Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Holiday,what to do

(42 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Sat 20-Apr-19 17:30:03

My son and his new wife have invited me to spend a week driving round Spain.My immediate reaction was to say no as I have become very anxious travelling. Last time I went with him I was ill with food poisoning the whole week.Im also worried as he has only passed his driving test and had never driven in Spain.I think I'd rather have a quiet week at home but don't want to offend them.

aggie Sat 20-Apr-19 17:35:26

I feel like an extra limb when I go with a couple , if they are newly married maybe he is asking you out of politeness . I can't think of anything worse than driving round a hot country with a couple , even if he is your son , just say no not this time !

midgey Sat 20-Apr-19 17:48:02

Sounds a nightmare! But kind and thoughtful of them to invite you, I would definitely say thanks but no thanks.

midgey Sat 20-Apr-19 17:48:40

You never know, perhaps they are crossing their fingers that you will say no!

Sara65 Sat 20-Apr-19 17:49:50

Another vote for no! Not wishing to sound rude, but why would two newlyweds want mother along for the trip? Do they think you might pay?

phoenix Sat 20-Apr-19 17:51:45

Sorry,but can't see the connection between going on holiday with your son, and food poidoning, unless of course he was doing the cooking!

Still, I think that as midgey says, it should be "thanks, but no thanks" on this occasion .

phoenix Sat 20-Apr-19 17:53:00

Aargh! "poisoning"

phoenix Sat 20-Apr-19 17:54:25

What? Still doesn't look right........

crazyH Sat 20-Apr-19 17:57:58

Very nice of your son and. Daughterinlaw to ask you to join them on their trip. If you are an anxious person, its best to excuse yourself politely, your anxiety might ruin their holiday. They are newly married, let them enjoy their honeymoon, so to speak. You don't want to be a gooseberry, do you?
Sara, I wondered that too ?

Auntieflo Sat 20-Apr-19 18:47:15

Phoenix, I liked ‘poidoning’ grin

petra Sat 20-Apr-19 18:52:16

No no no!!
I assume your flying in and hiring?
Let's assume it's Malaga. For an experienced driver this can be confusing let alone someone who has never driven on the right.
The Spanish are not 'forgiving' drivers.
He's likely to say oh, but we have the Satnav, that can cause more confusion grin
If you go ahead be prepared for a hit on the insurance (him being a new driver)
Again, if you do go ahead video every part of the hire car.
There will be little 'dinks'. This video proves that the 'dings' were there before you took over the car.

Lily65 Sat 20-Apr-19 21:06:49

Is she Spanish? Why would a newly married couple wish to drive round Spain with a nervous MIL......er no, I don't think so.

Dawn22 Sat 20-Apr-19 21:26:12

Kir
How very kind of them both. What a wonderful chance to make great memories with them. Grab it with hands otherwise anxiety etc could grip you in a vice. Get on great with your dil and all will be well. I envy you. Don't take the safe route. Dawn

kircubbin2000 Sat 20-Apr-19 21:51:33

They are always wanting me to do things with them, lunch,go over to their new house etc. I think it's because they are not youngsters and want to be part of a family. It also annoys son that his brother never makes an effort even as mum and dad are getting older.

sodapop Sat 20-Apr-19 22:06:05

That is nice of them to include you Kir you must be important to them.
I feel like others that I would decline this time. Driving around in the heat is not fun and if you are anxious it may spoil things for them. Maybe you could fly out and join them for a weekend at the end of their trip.

Grammaretto Sat 20-Apr-19 22:06:46

Definitely say thanks but no thanks. My son and his wife invited me to go to the beach with them and their children today and I said no . The thought of those traffic jams in the heat.
We brought them up to be polite and they are!

GrandmainOz Sun 21-Apr-19 00:50:20

That sounds like a really kind, but slightly ill thought out offer.
It's lovely that your son wants to do things with you.
Can you tell him how deeply you appreciate him and that you'd love to do something quieter another time, but you really think this is a young person's activity and you'd be much happier knowing they're having fun and can't wait to see the photos

wildswan16 Sun 21-Apr-19 09:10:05

Are they hiring a car? I think you need at least one or two years full licence even in Spain in order to do that.

My reaction would be to say no thank you - if they are newly married they should have a trip on their own - make that your excuse if you need one.

Oldwoman70 Sun 21-Apr-19 09:15:52

They sound like a lovely couple, but I think I would gracefully decline the offer. You could say that you prefer a quiet holiday in one place but wish them a lovely time exploring Spain.

clementine Sun 21-Apr-19 09:27:43

As others have said, you should politely decline, but maybe suggest the three of you going somewhere for a couple of days, closer to home where you would feel more relaxed , at a later date?

Littleannie Sun 21-Apr-19 09:58:57

We once hired a car for a day in Greece. The sun through the glass was so intense that, despite lashings of sun cream, we both got badly burnt. Very bad idea.

Lily65 Sun 21-Apr-19 10:01:59

Have they invited both of you or just one? It seems kind but possibly too much.

DoraMarr Sun 21-Apr-19 10:03:10

A lovely thought, but if you really don’t want to go, I would decline gracefully. Could you, as someone unthread has said, fly out to meet them for a long weekend?

ayokunmi1 Sun 21-Apr-19 10:20:48

What a lovely gesture.
Just decline politely let them.them know your reasons why though.

Nanny123 Sun 21-Apr-19 10:22:15

If you really dont want to go then you must tell him. Be truthful and say the travelling alone makes you feel anxious but thank him for inviting you along. He will understand