Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Nans and Grans, Fess up time (lighthearted!)

(33 Posts)
BrandyButter Fri 19-Apr-19 17:31:44

I never had the confidence to rebel when younger, I am much more the outspoken pensioner now who won't put up with any unfairness to others and will stand up for anybody or anything. I seem to believe I am Wondergran or something!! Maybe I am making up for lost time grin

agnurse Fri 19-Apr-19 17:21:50

My mum and her Year 8 class went on strike back in about 1970. They were wanting to move some kids out of the class and everyone liked the class as it was. So, after lunch, they went and sat down in their homeroom and refused to move. The teachers and principal came and told them they couldn't go on strike and they said, "Well, we just did."

In the end they won grin

TerriBull Fri 19-Apr-19 17:15:45

Amnesty International
Baby seals being clubbed to death for their fur, I remember Spike Milligan speaking at that one.
I think there were a couple of others, but I've forgotten blush

Anniebach Fri 19-Apr-19 17:10:41

Fox hunting. Badger culling. Freedom for Mandela. Coal mine closures. Iraq War. Also campaigns against the death penalty, freedom for the Birmingham Six, the Bridgewater Three . The Cardiff Three

Cherrytree59 Fri 19-Apr-19 17:06:07

At high school we had a couple of sit outs on the school field (nice weather)
We achieved out aim.

The school uniform rules were changed to allow girls to wear trousers or skirts.

I am afraid that is my only demonstration this far.

However I am very proud of my grandparents who marched in the the hungry thirties.
They also marched for better wages, hours and holidays for the Clyde-side ship-workers and Singer factory workers.
I have book with picture of my gran on a march!

My Grandfather also went on a Scottish Poll tax march.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 19-Apr-19 16:58:02

Oh I went on CND very early on. Greenham Common when I could and Iraq.

It is natural and uplifting to see the young questioning the parents world. They are learning to question and critique.

Very healthy.

callgirl1 Fri 19-Apr-19 16:43:36

I`m very dull and boring, have never demonstrated against anything.

Meg54 Fri 19-Apr-19 16:30:45

Sooooo,
Watching the news about Extinction Rebellion and their demonstrations set me wondering.
What were you demonstrating about when younger - and what do you think about it now?.