Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

big decision today.

(27 Posts)
Fennel Mon 08-Apr-19 11:42:10

Driving - I've been driving regularly since I was in my 20s, but since coming back to England I've been a nervous driver.
This morning I've made a decision - to give up my license.
I was turning right from our street and saw a car coming in the opposite direction, so intended to brake and reverse, because there's only one lane due to parked cars..
But my foot got stuck under the brake pedal and I pushed the accelerator instead shock. Our car is automatic so you only use your right foot and the pedals are close.
I was speeding towards the other driver and thank God swerved at the last minute and cleared him via the left pavement . Otherwise a headon crash .
I have a problem with lifting my right foot - hip damage.
So I saw this as a warning sign. Husband drives, and public transport is good here.

agnurse Mon 08-Apr-19 21:02:34

I'd definitely suggest surrendering your license. If you can't properly lift your foot, that's potentially VERY dangerous.

Keep in mind that while public transit is expensive, vehicles require maintenance, gas, road tax, inspections, insurance, etc. That's not cheap. I suspect that if you compare costs you may find that it's pretty comparable.

Unfortunately the discussion of when to stop driving is never an easy one to have. It's never an easy decision to make, either. Fortunately in my grandparents' cases it didn't go too badly. Dad's mother never drove so she had no license to give up. His dad decided on his own that it was time to stop driving. Mum's dad had to stop as his vision was too poor (diabetic retinopathy). Mum's mother had to undergo a driving ability assessment because she had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. (She failed the exam.) She was convinced for months that some of her kids had set it up so she failed the assessment - Mum explained to her repeatedly that it's a computer exam and there's no way anyone could manipulate it. Sadly, but perhaps fortunately, Grandma has now reached a stage where she's moved into a care facility and no longer asks about her car, likely because she doesn't need it and because she probably doesn't remember having a car.