Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fashion dilemma

(71 Posts)
4allweknow Sun 24-Mar-19 12:47:34

Fed up buying clothes that don't suit. I am 72, 5'5 size 16 and have the belly and waist problem. I live outside a small town with the only dept store being a very small Debemhams. I really have to shop on-line. I would really like reasonably smart casual for day wear that I can add say a more dressed up top for going out at night. I feel I look scruffy and wearing the same style all the time. I have tried JD??? but find their stuff old fashioned. Any suggestion/help out their. I have a reasonable but not lavish budget eg John Lewis would be kind of expensive generally.

RillaofIngleside Mon 01-Apr-19 13:31:30

Sorry Double posted.

RillaofIngleside Mon 01-Apr-19 13:29:15

I love Masai clothes which can dress up or down but a bit more expensive. They last well. I also wear White stuff and Fat face.

PernillaVanilla Mon 01-Apr-19 10:19:05

Primark quality and longevity is not always bad. I have a maxi dress that I bought in 2014. It has a very strappy top so I wear it over a swimsuit or T shirt on holiday. I have just dug it out of my summer clothes box and it is just fine for another year. It is in some sort of Aztec type print and I always get compliments on it. I've also been very pleased with Primark active wear which I buy for the gym when I'm hoping to need a smaller size soon... it is a good job it does last as that seldom happens.

HildaW Thu 28-Mar-19 09:31:43

Jaxie, funny I find the exact opposite, have to wear a belt with some of my trousers!

Jaxie Wed 27-Mar-19 20:42:06

Rohan waist sizes are very small.

jacq10 Tue 26-Mar-19 20:22:59

Marydoll - I was ahead of you in the shops!! IKEA on Saturday and also Sainsbury's. I wish I stayed a bit closer to both. Really like TU. I always seem to get something I like colourwise and style. I also love the children's section.

Marydoll Tue 26-Mar-19 19:55:41

Bonmarche have 20% both online and instore for teh next five days, if you spend over £20.
I was in Sainbury's today and there are some nice pieces, at reasonable prices available in the TU department.
Luckily, I was short of time or I would have been carried away. grin

Lily65 Tue 26-Mar-19 18:42:40

Hilda, quite agree.

Lioness68 Tue 26-Mar-19 18:00:08

I used to love Bon Marche, for over 20 years I was able to buy most of my clothes there. For the last few years it has been terrible. Other customers are complaining on their website too. Bring back David Emanuel. I was trying to find an outfit for a family wedding last month, absolutely nothing.
However, I have discovered Marisota and bought two lovely outfits from there and they are very reasonably priced too.

netflixfan Tue 26-Mar-19 11:51:51

I thought I was the only one who loves M&Co! I used to work near one of their shops, and I still drive over to visit M&Co to try on. Sales are good
Don't like shopping on line I hate sending stuff back,I'm lucky I've got Car and can drive.

HildaW Mon 25-Mar-19 20:10:04

I too wish we could move away from 'disposable' clothing. So many times I've seen people walk away from the likes of Primark with loaded bags and wonder how long this cheap stuff lasts. You only have to do the maths to wonder what the poor souls who make it have to go through to earn a decent wage.
I can vividly remember buying my first decent outfit as a 17 year old in my first job. A pleated woollen skirt and matching jumper from M&S that cost me a whole weeks wage £7....had to owe my Mum my keep for a week to cover it. That skirt, lined and made in the UK lasted me 15 years and had to be thrown out because I was fed up with it. The jumper only lasted about 6 years! I so wish we could go back to buying well made well styled clothing that lasted.

moggie Mon 25-Mar-19 19:43:37

M & Co online very good. Good offers & sale also reward system

Kim19 Mon 25-Mar-19 19:37:32

My two are 'Land's end' and 'Witt'

MawBroon Mon 25-Mar-19 18:52:02

But as you have recommended Primark in the past GG no surprises there.
Personally I prefer quality over quantity any day, however tempting the cheap as chips wares of such stores might be.
EAST was always a favourite, but since its demise I find myself turning to Sahara and (selectively) to Joules and White Stuff.

hdh74 Mon 25-Mar-19 17:48:04

I really like George at Asda (online as well as in store) for day to day stuff, it wears and washes so much better than M&S and Next and is cheaper.
Also like M and Co and Joules.

Nannytopsy Mon 25-Mar-19 17:09:12

Yours have some good things but you do have to be a bit picky. Several choices of leg length. Also been introduced to Lagenlook, which are quirky.

GabriellaG54 Mon 25-Mar-19 17:05:17

Roman, BonMarche, Debenhams. All so middle of the road. You only have to look at the customers to get a feel for the place. It all melts into the background. Nothing fresh or vibrant or 2019.
Joules, with flowers scattered over nearly every item.

trendygran Mon 25-Mar-19 15:43:25

4allweknow. Your description of yourself is exactly the same for me -age and size. My favourite shop is Roman .plus Bonmarche for Jeans and Debenhams for tops and trousers.Hardly anything in M and S anymore,apart from pjs and underwear. It is difficult to find the right clothes which are not too ‘stuffy’ or too young looking. Good luck.

Bazza Mon 25-Mar-19 15:43:09

Uniqlo is the first place I look. Reasonable prices, good website and customer service. Lots of natural fabrics. Well cut pull on trousers. Stylish without being too young. Sahara is nice but pricey.

Fernbergien Mon 25-Mar-19 15:10:27

Back again ! Ref QVC. I like Quaker and Artscape. Their Diamonique jewellery is good as well. As someone else said - buy scarves. Also nobody mentioned Woolovers. Brilliant knitwear but always wait for sale. Sussex firm I believe.

blue60 Mon 25-Mar-19 15:00:48

Seasalt & Joules are my 'go to' for colours and styles.

Panache Mon 25-Mar-19 14:54:03

Whilst there are a few recommendations for QVC which I have favoured over the years there has been one or two adverse comments about Ruth Langford.
This lady is relatively new to the site and quite frankly I would say she has stretched her "talents" too far...........she is copying other well known much respected fashion houses but tweaking them just enough to get away with having her name on the label!!!
I would certainly avoid her.
My favourites for good every day wear would be Kim & Co and H by Halston,but for real style you cannot beat Coco Bianca and my top favourite without a doubt.......the slightly pricey Marla Wynn.
This lady wins with every single garment she designs as far as I am concern ed!

Alexa Mon 25-Mar-19 14:33:10

I recommend George and Tu for value for money.

The main attribute of something that suits me is a fined-down silhouette . I'm the same shape as the OP and for me, that means straight or bootcut trousers and skimming top to cover buttocks.

Theoddbird Mon 25-Mar-19 14:24:19

Year before last I bought an outfit from an eBay shop for a funeral. Arty style linen dress and coat. I loved it and have since bought six dresses the same but different colour To son's wedding in June will be wearing white dress with pink and grey flowers and the same coat as funeral but in white. So what I am saying is when you find the perfect style buy it in loads of colours. It has changed my whole way of dressing as the pinifore dresses are so versatile.

Rowantree Mon 25-Mar-19 14:22:32

Oh, annnnd may I recommend a lovely online shop called Kettlewell Colours. They have a wonderful selection of separates and accessories in seasonal colours. They aren't cheap but you can buy coordinating items in various styles and colours. Worth a look!