Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Holiday,what to do

(43 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Sat 20-Apr-19 17:30:03

My son and his new wife have invited me to spend a week driving round Spain.My immediate reaction was to say no as I have become very anxious travelling. Last time I went with him I was ill with food poisoning the whole week.Im also worried as he has only passed his driving test and had never driven in Spain.I think I'd rather have a quiet week at home but don't want to offend them.

kircubbin2000 Mon 22-Apr-19 12:03:01

They are in their mid 40s and quite adventurous so I decided not to go .Last time they were away they went hiking in S America!

henetha Mon 22-Apr-19 10:01:50

I'm with Monica on this.

Razzy Mon 22-Apr-19 09:55:36

I would say no, but say you would like them to ask you again, especially if closer to home.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 22-Apr-19 08:32:06

I think that M0nica has it just right. A polite but firm no, "Thank you for thinking of me but I must decline".

Eloethan Mon 22-Apr-19 00:33:42

More than food poisoning,I'd be worried about a newly qualified driver driving in another country on the "wrong" side of the road and with different traffic regulations.

It's very nice of them to ask but I would politely say no on the grounds that driving around in the heat is likely to be tiring for you and may make you feel nauseous.

Grandmama Sun 21-Apr-19 20:23:51

It would not be my idea of a holiday. Spanish driving is not like UK driving- and on the other side of the road possibly in a right hand drive car shock - I'd thank them for thinking of me but I'd stay at home.

Lily65 Sun 21-Apr-19 16:47:26

How old are they?

Theoddbird Sun 21-Apr-19 16:30:06

Can't think of anything worse...say no.

M0nica Sun 21-Apr-19 16:19:49

Why on earth would they be upset if you just said 'Thank you for the offer, but as you know I was quite ill last time and I am not getting any younger so I do want to risk spoiling your holiday again'

If it was my son that is what I would say and I cannot imagine him taking any offence.

Aepgirl Sun 21-Apr-19 14:53:02

I think you should say ‘yes’. If you refuse you might not be asked again. Just be thankful that you have been in included.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 21-Apr-19 14:16:11

It appears son and wife, in your words 'are not youngsters' and son having just passed his driving test is not what I would rate 'an experienced driver'.?
That alone would put me off this holiday plus he is not used to driving on a different side of the road. You have to say NO and if he does not like it then tough.

Ginny42 Sun 21-Apr-19 13:44:49

I'm on the inclined to go with them list. They're thinking of you. Do you go on holidays? If not perhaps they're thinking it would be a treat for you. It's only a week and there are so many lovely places to see which you may not get the opportunity to see again. Unless he moves at the speed of F1 drivers you can't get that far in a week if you're going to stop off for sightseeing.

You don't have to be with them all the time. You can say you're going to read and have a siesta. Let them go for dinner alone a couple of nights, say you're a bit tired and want to write some emails/postcards whatever. I think it's also a lovely alternative idea to fly out to where they are for the final couple of days.

Cars have air-con and are cool, it's when you step out of the car it's very hot.

A lot depends on how active you are and whether you can keep pace with them.

ReadyMeals Sun 21-Apr-19 12:24:55

No don't explain the reason! If you tell him you're scared you get food poisoning when you go away with him and you're scared he can't drive properly, he'll be offended. Instead say you'd love to go another time and you're really pleased he asked, but for some reason you just don't feel like it this year. By the time next holiday comes around it may be somewhere with cleaner food and he might have proven his driving skills and you might want to go. But if you tell him why you're not going this year you might not be invited again :D

NannyG123 Sun 21-Apr-19 11:29:53

Decline the offer explaining the reason. I'm sure they will understand. Perhaps suggest a long weekend away with them at another time.

Pix5 Sun 21-Apr-19 11:14:52

I feel sick thinking about the heat, the car, the anxiety, I would say no.

DanniRae Sun 21-Apr-19 11:11:20

It's a "NO" from me too! confused

David1968 Sun 21-Apr-19 10:26:31

1 agree fully with Nanny123. It has to be your choice. If you're not feeling happy about the thought of going, then don't go. A polite refusal now could save you a week of unhappiness later!

Nanny123 Sun 21-Apr-19 10:22:15

If you really dont want to go then you must tell him. Be truthful and say the travelling alone makes you feel anxious but thank him for inviting you along. He will understand

ayokunmi1 Sun 21-Apr-19 10:20:48

What a lovely gesture.
Just decline politely let them.them know your reasons why though.

DoraMarr Sun 21-Apr-19 10:03:10

A lovely thought, but if you really don’t want to go, I would decline gracefully. Could you, as someone unthread has said, fly out to meet them for a long weekend?

Lily65 Sun 21-Apr-19 10:01:59

Have they invited both of you or just one? It seems kind but possibly too much.

Littleannie Sun 21-Apr-19 09:58:57

We once hired a car for a day in Greece. The sun through the glass was so intense that, despite lashings of sun cream, we both got badly burnt. Very bad idea.

clementine Sun 21-Apr-19 09:27:43

As others have said, you should politely decline, but maybe suggest the three of you going somewhere for a couple of days, closer to home where you would feel more relaxed , at a later date?

Oldwoman70 Sun 21-Apr-19 09:15:52

They sound like a lovely couple, but I think I would gracefully decline the offer. You could say that you prefer a quiet holiday in one place but wish them a lovely time exploring Spain.

wildswan16 Sun 21-Apr-19 09:10:05

Are they hiring a car? I think you need at least one or two years full licence even in Spain in order to do that.

My reaction would be to say no thank you - if they are newly married they should have a trip on their own - make that your excuse if you need one.