Walmart, and others), and indeed, as you said Adult Social Services.
I was recently choosing a recliner for my mom and found this site www.reclinerland.com/best-stressless-recliners-alternatives/. There is a small selection on it, but they are kind of top recliners according to reviews.
And I hope someone else will need it because I see that they haven't come here for a long time.

Sadgrandma Sat 10-Oct-20 19:00:37

Please be very careful. My late sister contacted a company from an advert in a newspaper. The man came round and did the old trick of saying jt was a special offer but she had to sign up today! She ended up paying something like £3,800 (ten years ago). I knew nothing about it until after she died about three months later and I saw the invoice. Unfortunely, nobody wanted to buy it and even care homes wouldn't take it for free. Sadly, I think my nephew ended up taking it to the tip. I agree with other posts, ask Adult Social Services to do an assessment (although that might be a problem at present) and they may provide one. If nothing else they will be able to provide the name of a reputable supplier.

whogoesthere Fri 09-Oct-20 12:24:03

We have one from HSL, they came home with samples and the chair was than custom made to fit mum for her weight and height, it was not cheap-cost about £4000.00, you may get help form the OT department as we recently got a hospital bed from them.

Redtop1 Wed 07-Oct-20 22:24:37

Sherborne Recliners have a very big range of Lift & Rise Recliners, different seat sizes (to accommodate people of different heights & widths and lots of choice of material. They have battery back up in case of power cuts. Controls are 5 illuminated buttons. Have a look online www.sherborneupholstery.co.uk

Puzzled Wed 07-Oct-20 20:20:26

We have not got riser chairs.
A LONG time ago we bought two Ekornes Ufferts Stressless chairs. They are so good that they have been recovered three times, with tweed, so that will tell how old they are.
They were, and are, expensive but SO comfortable. It is easier to fall asleep in them than in bed! Which is why we do not always see all of a TV programme!

336jreggae Fri 02-Oct-20 16:01:50

For those who aren't as mobile or independent, some companies do offer home appointments.

You can also, in some cases, buy the chair online. But not everywhere offers this.

One place I'd recommend is Recliner Chairs and Beds , which is local to me in Long Eaton, but does offer their chairs online and offer home appointments across the UK. There's others as well, so just look around for the best price, but also take into account that you want to avoid any cowboys!

NanaandGrampy Tue 29-Jan-19 21:12:31

RICA has rebranded as RIDC Miepl

Elrel Tue 29-Jan-19 20:07:25

Recliners often appear on Freegle and Freecycle sites. A friend got one in excellent condition from a charity shop for £75.

MrsJamJam Tue 29-Jan-19 19:55:15

My Ma is 91 with Parkinson's. We went to the local mobility shop where she could try various sizes to find one that was comfortable for her - size can vary a lot. Dual motors offer more options but on trying them we found she couldn't get her head around the various permutations so went for the single motor for just up/down. It frustrates me that she muddles about with the controls, but she is happy and I just have to get used to the fact that she simply can't hoist in new information.

Miep1 Tue 29-Jan-19 17:05:44

Also check out an organisation called RICA, they have loads of information. I know this because I worked for them on that particular project!

NanaandGrampy Tue 29-Jan-19 15:38:42

This organisation do independent mystery shops on mobility shops to ensure you aren’t pressured into anything .

www.ridc.org.uk

I know because I do some of these for them . Many of these companies have various models for you to try and some will bring them to your dads home to test out .

Granny23 Tue 29-Jan-19 15:18:34

We have been looking for a riser chair for DH who has Dementia and one useless arm. Everything seems VERY expensive but the real difficulty is the controls, far too complicated for him to operate which would leave him stuck in the chair until I came to let him out.

Finally, we have decided to have our old (It was bought for MIL and then used by my DM and now by DH) Parker Knoll Riser chair refurbished & Reupholstered - much cheaper and will be familiar for DH to operate himself - just one simple mechanical lever to press. and no problem if the power goes off, no battery to run out.

trisher Tue 29-Jan-19 12:33:54

Check first of all if there is a mobility assistance charity in your area. We took my mum to try out chirs to our local centre. The girl was very helpful. Mum tried a lot of chairs and chose the one she liked best. They delivered free of charge and set it up. If your father is disabled (and it sounds as if he is) you shouldn't pay VAT on aids for him and that includes a chair www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-relief-on-certain-goods-if-you-have-a-disability

Nelliemoser Tue 29-Jan-19 12:17:50

I would automatically be very concerned to avoid high pressure salesmen. Take a sensible and wary friend with you if you can.
Which can be difficult to arrange if you don't have anyone nearby.

Charleygirl5 Tue 29-Jan-19 11:33:51

I bought a 3 piece suite at DFS 2-3 years ago and one chai is a riser/recliner and cost me very little extra.

I agree with Dragonfly my aunt was in a similar position and was hassled and harassed until she bought a chair from a fellow who would not leave her flat. My aunt was in her late 80's at the time. Luckily she was extremely slim because this chair was very slender- I could not fit in it comfortably. It cost a fortune.

GrandmaKT Tue 29-Jan-19 11:21:42

Thanks for the help everyone!
I've just been having a chat with a lovely lady from a mobility shop local to him. They have a wide range of chairs, so I will take him to try them out next time I visit. I was initially thinking of a secondhand one, but am already coming around to thinking that we would be better stretching ourselves to get new if we can. I didn't know he could be assessed for one aggie, thanks for that, I will check it out.

aggie Tue 29-Jan-19 07:51:16

The District Nurse should ask the Occupational Therapist to assess your Uncle for a chair . Recliners are all very expensive and not all that comfortable if not the right size

dragonfly46 Tue 29-Jan-19 07:42:53

I would look in the mobility shops. Whatever you do don’t ask someone to come into the home. They are pressure salesmen and the chairs very expensive. There is a company beginning with W which my father found very intimidating. In the mobility shop they were readily available and came in different sizes. They were also a lot cheaper.

Davidhs Tue 29-Jan-19 07:22:19

You probably won’t find the perfect recliner chair and will end up using cushions or pillows to get proper comfort.
Cost wise look at eBay there are lots at less than £100 but as you are 150 miles away it’s very difficult to do anything unless you allow a weekend to get it all set up.
Beware recliner chairs are very heavy you need 2 strong men to move them!

cornergran Tue 29-Jan-19 06:14:47

We helped a friend buy one after a serious accident. Fortunately there was a shop half an hour from her home that carried a wide range in three different sizes/heights from the floor so we drove her there with a wheelchair in the boot. It seems important the size is right for the person using it. She finds her chair supremely comfortable, it wouldn’t suit me or Mr C as we are much taller. Two motors seemed the best option, fabric covering seemed cosier. The shop delivered to the room, set up the chair and made sure the operating instructions were understood. The chair has made our friends life much more comfortable, well worth doing, I hope you can work something out for your father.

callgirl1 Tue 29-Jan-19 00:56:09

PS, I fporgot to mention that it`s wise to have a chair with battery back up, in case of power cuts. Some riser recliners come with a massage system built in, but they are quite a bit more money.

FountainPen Mon 28-Jan-19 23:55:16

I can't offer any first hand experience but Primacare seem to offer a huge range of chairs for differing needs. Maybe a local mobility agent would bring chairs to him to try. I'd give Primacare a call. www.primacare.co.uk/