Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Old Wives Tale.....Egg Water and Warts!

(84 Posts)
Kateykrunch Mon 11-Mar-19 11:10:35

I was brought up believing that if you touched the water that eggs had been boiled in then you would get warts, I still avoid the water. But, I watched Jamie Oliver yesterday, he was steaming salmon and in the pan of boiling water he was cooking the green beans, but then, horror or horrors, he put 2 eggs (in their shells) into the same water as the beans!!! Oh my goodness, at worst those eggs have been up a chickens bum! I have to say it was my Mum who told me this, she also told me we lived next door to Cliff Richard and that she played table tennis for England, oh and I am a bit gullible, but really why would you cook the beans in the same water as a germy egg shell?

Gonegirl Tue 12-Mar-19 19:03:04

I always have to wash my hands after I've cracked an egg open. Can't get over the salmonella thing. I'm trying to get myself out of doing it. But I am risk adverse.

Jalima1108 Tue 12-Mar-19 19:03:46

Have none of you ever used egg white as a face mask.
Yes petra - it tightens up the skin for a temporary facelift!
and oats and honey mixed together (but not with the egg).

Hands up all the GNers who handle eggs, whether frying, boiling, scrambling (or any other method) then wash their hands before touching any other food.
Raw eggs? Then I'll put my hands in the air, but only because my hands are sticky from egg white!

Millie8 Tue 12-Mar-19 20:15:30

I have had eggs with poo and feathers stuck to them many a time. Boiling might kill germs but I wouldnt like to eat beans from poopy water!!

Fennel Tue 12-Mar-19 20:34:02

You do have to be careful with chicken poo. I once got a bad dose of diarrhoea from it. Mistakenly licking the spoon after scraping some leftovers for them and picking some up in the process.

Happysexagenarian Tue 12-Mar-19 20:45:43

When I was a child my Mum put eggs into the kettle to boil them. Afterwards the water would have been used for tea or cooking other things. I did the same when we went camping. Never had any problems and definitely not warts!

Greengage Wed 13-Mar-19 16:37:30

Grammaretto I have a double boiler and always use the lower pan for boiling eggs, as my mother did before me!

Grammaretto Thu 14-Mar-19 21:55:46

Greengage grin

flores Thu 14-Mar-19 23:05:26

We were told it would give us warts. Always thought it was an Irish tale. I always wash my eggs when I take them home.