Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Any ideas for a gift for newborn who will have everything?

(88 Posts)
Glosgran Sun 03-Feb-19 20:31:59

My friend's son and his wife are expecting a first baby in next couple of weeks. I would like to get them a gift to the value of approx £20 - £30. They haven't wanted to find out if it's a boy or girl. His sister has passed on all her baby equipment and her Mum and sisters have already been on a spending spree for the baby. Any ideas on what to get a baby who will have everything?

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Feb-19 14:48:20

Child not cild!

marionk Mon 04-Feb-19 14:50:55

Make a nappy cake! They are great fun to make (plenty of tutorials on YouTube), are very practical and look spectacular. You can add gender specific ribbon once the baby is born or go for a neutral colour of corse

LizH13 Mon 04-Feb-19 15:14:14

Check out this lady on Etsy. She does beautiful birth/christening embroidered keepsakes. Also does amazing things with children's own drawings. Can't wait until my grandson can produce something we can have. She is based in Stockport but is on Etsy and Facebook. I'd highly recommend her.
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/SewUniqueArtwork?ref=shop_sugg&order=price_asc

nettyandmasey Mon 04-Feb-19 15:17:44

I would go with Sophie the Giraffe or Ewan the dream sheep. Another suggestion is a nightlight

GabriellaG54 Mon 04-Feb-19 15:35:14

I can't imagine anyone buying for a 'friend's son's child'.

Menopaws Mon 04-Feb-19 15:39:39

The day my granddaughter was born I took a photo of the sunrise, which luckily was beautiful, and had it put onto canvas with the words.... the first sunrise of your life...name... it went down very well and really meant something to them and hopefully her in the future

annie1948 Mon 04-Feb-19 16:09:06

Glosgran could you knit a small blanket in soft rainbow colours not to big ,size of a pillowcase,
Very useful and very personal

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Feb-19 16:09:27

Why not Gabriella confused?

Annaram1 Mon 04-Feb-19 16:17:53

I made all four of my grandkids pretty little white duvet covers with the alphabet on, all hand embroidered. Each letter had an animal or little person draped around or on it.
They were all embroidered differently, for instance the letters were blue or pink or yellow or green. They were all so beautiful and I don't know what happened to them in the end.
I made a little ruffle around the sides and trimmed it with a satin ribbon to match the main colour of the letters. I estimate several hundred hours of work went into each.

Toots Mon 04-Feb-19 17:17:24

Fisher Price seahorse... it has a soft light on its tummy and plays lovely soft soothing music with a background of sounds of the sea which made it very special...all the babies I have bought it for absolutely loved it, and parents said it was wonderful at soothing them to sleep.. our own Grandaughter only stopped using hers a couple of years ago when she was 7..and it still makes an appearance now and again. Not sure if you can still get it..maybe online. I think there are similar toys out there but maybe not with such lovely soothing sea sounds. Good luck whatever you choose.
Just an added thought.. when our children were born years ago my parents bought us a good supply of disposable nappies...not very exciting but oh so useful and we were so grateful because it saved us quite a bit of money.?

annodomini Mon 04-Feb-19 17:18:56

A colourful book of nursery rhymes would be my choice. Alternatively, a beautifully illustrated edition of Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses' would, I think, still appeal to a child of the 21st Century.

GabriellaG54 Mon 04-Feb-19 17:23:56

annodomini
I have the original version of that book gifted to me by a friend on my 5th birthday.

Toots Mon 04-Feb-19 17:24:49

Glosgran.. this is the seahorses.. sorry link was broken, but available at Argos. ?

quizqueen Mon 04-Feb-19 17:50:39

I have seen disposable nappies made into presentation packs in shapes like a swan, teddy etc. You can never have too many nappies but don't get the first size.

chrissyh Mon 04-Feb-19 17:56:35

Intrigued by Ewan the Dream Sheep suggested by Beau, I googled it. There were a few sites but I looked on YouTube. Shows what it's about and how it works. If it works it looks great.

JaneJANE60 Mon 04-Feb-19 19:42:23

There is a lovely book entitled ‘Welcome to th World’. It is only about £8 - £10 but a lovely new baby gift. Not on the Highstreet also do some lovely baby bits some are personalised. Good luck

moggie57 Mon 04-Feb-19 21:40:57

gift voucher .then the parents can buy what they need.

BradfordLass72 Mon 04-Feb-19 21:50:35

I don't know if anyone else has suggested this but it's possible to buy and plant a tree through several agencies in the UK.
As the tree grows so does the child and can go visit it. I believe you can even have a commemorative plaque.

BradfordLass72 Mon 04-Feb-19 21:52:09

This is just one place, there are several others:

treesforlife.org.uk/

justwokeup Mon 04-Feb-19 21:56:00

Another vote for Ewan the Dream Sheep. It's so soothing it used to send exhausted Mum and Dad to sleep as well as new GC! But I love Menopaws's sunrise picture idea.

Helennonotion Mon 04-Feb-19 22:13:03

The Royal Mint do some nice gifts for new babies. Something that may increase in value over the years. Im a sucker for coin collections personally!

Itsmyfirstrodeo Mon 04-Feb-19 22:24:26

I'm currently waiting on the birth of my grandchild and these are some wonderful ideas for me to buy all something

grannybuy Mon 04-Feb-19 22:31:48

I very often give books - We're Going on a Bear Hunt is one of my favourites. The classics, though lovely, and often beautifully illustrated are a bit heavy for younger children, but they are nice to keep for the future. Anyone familiar with The Elephant and the Bad Baby?

Oldbird Mon 04-Feb-19 23:02:34

I’ve bought an unusual moneybox when I was in the same situation. ?

JudyT Tue 05-Feb-19 08:40:18

endorse the giraffe. New granddaughter loves it, upside down and chewing the feet. Easy for little hands to manipulate.