Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Any ideas for a gift for newborn who will have everything?

(88 Posts)
Glosgran Sun 03-Feb-19 20:31:59

My friend's son and his wife are expecting a first baby in next couple of weeks. I would like to get them a gift to the value of approx £20 - £30. They haven't wanted to find out if it's a boy or girl. His sister has passed on all her baby equipment and her Mum and sisters have already been on a spending spree for the baby. Any ideas on what to get a baby who will have everything?

cassandra264 Tue 05-Feb-19 10:59:35

Lots of lovely ideas here for the baby to enjoy while still very young - but I like the idea of books for later, too. Last year 'The Lost Words' - by Robert McFarlane and fabulously illustrated by Jackie Morris ( Jackie already mentioned on this thread) won an award for the most beautiful book of 2018. It costs about £25 and is worth every penny.
The poems - about conkers, brambles, herons, newts etc. celebrate the natural world in Britain which so many children no longer experience unless they have parents to help them experience same. You would think they would be too difficult for young children to appreciate - but my 5 year old GC loves them.smile

Floradora9 Tue 05-Feb-19 11:56:18

A book inscribed from yourselves. My son loved the thought of a book of nursery rhymes he got as a baby . "What the Ladybird Saw " and "what the Ladybird Heard " have raised ladybirds on the pages and my GC from under a year old could feel them and find them . They are lovely books available from Amazon and good bookshops I hope.

Daddima Tue 05-Feb-19 12:21:27

I’d go for the vouchers, as the baby may be too big (or small) for first size clothes, or may not be the right size for clothes bought for a specific time of year.

Kernowflock Tue 05-Feb-19 12:43:18

What about a photo shoot. Many photographers allow you to buy vouchers. Professional baby photos are all the thing?

jenpax Tue 05-Feb-19 13:05:53

The website notonthehighstreet is excellent for personalised gifts or name a star after the babe and it comes with a gift certificate

Glosgran Sat 09-Feb-19 16:26:27

Thank you all so much for the lovely ideas. I have saved them all for future reference. The parents of this little one both love books. Their wedding had a book theme and the wedding cake was a pile of their favourite titles. On this occasion I have decided to buy a boxed set of books and will add one of the other ideas to go along with it, maybe a photo frame or voucher for a photo shoot. Thanks everyone!

lorna67 Tue 10-Dec-19 02:20:31

well I found that babies nowadays are not allowed loose bedding or soft toys because of fear of sudden death syndrome. my grandson is only now at one being offered a teddy. and books currently approved have changed too. It's a different world. I used to play cassettes of really good baby songs to my kids in the car or at home. Nowadays it is easier for parents to just shout play nursery rhymes at Alexa. The resulting music is poor. Does anyoneanyone know how to access nursery music or songs that are better? that is what I want to give him for Christmas.

yggdrasil Tue 10-Dec-19 09:02:22

savings account

Franbern Tue 10-Dec-19 09:24:53

I think that the best ideas are those which involve sponsoring a tree, or an animal or a child.
If this baby really does have 'everything', then spending your pressie money on these sort of things (Certificate will be provided and you can frame it for them), would be really lovely,.

midgey Tue 10-Dec-19 09:27:00

This baby is now ten months old!

timetogo2016 Tue 10-Dec-19 09:35:56

Premium bonds.
When the baby is older he/she can always cash them in for something they would like.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 10-Dec-19 14:40:23

Buy him/her Winnie-the-Pooh - the book, not a bear! It is a timeless story that can be read and enjoyed at any time of life, after the child learns to speak.

I still have the copy my grandmother gave me before I can remember the occasion. My earliest memories that come flooding back when I look at the pictures is of my father reading it aloud to me when I was three.