Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sprouting Spuds

(81 Posts)
Heather51 Tue 26-Mar-19 18:26:31

Hi Everyone, looking for some advice on keeping potatoes. I think I’ve tried everything but hoping somebody has something I haven’t tried.
The problem is that the potatoes I buy in the supermarket start to sprout within a day or two of buying. I keep them in a cool dark cupboard. I have tried taking out of bags and laying out on newspaper, keeping in paper bags, a cloth bag and also the plastic bags they are sold in. Doesn’t matter which method I use they soon start shooting away at a great rate of knots.
Are they keeping them too long in the stores before selling them or storing them wrongly making it impossible to keep for long at home? ?
Any suggestions gratefully received.

aggie Tue 26-Mar-19 18:32:17

It is a combination of all those things , I just knock off the sprouting bits and cook the spuds , unless they are also wrinkly . Our local farm shop used to sell loose potatoes but there was no uptake so they are back to the plastic bags , i keep some in the salad drawer in the fridge if I have room , otherwise eat them faster smile

phoenix Tue 26-Mar-19 18:36:17

I don't seem able to keep potatoes either! Plus have an aversion to handling sprouting ones blush

Fortunately Mr P is quite happy to deal with them, and will peel, boil and mash them to be put into tubs for the freezer!

Liz46 Tue 26-Mar-19 18:36:39

Years ago we used to buy a huge sack (not plastic) of potatoes and store them in the garage. These potatoes had not been washed. Now I think carrots and potatoes are washed and then put in plastic bags. Sometimes the pointed ends of the carrots are soggy and disgusting. The best before date on most of the potatoes in Asda is 2 days away!

Gonegirl Tue 26-Mar-19 18:37:39

Most important thing is to keep them in the dark. And keep them cool.

I just cut sprouts off too.

Gonegirl Tue 26-Mar-19 18:38:45

phoenix grin

Maggiemaybe Tue 26-Mar-19 18:43:02

I can’t help, I’m afraid, as our potatoes seem to last ages. We keep them in the cellar, so in total darkness, but they’re often washed and in plastic bags. If we do get any sprouts though, I just snap them off.

phoenix Tue 26-Mar-19 18:50:21

I do keep them in the dark!

The buggers still sprout though.

Buffybee Tue 26-Mar-19 18:56:39

I keep potatoes in the fridge, as I wouldn't eat them if they had sprouts on them.
I think that I have your fear of the sprouts phoenix.☺

EllanVannin Tue 26-Mar-19 18:57:44

I threw quite a few sprouted ones out this afternoon after I'd been to Asda. I can't bring myself to eat them even if I knock the sprouts off as I always think of them being poisonous once they sprout. I'm a terrible waster but I'd rather dump them.

Fennel Tue 26-Mar-19 19:01:38

We used to grow our own potatoes. After harvesting we put them in paper sacks in a dark place to deter sprouting.
Some species sprout quicker than others.
As others have said once they've sprouted you can still use them.
I saw some in the supermarket labelled treated to prevent sprouting. I don't think it's worth the risk.
"Chemical inhibitors such as chlorpropham (CIPC) and maleic hydrazide are useful in controlling and preventing potato sprouts.8 Oct 2018"

Heather51 Tue 26-Mar-19 19:22:33

Thanks all for your comments. I also still use them after removing the shoots but I’m sure they never used to grow so quickly. Fortunately, I don’t have your aversion Pheonix. I have never thought about mashing potatoes for the freezer, thank you for that idea. ?

phoenix Tue 26-Mar-19 19:28:17

Buffybee wouldn't exactly call it a "fear" of sprouts, they just make me go "urgh" for some reason!

However, as mentioned, mashed potato freezes really well, and if you (or, in my case, Mr P wink) make a batch and freeze them in suitable portions, it saves a lot of hassle.

Only 1 starchy pan to wash, then when you want mash, just take it out in the morning, either zap in the microwave, or if you have the oven on for something else, decant into an oven proof dish and bung in!

midgey Tue 26-Mar-19 19:56:01

You could always plant the sprouting ones. grin

merlotgran Tue 26-Mar-19 19:57:56

It's the time of year, I'm afraid. Main crop potatoes have just about had their chips!! Keeping them in the dark won't really make much difference but keeping them cool will help.

Just knock the sprouts off and peel them.

phoenix Tue 26-Mar-19 19:59:54

You're we!come, Heather51 smile

We've been doing it for ages, seems to work pretty well!

lutongranny Tue 26-Mar-19 20:11:07

if you like you can plant the sprouting ones, it is chitting and grow your own potatoes. I find them most delicious..

merlotgran Tue 26-Mar-19 20:17:21

They may have been treated to prevent them sprouting, lutongranny

Jalima1108 Tue 26-Mar-19 22:55:46

It's the time of year, I'm afraid. Main crop potatoes have just about had their chips!!
You beat me to it merlotgran! !

I have a 'potato bag (canvas, with a dark lining) to keep them in but they still sprout. Apparently they shouldn't be kept in the fridge. When I peel them, I dig the 'eyes' out with the end of the potato peeler, unless they are too 'sprouty'.

DH won't plant them in case they introduce disease, he will only plant the seed potatoes from the garden centre.

phoenix Tue 26-Mar-19 23:05:06

Confused of North Devon.....

20.17. merlotgran they may have been treated to prevent them sprouting, lutongranny

So why are they sprouting? confused

Jalima1108 Tue 26-Mar-19 23:07:43

If the sprouty bits look black, then I presume that means they have been treated. Baking potatoes often have black sprouts that haven't sprouted properly iyswim.

merlotgran Tue 26-Mar-19 23:40:48

OK.. What happens when you put a potato underground? It sprouts so you can grow more potatoes.

A potato in the dark will send out white spindly shoots. They are reaching for the light. The potato has broken dormancy and wants to grow. The ones from the supermarket may have been treated to stop them sprouting in store. If they are planted they may grow but are not going to be as reliable as seed potatoes.

So why are they sprouting?
Because they have been taken out of their dormant state which is controlled by temperature. Once they warm they will sprout.

merlotgran Tue 26-Mar-19 23:50:23

I can't believe we're getting excited about sprouting spuds. grin grin

Grandma2213 Wed 27-Mar-19 00:22:07

I peel sprouting potatoes, cut the soggy bits off carrots, scrape the discoloured bits off cauliflowers, cut the mouldy bits off bread, scoop the mouldy bits out of jam and eat non smelly food that is past its use by date, as my mother did before me. I have survived for nearly 72 years! How can this be?
PS. Sour milk is a step too far. wink

aggie Wed 27-Mar-19 07:33:36

Sour milk makes lovely scones ;)