Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Thinning hair

(7 Posts)
Alexa Wed 20-Mar-19 20:42:16

My hair is like candyfloss too without argan oil. Argan oil does not make my hair look thicker but it does make it look younger and healthier.

skate Wed 20-Mar-19 20:25:54

Gillybob - the problem with the hair weave is that you cannot take it off and although your own hair is sparse it continues to grow underneath, curls up on itself because it has nowhere to go, and then drives you mad with the itching. I paid for mine in instalments which made it more affordable, but honestly, don't be sad if the funds aren't there, I really wouldn't recommend it as a long term solution. I managed a year before begging for it to be removed. I can take my wig off indoors and wash my hair/head which is a great feeling. You never get that refreshed feeling with a weave.

gillybob Wed 20-Mar-19 11:53:35

I thought I was cracking up ? I knew I had posted on an identical thread yesterday . confused

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 19-Mar-19 12:00:50

Hi skate, there are few tips here from previous threads on hair volumisers for thinning hair.

We've also got a page on hairstyles for thinning hair which might be useful. It's a topic that comes up on Gransnet quite frequently so we're sure more users will be along shortly with more advice.

Poppyred Tue 19-Mar-19 11:55:08

Have you tried hair fibres such as Toppik? It hides the scalp and comes in all shades.

gillybob Tue 19-Mar-19 11:42:46

I totally sympathise with you Skate ( no help I know) but I am 57 and my hair has been falling out at an alarming rate for a couple of years now . I have masses of hair in the sides and back and very little on the top making my scalp shine through. My GP has zero sympathy andbadically has a “get on with it attitude”. What they don’t understand is how this zaps your confidence and is very depressing and upsetting . If I could afford it I would have a weave ( I can’t so it doesn’t matter) and would suffer the discomfort just to get some confidence back .

skate Tue 19-Mar-19 11:35:35

I am desperate to find a product that will make my very fine thin hair look fuller. I have tried them all and nothing seems to work. My hair is so bad now (my scalp is visible) that I have totally lost confidence when going out and have resorted to wearing a wig. It's a good solution and far more preferable to the expensive hair weave I had done a few years back but which was hideously uncomfortable. But I am so envious of ladies like me of similar age (74)who I see with heads full of abundant hair. Mine is like candyfloss. I suppose I am looking for a miracle but I wondered if anybody had a solution or could recommend a product.