Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Could it be an allergy?

(28 Posts)
phoenix Wed 17-Apr-19 18:30:26

Hello all, and usual good wishes.

I'm a tad concerned, Mr P ( wonderful chap in many ways) seems to have an aversion to the bin!

He will happily open a bottle of fizz (Cava, Lidls, just over £5 a bottle, before you all think we live a champagne lifestyle!) but seems to be incapable of putting the foil and the wire into our conveniently placed recycling box, and the cork into the equally conveniently placed kitchen bin!

Instead he leaves them on the kitchen worktop confused

Just wondering why?

PS grandad1943 or whatever your name is, please don't bother with your usual sexist comments, I'm sure that there are plenty of women who might do the same.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 17-Apr-19 18:34:23

Phoenix can we swop please as Mr.Gravy is “bin police” here!!!

Has been known to follow people (me in particular) and check that items have been deposited in the correct side of the bin.

phoenix Wed 17-Apr-19 18:52:07

GrannyGravy grin

MawBroonsback Wed 17-Apr-19 18:52:48

It’s perfectly obvious, Mr P knows that the tinfoil, wire, cork etc will walk of their own accord if left long enough.
Failing that, the recycling fairy will oblige when the worktop is so full of corks etc that you can’t get the tea mugs onto it.
Have the teabags learned the trick yet?

phoenix Wed 17-Apr-19 18:56:58

Only if I deal with them Maw!

Although, in fairness, I'm the only tea drinker, and I only have 1 mug of tea a day!

Pittcity Wed 17-Apr-19 19:01:47

My Mr P puts stuff in the bin.... usually the wrong bin!

Septimia Wed 17-Apr-19 19:19:07

Mr S is in charge of the bins here. He puts into the the recycling everything he THINKS should be recycled whether it can be or not. I think the aim is to make the council do more recycling.... confused

cornergran Wed 17-Apr-19 19:26:55

Snap septimia, fortunately we have very tolerant bin men who smile and put the items back. Mr C usually assumes they made a mistake and tries again. It’s a case of who holds out the longest hmm. Me? I scream a silent scream and try to sneak the offending items into the non recycling bin. grin.

phoenix Wed 17-Apr-19 19:27:00

Septima if we put something into the recycling that they won't take (for example black plastic) they have been known to refuse the whole lot!

Nico97 Wed 17-Apr-19 19:38:53

My DH does exactly the same Phoenix grin

Callistemon Wed 17-Apr-19 19:53:46

DH is very good if I volunteer him to clear up the kitchen after I have cooked a meal - as he has just done whilst I am 'researching on the internet' ie on GN.
However, I know I will go out there in a minute and find a bowl half full of dirty water, surfaces not properly wiped down and some dishes left 'for tomorrow'.

He is, however, quite good at recycling and quite bossy about it too!

Callistemon Wed 17-Apr-19 19:54:51

You could make a cork board phoenix

phoenix Wed 17-Apr-19 21:11:36

Callistemon definitely NO to a cork board, have just got rid of one (in the home office) and replaced it with a magnetic white board!

However, I am actually collecting some corks from sparkling wine bottles to be part of a wreath for next Christmas, I've only had the base thing and the spray paint for, oh, about 3 years!

Doodle Wed 17-Apr-19 21:24:43

My DH not only sorts out the recycling but also cleans up the kitchen, stacks the dishwasher and puts all the towels and tea towels on the radiator to dry. Always puts his dirty clothes in the laundry bin and hangs up all his other clothes as soon as he takes them off. Yes he is perfect. Can you borrow him - no chance ?

lilypollen Wed 17-Apr-19 22:01:47

With exceptions generally DHs are useless. Mine, after 40+ years, doesn't know my MO for rubbish recycling, where spare wine lives (ok, not such a bad deal) where kitchen implements live, I bloomin' despair.

Callistemon Wed 17-Apr-19 22:40:05

Mine's not at all useless, he is just allergic to washing up!

SisterAct Wed 17-Apr-19 22:44:52

Doodle my DH must be related to yours, as just the same and cleans and irons. ?

Callistemon Wed 17-Apr-19 22:46:30

ps the dishwasher was neatly stacked, full, but not switched on grin

MiniMoon Wed 17-Apr-19 22:48:23

Mr MM empties the bin, and takes the rubbish out, but he never replaces the bin bag, that's always left to me!
He gets as far as the work top above the dishwasher with his cups, plates etc, but they do t get I to it unless I put them there.
I'm sorry that he's useless in the house. He makes up for i t outside though, we have a beautiful garden.?

ninathenana Thu 18-Apr-19 09:32:30

You do indeed have very tolerant bin men cornergran
DH absent mindedly put a couple of strips of wood shavings right on top of the contents of the recycling bin. They would have very easily been removed, instead they slapped a red sticker on the lid and left the bin unemptied.
DH is religious about recycling he will wash and bin everything recyclable. I do mostly but have been known to just chuck things in the general waste if I CBA

shysal Thu 18-Apr-19 09:47:00

Get him to put the corks at the foot of the bed to prevent night cramps, but not the wires and foil! smile

Nonnie Thu 18-Apr-19 10:47:45

I am an optimist! There is a place in the kitchen where I put anything DH has left around and eventually he realises and moves it (where is anyone's guess but I never look in his study) yesterday there were some old batteries and a hack saw I found hanging on a pruned tree from days ago. Latest project is moving the kitchen chair he has been sitting on and putting it in the middle of the kitchen. Hopefully one day he will ask why and I will tell him it is because he never puts it back under the table grin

Don't agree it is all men, my DSs are very organised at home but not so much here.

shysal Thu 18-Apr-19 11:17:51

My ex-DH used to leave empty envelopes and junk mail around when he had opened the post. These and anything else like old newspapers from the floor (Grrr!) I used to dump on his chair in the study and shut the door on them.

humptydumpty Thu 18-Apr-19 11:53:16

Wow Doodle does your hubby have any single brothers!!??

grandtanteJE65 Thu 18-Apr-19 11:58:03

Most men are constitutionally incapable of assimilating the ramifications of re-cycling.

In the days where everything went into the same bin they could just about manage, although if in those days you had a bin, a hens' pail and a pigs ' pail they were not capable of remembering what the hens did not eat.

Nowadays their default system "Leave it to mother" kicks in when they need to throw anything out.

They have similar difficulty and a similar solution when it comes to remembering which day of the week is bin day.