Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much cleaning is enough?

(128 Posts)
hdh74 Tue 26-Mar-19 16:58:24

Ok, this might be silly, but now there's only two of us the cleaning routine I used to have seems excessive and life really is too short to do it for the sake of it. But then I find I do a room I haven't done in a while and I'm shocked at how much dust there is. We don't really make much mess and what we do is soon cleaned up Worktops, the kitchen floor, and the loo just need doing daily as they get visibly grubby. And the bathroom generally seems to get dusty and grubby really fast so I tend to give that a 'quickie' most days.
What does anyone else find is a comfortable amount?

Brunette10 Tue 26-Mar-19 17:06:03

hgh74, I always like a clean and tidy house so I do each room every day, quick dust and hoover with my cordless vacuum which zooms around the house in no time, we stay in a bungalow so I often think that's easier to keep. Quick wash around shower room/toilet. However normally on a Sunday I do the whole house properly. i.e. kitchen, all sanitary ware and furniture gets a damp cloth clean buffed up with a duster. I just find that this routine albeit some may say OTT works for us. On the days our DGC are here it gets left until they go and the following day gets a good clean over. It' not for everyone I know and as you say life is short, however routines have always been part of my life and get crabby if I don't meet them. smile

PamelaJ1 Tue 26-Mar-19 17:15:30

I have to be in the mood.
Yesterday I did the conservatory, to within an inch of its life!
Now I’ll just do a quick hoover and dust till I’m in the mood again.
Did all the kitchen cupboards a couple of weeks ago.

Gonegirl Tue 26-Mar-19 17:21:04

Well, I've got down to a quick go round with my cordless on a Friday, and dusting when I feel like it. Might pick up the bits from the kitchen floor partway through the week, but floor only gets washed weekly.

I do the Fly Lady Swish and Swipe in the bathroom every day when I've finished doing me.

I sometimes dust upstairs using my socks from the day before.

chelseababy Tue 26-Mar-19 17:22:23

Try The Organised Mum Method - it gives you a daily Mon - Thu schedule and a Friday Focus. There are printable sheets. I'm on my 3rd week and finding it really helpful. There's also a Facebook page.

Gonegirl Tue 26-Mar-19 17:22:29

I used to clean the whole house regularly on a Monday. Up and down! shock

Gonegirl Tue 26-Mar-19 17:23:32

Sorry chelseababy but all I can say was o that is - shudder!!!

KatyK Tue 26-Mar-19 17:27:52

I was more organised when I was working. Now I'm retired, I think 'oh I can do that tomorrow' so everything gets put off. The house is usually tidy and (reasonably) clean.

NfkDumpling Tue 26-Mar-19 17:28:35

Oh gosh! I’m a slob. I clean when it looks dirty/grubby/dusty. Other stuff takes priority and housework gets done when there’s nothing else to do. The only things I’m sure to do daily is make the bed, wash up and tidy a bit.

KatyK Tue 26-Mar-19 17:31:12

I read this somewhere 'Women with perfect homes lead very dull lives'.

FlexibleFriend Tue 26-Mar-19 17:38:08

I do what needs doing as and when, I'm not into routines. Today the bathroom had a very thorough clean that went above and beyond. I'm having a well deserved rest now.

hdh74 Tue 26-Mar-19 17:43:03

Mmmm, I think I need to get better at quick cleans, like the swish and swipe thing. I tend to clean really thoroughly, and take ages then not feel like doing it till I end up cleaning it really well again.

Grandma70s Tue 26-Mar-19 17:46:32

Blimey.

I’m with NfkDumpling. Make beds, wash up, tidy up a bit. Otherwise, do housework only when absolutely necessary. There are much better things to do with life.

MawBroon Tue 26-Mar-19 17:48:25

I subscribe to the Quentin Crisp theory , the antithesis of Kim and Aggie or Marie Kondo

www.goodreads.com/quotes/203750-there-is-no-need-to-do-any-housework-at-all

hdh74 Tue 26-Mar-19 17:51:36

And thanks for all your replies, some good suggestions that I'll probably meld into some sort of fit of my own. smile

Brunette10 Tue 26-Mar-19 17:55:02

Think it’s best to say ‘ we are all different’. What pleases some does not please others. That’s life.

sodapop Tue 26-Mar-19 18:00:12

3 x dogs, 1 x cat, 1 x husband = a constant round of vacuuming, floor washing, need I go on.

chelseababy Tue 26-Mar-19 18:12:08

gonegirl - I don't always stick to the schedule but it's only 45 minutes 5 days a week. If I get a better offer I'm off!

Telly Tue 26-Mar-19 18:15:04

Vac, dust, the main rooms once a week ditto kitchen. Worktops properly once or twice a week. They are a dark granite and not my best but. Really I do think that there's more to life than cleaning.

glammanana Tue 26-Mar-19 18:19:33

I was more organised when I worked full time but still do a bit everyday as I must not have mess of any sort.
With there being just two of us though it never gets too bad at all I dust everyday because I like the windows open all weathers and the dust collects quickly.
Kitchen floor and bathroom is done every day as are the worktops,
Things such as windows etc are done about every month and bedding is changed and washed twice a week so not too bad really.

Buffybee Tue 26-Mar-19 18:25:31

I'm quite tidy so I think that helps with the house looking generally ok but apart from the Swish and Swipe of the bathroom and the kitchen counters every day, the rest of my cleaning is quite random, as and when it's needed.

Iam64 Tue 26-Mar-19 18:41:25

I'm with Maw - I'm not quite Quentin Crisp but the idea of housekeeping/cleaning as set out in the OP had me feeling I must be a grubby individual, swiftly followed by the certainty that no, I'm not grubby, I live in a clean, comfortable house.

We have to full days of caring for 4 small grandchildren, share our house with our own 2 dogs and often a 3rd, who allegedly belongs to one of the adult children.

We both enjoy a variety of things outside the home, including of course the garden. Who has time to clean, dust, wipe down every room , every day. Not this domestic (non) goddess

Day6 Tue 26-Mar-19 18:45:55

No routine as such.

Sinks and loos are kept clean daily, as are worktops, but those are the sorts of basic cleaning jobs you do as you go . (No pun intended for loo cleaning...)

OH helps but we tend to clean up messes as we make them. I certainly don't go looking for housework or feel as if I am a slob if I don't do it. I'd rather be out enjoying myself, or indoors, reading or writing.

If we have friends coming to stay the whole house is given a good cleaning from top to bottom and that suffices for months!

Fennel Tue 26-Mar-19 18:50:15

It depends on your nature. I'm not fussy about cleanliness but like tidiness. Husband is rather OCD so does most of the cleaning.

Gonegirl Tue 26-Mar-19 18:56:38

My DH cleans the sink once a week on a Sunday while he listens to the Archers omnibus. Makes a very thorough job of it. Doesn't do much else indoors though.