Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Make up advice please!

(48 Posts)
Nannymags27 Mon 18-Feb-19 20:47:41

I’ve never been one to wear make up, although I’ve got a bag full of ancient stuff bought over the last (many) years. But I’m now at the stage where I’m beginnng to look a bit “gran-like” and feel a dab of make up would make all the difference. Where can I get some help with getting a basic, everyday look sorted out? I’ve been online but no one ever looks like me! Do I have to approach the scary women in the beauty departments ?? If so, are there any recommendations of where to go where they appreciate the needs of the “more mature” woman?!

Caro57 Tue 19-Feb-19 11:28:07

Also agree with Look Fabulous Forever- I treated myself to one of their makeovers in their pop up shop. Such fun, wonderful people, so kind and helpful and completely non-judgemental of my, poor, habits - thoroughly recommend them, their products and their videos
Enjoy!!

Matriarch Tue 19-Feb-19 11:36:20

Good skincare makes all the difference , as does shaping eyebrows .If you have never worn make up , a good tinted moisturiser, blush , lipstick and mascara will probably be enough .Watch make up tutorials online .Qvc sell many good quality skin and make up ranges and often demonstrate on older ladies .I recommend Elemis and Laura Geller .

Barmeyoldbat Tue 19-Feb-19 11:46:08

I don't usually wear make up but did go to Boobie Browns in John Lewis when I need some over a Christmas period. Found them friendly and really helpful.

Chino Tue 19-Feb-19 12:12:09

I am 80 and have worn makeup for about 65 years - I absolutely love it. However it is just as important to use skincare regularly. I have plenty of wrinkles now but still look much better with makeup on than without it.
I have found that a lot of the young assistants on makeup counters are really nice and friendly and if you find one that isn't then just walk away and go elsewhere

Jaye53 Tue 19-Feb-19 13:21:17

Thanks Night owl. Won't be buying from those who test on Animalspoppy

nightowl Tue 19-Feb-19 13:35:16

smile

etheltbags1 Tue 19-Feb-19 13:47:04

I wish I could wear make up now and again but foundation just makes my face Slippy, eye liner goes like panda eyes and I can't keep my eyes still enough to apply it, eye shadow just dissapears. I usually just wear some hives moisture face cream with slightly pencilled eyebrows and a bit of loopy if I remember

lizzypopbottle Tue 19-Feb-19 14:04:53

They have make up tutorials right here on GN! I've watched a few.

Newatthis Tue 19-Feb-19 14:30:32

I've started to use Rosehip Oil (pure essential) just before going to bed - it's fabulous. My skin looks 10 years younger and all the blemishes have disappeared. Not make-up I know but it's worth trying for a few days before you decide upon a makeover. Don't be put off by the fact that it is oil - it's suitable for all skin (a miracle worker)

Hm999 Tue 19-Feb-19 14:31:37

There are make- up groups online where people discuss things exactly like this.

Nannymags27 Tue 19-Feb-19 15:54:15

Thanks all! Plenty of food for thought. X

Magrithea Tue 19-Feb-19 16:41:37

As others have said, chuck out the ancient stuff - it doesn't have a long shelf life.

I had a lovely session at our local Bobbi Brown shop - a lovely make up artist chatted about the products and helped chose the right products. It's not cheap but very good quality, the mascara was amazing! Less is more when you get older - no scary eyebrows! - and a lighter lip gloss rather than the heavy matt lipsticks is my favourite look

GabriellaG54 Tue 19-Feb-19 17:37:39

I vote for Susan Miller (US) a 74 yr old lady whose personality shines through, with or without make-up.
Her YouTube videos encompass make-up and other beauty blogs, travel (she takes us with her) clothes and family plus her home and anything new she's bought.
This is not a woman who's had botox, lifts or implants. She shows you her imperfe tions and how to make the best of yourself.
She also tells you where she bought the items and the cost.
Her YouTube channel is PattiRockstarMom.
Her daughter is an events organiser and mingles with rock stars, hence the name.
The other suggestion is Dominique Sachse, a Canadian news presenter who does all her own make-up and buys her own clothes, both on and off set.
She does full make up on herself, models her own clothes and mostly dyes her hair herself.
She takes you up the hairdressers when she has it styled, has eyebrow threading and tattooing, botox around her eyes and hot stone spa treatments and massages, all on video (every Thursday)
She takes you on holidays with her husband and we get to meet her 6 step-children. She does flower arrangements and fitness videos, all at home.
She also tells you where she purchases beauty products and clothes and the cost.
Dominique is in her 50s.

GabriellaG54 Tue 19-Feb-19 17:42:35

Sorry.
up to
imperfe tions imperfections.

Shizam Tue 19-Feb-19 20:44:38

Bare Minerals do nice foundation, which I need to cover thread veins.
They did a great makeover for free to test out products. I also use a JML powder, bit of blusher, too.
Maybe some eye pencil and tiny bit of mascara. Used to love makeup and I looked good in it. Now I feel I suit a less full-on look.
Oh and Elizabeth Arden tinted lip balm.

Selsey99 Tue 19-Feb-19 21:09:10

Well done for not buying makeup tested on animals jaye53

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 20-Feb-19 09:35:53

Less is more, I think. A small dab of lipstick will brighten you up, maybe a little foundation and blusher can make all the difference, Too little is better than too much.

annodomini Wed 20-Feb-19 10:28:30

I try to buy products not tested on animals. Look for the leaping rabbit logo.
Liz Earle products work for me. Being naturally pallid, I wear a little blusher - nothing too obvious: the 'camelia' shade is my choice. I was surprised to fined a moisturiser in M&S with the rabbit logo at a very reasonable price. It works as well as any moisturiser I've tried. Lipstick is my bugbear. Nothing seems to last!

annodomini Wed 20-Feb-19 10:29:11

fined! find, of course.

grannysue05 Wed 20-Feb-19 14:16:34

Can anyone recommend an eyeshadow brand that is not glittery or shimmery.
I prefer powder types as I find them easier to apply.
Have tried for months to find a soft shade of coffee/caramel. Also a very subtle plum/purple.
Grateful for advice.

GabriellaG54 Wed 20-Feb-19 20:09:57

Superdrug have many brands and, as I often shop there, you can be assured that they sell non-glittery eye-shadows under lots of brand names. Try looking on their website for the shades you prefer.
Good luck.

GabriellaG54 Wed 20-Feb-19 20:48:08

grannysue05
Here are some I found online. With respect, do remember that the colour will be milder/paler on the eye unless you layer it to your satisfaction.
Prices will differ according to where you buy the item.