Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Pregnancy in the 1970s

(90 Posts)
Freeandeasy Sun 17-Feb-19 16:59:32

I’m writing a book (for my own enjoyment, I might add) but in the remote possibility that it may get published (in my wildest dreams!) I want to get a few facts straight.

My character is 19, the date is 1976 and she has found out she is pregnant by her boyfriend. I was 20 in 1976 so I know a lot about the era, but I’m not sure how she could get a pregnancy test without seeing a doctor then.

I know family planning clinics were around then but my character, as I did then, lives in a small provincial town and the nearest clinic would be in a larger town/city.

I’m pretty sure that over the counter tests weren’t available then, but I have a vague recollection of a College friend of mine getting a test from the local chemist. When I say a test, I mean she bought a sample bottle and was told to bring it back and they then sent it away. She got the result about a week later, which, by the way, much to her relief, was negative.

Would this be feasible, do you think? I also vaguely remembering seeing notices in chemist’s windows advertising pregnancy tests.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

rascal Tue 05-Mar-19 19:53:24

I had my first child a son in 1976 no pregnancy test just missed period. Took urine sample to GP this was 1975. smile

notanan2 Tue 05-Mar-19 20:56:59

What was the internal for? Surely all that did was give you cystitis? I cant imagine the cervix is remarkably different in very early pregnancy?

Harris27 Tue 05-Mar-19 21:49:58

I had my first baby in 1977 really hot summer then as well yes doctor urine test pregnant.. Was really young and had three sons in all how times fly! Been married 42 years in April!

M0nica Tue 05-Mar-19 22:19:01

Well you were already 2 months 'gone'by the time you saw the doctor so there were changes that could be felt on examination.

mcem Wed 06-Mar-19 10:35:52

In 1969 I was about to graduate and get married 2 months later. The advice was to start taking the pill a few weeks in advance. I saw the uni doctor who was sympathetic about troublesome periods and thought it would be sensible to avoid being unwell during exams.
He checked the engagement ring and, all things considered, duly prescribed the pill!
(Didn't have to pay a double prescription for the combined pill.)

Witzend Wed 06-Mar-19 19:33:14

My first was born in 1977. We were living overseas, I never had a test but 'knew' very early on because of tingly boobs.

Had to come back to Uk to have her - local hospital was dire. I was 28 and down in my notes an an 'elderly' primigravida!!
Though to be fair, I was the eldest by quite a bit on the maternity ward.
A far cry from now - dd had hers at 38 and 39, which seems so normal nowadays.

sodapop Wed 06-Mar-19 19:38:29

I took my nursing finals whilst pregnant. I spent the journey the journey to York letting out my uniform. smile

Marydoll Wed 06-Mar-19 20:38:01

notanan2, I too had an internal at my first ante natal appointment.
That was normal procedure at our local maternity hospital in 1979. No ultrasounds then.

notanan2 Wed 06-Mar-19 21:31:49

An internal doesnt give any of the information an ultrasound does it cant have been for those reasons.

I know it was normal proceedure, but how did they justify/rationalise it? The cervix and vagina wouldn't have been remarkably different at that point.

Were they checking for hymens?

MargaretX Wed 06-Mar-19 21:50:36

My two were diagnosed by a late period and an internal examination, later in 1978 I missed a period and bought a test at the chemist but it was negative- Which was the result I wanted.
Your book character will most certainly not have her husband by her side in the labour ward but could have a baby born at home.

Good luck with the book!

Marydoll Wed 06-Mar-19 22:18:48

I think one of the reasons for a vaginal examination at first ante natal visit in the 70s was to allow the doctor to check for any important abnormalities. The doctor would check your vagina and cervix for any sign of infection or deformity that could pose a problem for your pregnancy.

I had three children and it was the same procedure on each occasion in two different hospitals.
I only ever had one ultrasound in three pregnancies and that was only because I had a threatened miscarriage.

Humbertbear Wed 06-Mar-19 23:18:47

I had my babies in 72 and 75. There weren’t the tests available that there are now - no scans. I remember hearing the babies heartbeat when something like an ear trumpet was put on my tummy and it played through a speaker. Also, in 72 we had to fight for my husband to come into the delivery room with me. A sympathetic nurse told him to put on a gown and mask and hold on to the trolley.
You were kept in hospital for a week in 72. By 75 you could go home after 48 hours if you had someone at home to look after you and the health visitor came every day for ten days.
Can I also remind people that even in 1972 being a single mum was frowned upon. A colleague of mine said they tried to remove the baby from her by force and wanted to coerce her into agreeing to an adoption.
When you took the baby home you sat in the front seat of the car holding it. when we went out baby lay in a carry cot on the back seat. When we had a new tangled car seat fitted for one year old people thought we were daft.

M0nica Thu 07-Mar-19 08:09:12

It probably varied from area to area. A friend having a baby in north London in 1967 was discharged from hospital after 6 hours. We were all shocked.

In 1971 in Berkshire, I was kept in for a week after the birth, less than 2 years later, for DD, I, too was discharged officially after 6 hours, but as that would have meant a 7.00am discharge, I wasn't discharged until nearly lunch time.

DH has always had a 'thing' about car safety and fitted front seat belts in his car in about 1966/67, and insisted people used them. With babies we had a carrycot harness in the back of the car and, even for the trip home from hospital, the baby was in the carry cot and strapped in.

Six months later his insistence on car safety saved us from serious injury, if not death, in a car accident. It was the weekend after he had fitted the britax child safety seat in the back for DS. We were all wearing our seat belts and were driving along a country road when someone pulled out from a side road. DH managed to avoid hitting him, but we went across a verge and into a hedge, decelerating heavily. If we had n't been wearing seat belts we would have been catapulted through the wind screen and if DS had been on my lap...........

Franbern Tue 12-Mar-19 18:19:09

Can remember those red Britax car seats for toddlers. Fitting required drilling through the base of the car. My hubbie and Brother in law became quite adept working together to put these in our cars. Had two on the back seat for children born 1969 and 1970.
The Maternity hospital in which I had my first - my son at end of 1969, was pretty primitive. Only a couple of very old baths, no showers, for the whole of the post natal ward and if a Consultant was required for baby, then they had to wait until one could come from the local General Hospital. It was the rule that all first time Mums stayed at least ten days, Mums with other children were permitted home within 48 hours. It was also a standing rule that ALL first-time Mothers had to breast feed.
My husband had been born in the same place in 1942, do not think there had much modernisaton since then and in 1970 it was closed along with many other similiar maternity hospitals. I desperately wanted my husband there for the birth, and gave the Midwife his telephone no at work for him to be called. She never did. So, he arrived a couple of hours after baby's birth during normal visiting time, not even knowing he was a father.
Second time round had baby at home, totally different, great experience and hubbie was with me throughout.